Hi...New on Beatthegmat.com

Welcome to the Beat The GMAT community! Tell us about yourself
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:490

Hi...New on Beatthegmat.com

by Pretty P » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:40 am
Hello everyone,

I have been on a constant struggle with GMAT. I am unable to understand if I am not a standardized test taker or luck isnt with me. I have done my Bachelors in Accounting from Australia (graduated in 2005). Here is a little about how gmat played a role in my life.

In 2004, knowing that at some point I had to take the gmat and I had sometime with me, I decided to take the gmat. I had hardly looked at the material for a week and not done any practice exams. First attempt 310. I guess I should have expected that with no practice whatsoever.

My second attempt was in 2006, I took classes from Bangalore for a month and then gave my exam once again. Scored a 490. Ofcourse I wasnt happy, but again this time on my practice exams I was getting in the 500-600 scores. So I am not sure if it was time management, or nervousness or once again not too well prepared.

I went off to USA to do a 4th year so that I could apply for Masters in the US. After graduating in 2007 and working for a few months, my boss decides not to apply for the H1 work visa for me, so I once again start to look at going back to school. I took Kaplan classes this time. And again, after 1.5 months I took the gmat exam for the 3rd time in April 2008.I had taken practice exams and was scoring from 500-600s once again. My bad luck I get a 460 this time.

Well I still went ahead applied for Masters in Accounting programs since I have a GPA of 3.8 from the 4th year that I did in the US and great recommendations as well.

The schools considered my higher score of 490, and well most of the Universities declined me for my low gmat and especially low verbal score. Even though I am extremely well versed in English, have travelled from Australia to the US and have been raised in the Middle East. I also had very good AWA scores of 5.5 on 6 on my 3rd attempt and 5 on 6 on my 2nd attempt.

So now here I am thinking of taking it for the 4th time and obviously I am very exhausted. Looking to pick out some tips from here. I plan to apply for the Spring 2009 session.

I also have varied work ex from hospitality to accounting. I am contemplating still to go ahead and look for a job in the Middle East or try and make it in the Accounting industry with a Masters degree so that I can qualify to sit for the CPA or CMA exams and give GMAT another shot once again.

The difference is, 1st gmat I was too relaxed. 2nd time I feel I should have practiced more and the 3rd time I was away from family, staying by myself and in immense depression of having lost a job in 5 months. As of now I am back home with family.

Look forward to everyones suggestions and comments

Thanks and all the best to all the newcomers to the GMAT world...;-)

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by parallel_chase » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:12 pm
I have felt the pain that you are feeling today
As disgruntled as one can feel.
Long before Said goodbye to that longing dream.
But I asked myself is it really a dream,
if it is then why must I give up so easily.

why must I give up when I havent shown the real me.
Why must I give up when I havent tried the real me.

So here I STAND once again
ready to face the GIANT once again.
I have let go of any fear inside.
Today my heart is as true to me as my mind.

I will not stop till this Giant take a bow before me,
And when it does i'll be done.
Before so long I prepare.

I am sorry about posting this poem, I wrote this poem in about 5 minutes after reading your post. I wrote this poem not only to motivate you but also myself. If you find it bad then dont worry.

My experience with GMAT if not similar then its almost like yours. My first attempt I got 480. Second attempt after exactly 2 months of hard preparation, I met an accident while on my way to the GMAT center in US. I still made it to the center on time and got a 460. I was constantly in pain during the test due to my injured knee. My doctor said these are minor tears, will take about 6 months to heal.
I couldnt continue my job in US because of H1b quota. I am back in india now.
So here I am exactly after a year ready to face this giant. This time I have joined a prep course as well and anything less than 780 is unacceptable for me on the real GMAT.

"They say it has never been done before. To them I ask has anyone ever tried doing it before"

Good Luck!!!