HIGH GMAT, LOW QUANT

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

HIGH GMAT, LOW QUANT

by wisebrain » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:24 am
I am applying to HBS, Wharton, Stanford, NYU, Kellogg, and Columbia this year. I got a 710 (92%), v.41 (92%) q.47 (79%). I am nervous that my quantitative score is below the magic 80% mark that top schools look for.

At the same time I am not planning to take the GMAT again since I've already taken it twice and don't feel like my score will improve dramatically.

I studied accounting and finance from a state university and graduated with a 3.9. I work in financial management consulting.

WHAT CAN I DO TO PUT MY QUANTITATIVE ABILITIES IN THE BEST POSSIBLE LIGHT?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:40 am
Wisebrain,

Thanks for your note. I am impressed that you have a 3.9 college gpa with majors in accounting and finance. In addition, you have a solid 710 GMAT Score. Given your high college gpa, I am not worried about the 79% Quant score on the gmat. You will be competitive academically at the top schools. Now, I would focus on the other elements of your applications.

By the way, how many years of work experience do you have? What are your career goals? Feel free to contact me if you could like to schedule a free initial consultation. [email protected]

Sincerely,

Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit LLC
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Work Experience

by wisebrain » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:15 am
I currently have two years of advisory experience with a Big 4 audit firm. I would like to move into strategy consulting, specifically global growth/expansion.

I am up for promotion this year, but given the economy my chances are looking slim. I would like to apply this year, but do you think I should wait until I get promoted?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:33 am
wisebrain,

Thanks for your reply. As long as you can highlight your impact and leadership at work, you don't need to wait for a promotion. In addition, your career goals make sense given your work history. Furthermore, your strong college grades nicely complement your 710 GMAT score. Thus, I think that you will be a competitive candidate to top business schools this year based on your current profile.

Feel free to contact me if you would like to have a free initial phone consultation.

Sincerely,

Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit LLC
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.