High verbal, low quant

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

High verbal, low quant

by mqt001 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:55 am
Hello,

I am submitting applications this month and I have a concern regarding my GMAT score. My overall score of 680 (39Q, 44V) is average or above average for the programs to which I am applying. However, my quant score is fairly low. My undergrad major is in business and I did well in quant-heavy courses in finance, data analysis, and supply chain management. Should I address this in the optional essay area? Or would it be better not to draw attention to it and hope that my transcript compensates. The I am applying to the full time MBA programs at Ohio State, Vanderbilt, and Florida, and to the South Carolina IMBA program.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:10 pm
In my opinion, it's always best to "take the bull" by the horns in situations like this. No point in hoping they won't notice your quant score -- they will. So your optional essay should definitely point out the quant areas in which you have performed well, both university classes and also any quant-heavy tasks you are relied upon in the workplace. The idea isn't to say "The GMAT is not accurate", but rather, "in spite of my scores, I believe I have the analytical strengths to succeed in your program" and then list your evidence for this belief.

I also suggest that if your quant scores are really below the average for these programs, you might want to voluntarily take some courses, perhaps online at a highly respected venue such as UCLA Business Extension, to show that you are serious about making sure you can handle the work. You don't have to have finished the courses by the time you submit your application, but your commitment will be noted by the admissions readers.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by mqt001 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:46 pm
Thank you for your feedback! What is the best way to go about highlighting my success in math-heavy courses? Will it suffice to simply point out that I made As and Bs in classes x, y, and z on my transcript? I want to make my essay as concise as possible, since there is a 250 word limit.