Help !! Small size company setback for MBA??

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Help !! Small size company setback for MBA??

by niv22 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:17 pm
Hi,

To give you a background about myself. I have finished my B.Tech in Computer Science & Engineering from a premier institute in India.

I have an aggregate of 69% in my undergraduate course.
I am presently employed in an IT Firm for the past 8 months.

I am planning to switch over to a very small sized company - named XX, which works in Media Marketing.

I was working in close association with this company for the past 1 year. Now, I want to get engaged with it full time.

Adding on to it, it has no connection with my present job which is based on my engineering expertise.

I will be involved in Marketing and Advertising profile in XX.

Will this switch over to a "small- sized" company be a setback in my admission into your university.
Pls throw some light on the same.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Mansie Dewan Consulting » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:29 pm
Hello!

I am presuming that your full time experience at this point is 8 months and want to make this shift to Media Marketing.

There is no harm in switching over if you feel you will be able to stick to your new job for atleast 2-3 years and have a very positive impact on your organisation. A big advantage of working with small sized companies is the learning involved and exposure to the different functions. Obviously, your future goals will be to stay in the Media and Advertising industry. Your stint with your new employer should give you the chance to gain leadership experiences and rich industry exposure.Plus, you will have ample time to research on potential MBA programmes which will be good fits and building your profile according to their eligibility criteria. Good Luck and God Bless!
Mansie Dewan

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Mansie Dewan Consulting » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:30 pm
Hello!

I am presuming that your full time experience at this point is 8 months and want to make this shift to Media Marketing.

There is no harm in switching over if you feel you will be able to stick to your new job for atleast 2-3 years and have a very positive impact on your organisation. A big advantage of working with small sized companies is the learning involved and exposure to the different functions. Obviously, your future goals will be to stay in the Media and Advertising industry. Your stint with your new employer should give you the chance to gain leadership experiences and rich industry exposure.Plus, you will have ample time to research on potential MBA programmes which will be good fits and building your profile according to their eligibility criteria. Good Luck and God Bless!
Mansie Dewan

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:55 pm
Hey there,

We get this question a lot - effectively, "what'll adcoms think of ____". That isn't the best way to think of things. Instead, what do YOU want? Do you want to make a shift from engineering to marketing / advertising? Is that something you're passionate about? Is that something you would like to continue in and an MBA would make sense? Then your story will come together - it's just a question of showing the adcom why you did something.

As for a small company - no, there's nothing wrong with a small company. Size is relative. Marketing and advertising is a fairly fragmented industry. There aren't a ton of large players out there and, while acquisitions are on the rise, that's bound to stay that way for some time. So if you're comparing the size of the new company to your existing company, that isn't an apples to apples comp. So keep that in mind. At the end of the day, you don't want to go TOO small but what too small is varies. Generally, smaller companies can give you a level of scope and impact a big company generally can't. It could be a great shift especially if it's a field you want to stay in and want to get your hands into as many activities as possible in a short time!

Not everyone is lucky enough to land the job they want right after they graduate. Even fewer are brave enough to course correct when they realize it. That's a story right there.

Good luck!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!