Help, Profile Evaluation for admission, Full time MBA, 2016

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:660
I took the GMAT exam a few days ago, and I scored 660. (I know, its not much but what are my chances with this score)

Quantitative : 48
Verbal: 34
IR : 8
AWA : 6

I want to go for MBA in US from B schools like Smeal-Pennslvania, Kelly, Illinois-Urbana-Champagn, Michigan State (Broad) etc, I am not targeting for the Ivy league colleges.

Citizenship and country of work : India
Under Grad CGPA : 3.8 out of 4 (standardized to american scale from WES portal, actual 7.97 out of 10)
Work exp : 5 years (by July 2016) working in a fortune 500 company, as project manager for India's largest ongoing green field project.

what are my chances of getting admission, at this GMAT score and profile ? and what are the chances of getting scholarships for the same ?

Kindly advice !!

Thanks in advance

Anand

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by MBA Ivy » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:57 pm
You're in a good GMAT range for the schools you're targeting. I also like that you're currently working for a known-name Fortune 500 company, and name recognition helps when you're moving from India to the U.S. market. A lot will, of course, depend upon the application itself and your MBA essays. You need to focus on creating a logical story or "narrative" that shows how you intend to use the degree to get from where you are now in your career, to where you want to go. Hope that helps!

{I'm a former Harvard interviewer and a Harvard grad, and currently run the MBA admissions firm MBA IVY LEAGUE out of New York}

Jillian
MBA Ivy League

www.MBAIvyLeague.com

by jhaanan » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:02 pm
Thank you Jillian,

your reply was really helpful, I was confused whether I should retake the GMAT or not, for increasing my chances of admission or scholarships, but after reading your response I think i should concentrate my efforts on writing my essays !!

Thanks again,
Anand

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:21 am
jhaanan wrote:I took the GMAT exam a few days ago, and I scored 660. (I know, its not much but what are my chances with this score)

Quantitative : 48
Verbal: 34
IR : 8
AWA : 6

I want to go for MBA in US from B schools like Smeal-Pennslvania, Kelly, Illinois-Urbana-Champagn, Michigan State (Broad) etc, I am not targeting for the Ivy league colleges.

Citizenship and country of work : India
Under Grad CGPA : 3.8 out of 4 (standardized to american scale from WES portal, actual 7.97 out of 10)
Work exp : 5 years (by July 2016) working in a fortune 500 company, as project manager for India's largest ongoing green field project.

what are my chances of getting admission, at this GMAT score and profile ? and what are the chances of getting scholarships for the same ?

Kindly advice !!

Thanks in advance

Anand
Hi Anand,

B-schools look for your GMAT and GPA both to assess your aptitude. Since you have strong GPA so don't worry this will compensate your average GMAT. You have solid work experience and that too with a fortune 500 company adds value to your profile. Shortlisted schools looks achievable with strong application so you need to focus well on your essays. You should ideally look at applying to all the target programs to increase your chances.

Please register and attend our interactive webinar on top B-school application strategy with various B-school alumni from Harvard, INSEAD,Dareden, HEC Paris, ISB, Purdue on 22nd March @ 11 am. To register visit https://goo.gl/LwFtl1
Director (ISB Alumnus)
General Education - India's premier GMAT & Application Consulting company

Get Advice: +91- 90350 50056 | Email Us: [email protected]

by jhaanan » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:27 am
Thank you Ammanish,

your reply was really helpful.

anand

by shraddhapradhan1989 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:20 am
Hi Ammanish!

I know this is not the right time to start applying. We are already in round 3 and deadlines are approaching with lightening speed. But I really want to start my mba this fall.
If you can review my profile and suggest some colleges I can apply to, It would be of great help.

10th:89
12th:86
B.Tech:79
Work exp:43 months(22months IT(Infosys Lts-System engineer),12month entrepreneurial venture(Pre School-Managing director) and 7months Administrator(in a school))
Gmat Score:640
IELTS:7
Extra curricular:
Have worked in multiple NGO's.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by MBA Ivy » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:42 am
Hi, my suggestion is that you google "MBA programs and average GMAT scores" to see where a 640 will give you a competitive chance. Another good link is: https://gmatclub.com/forum/top-100-mba-s ... 58012.html

Also, are you working in the U.S., or are you overseas? Is your company well-known (name recognition) in the U.S. in it's industry = that often helps a lot if you're looking to go to a strong U.S. school. Hope that helps!

[I'm a former Harvard admissions interviewer and a Harvard grad, and currently run the MBA admissions firm MBA IVY LEAGUE out of New York: www.MBAIvyLeague.com]

Jillian

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:03 am
shraddhapradhan1989 wrote:Hi Ammanish!

I know this is not the right time to start applying. We are already in round 3 and deadlines are approaching with lightening speed. But I really want to start my mba this fall.
If you can review my profile and suggest some colleges I can apply to, It would be of great help.

10th:89
12th:86
B.Tech:79
Work exp:43 months(22months IT(Infosys Lts-System engineer),12month entrepreneurial venture(Pre School-Managing director) and 7months Administrator(in a school))
Gmat Score:640
IELTS:7
Extra curricular:
Have worked in multiple NGO's.
Hi Shraddha,

You have decent profile and you can still apply to few B-schools in round 3. You can still apply to few b-schools like Ohio Fisher, Kelley, Owen, Smeal, Mendoza, Rochester Simon. Please PM your profile details for detailed discussion, happy to help!!

Regards
Manish
Director (ISB Alumnus)
General Education - India's premier GMAT & Application Consulting company

Get Advice: +91- 90350 50056 | Email Us: [email protected]