honeybee's stinger

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

honeybee's stinger

by lukaswelker » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:19 am
Hey Guys, here's the question.

As the honeybee's stinger is heavily barded, staying where it is inserted, this results in the act of stinging causing the bee to sustain a fatal injury:
"¢the heavily barded stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, and results in the act of stinging causing
"¢the honeybee's stinger is heavily barded and stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes

The other three options were easily dismised. But I can't see the mistake in choosing the first over the second. Any advice?

Many thanks
Lukas

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:27 am

As the honeybee's stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inserted, this results in the act of stinging causing the bee to sustain a fatal injury.

A. As the honeybee's stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inserted, this results in the act of stinging causing
B. As the heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes
C. The honeybee's stinger, heavily barbed and staying where it is inserted, results in the fact that the act of stinging causes
D. The heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, and results in the act of stinging causing
E. The honeybee's stinger is heavily barbed and stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes
In A, this lacks a clear antecedent. Eliminate A.

B is not a complete sentence. Where are the subject and the verb? Eliminate B.

C and D each state that the stinger...results in. The STINGER itself cannot result in something; only an ACTION can result in something. Eliminate C and D.

The correct answer is E.

E: The honeybee's stinger stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes the bee to sustain a fatal injury.
Typically, a COMMA + with modifier serves as an ADVERB modifying the action in the preceding clause, explaining HOW the preceding action is performed.
Here, the COMMA + with modifier explains how the stinger STAYS.
Question: HOW does the stinger STAY?
Answer: WITH THE RESULT that the act of stinging causes the bee to sustain a fatal injury.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3