Help needed

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Help needed

by [email protected] » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:35 am
Correctly measuring the productivity of service workers is complex. Consider, for example, postal workers: they
are often said to be more productive if more letters are delivered per postal worker. But is this really true? What
if more letters are lost or delayed per worker at the same time that more are delivered?
The objection implied above to the productivity measure described is based on doubts about the truth of which
of the following statements?
(A) Postal workers are representative of service workers in general.
(B) The delivery of letters is the primary activity of the postal service.
(C) Productivity should be ascribed to categories of workers, not to individuals.
(D) The quality of services rendered can appropriately be ignored in computing productivity.
(E) The number of letters delivered is relevant to measuring the productivity of postal workers.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:21 am
[email protected] wrote:Correctly measuring the productivity of service workers is complex. Consider, for example, postal workers: they are often said to be more productive if more letters are delivered per postal worker. But is this really true? What if more letters are lost or delayed per worker at the same time that more are delivered?
The objection implied above to the productivity measure described is based on doubts about the truth of which

(C) Productivity should be ascribed to categories of workers, not to individuals.
(D) The quality of services rendered can appropriately be ignored in computing productivity.
(E) The number of letters delivered is relevant to measuring the productivity of postal workers.
Opposing conclusion: If MORE LETTERS are delivered, then postal workers are MORE PRODUCTIVE.
The opposition believes that the QUANTITY of work produced is sufficient to determine the level of productivity.

Doubt expressed by the passage: What if more letters are LOST than are DELIVERED?
In other words, if workers get more things wrong than they get right, should they still be considered productive?

Thus, the passage doubts the truth of D: that the QUALITY of services rendered can appropriately be ignored in computing productivity.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by [email protected] » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:57 am
The statement in option D is not very clear. Could you please elaborate the meaning of the D option. Rest are clear.

OA is D.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by Gaurav 2013-fall » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:46 pm
[email protected] wrote:The statement in option D is not very clear. Could you please elaborate the meaning of the D option. Rest are clear.

OA is D.

(D) The quality of services rendered can appropriately be ignored in computing productivity. (quality of services in this case means delivering letters without delays or losses. So, this sentence essentially is saying that quality does not matter in calculating the productivity. But, the author doubts this and raises the same doubt above. hope this helps. )
Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that! (Rocky VI)

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:29 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
[email protected] wrote:Correctly measuring the productivity of service workers is complex. Consider, for example, postal workers: they are often said to be more productive if more letters are delivered per postal worker. But is this really true? What if more letters are lost or delayed per worker at the same time that more are delivered?

Opposing conclusion: If MORE LETTERS are delivered, then postal workers are MORE PRODUCTIVE.
The opposition believes that the QUANTITY of work produced is sufficient to determine the level of productivity.

Doubt expressed by the passage: What if more letters are LOST than are DELIVERED?
In other words, if workers get more things wrong than they get right, should they still be considered productive?

Thus, the passage doubts the truth of D: that the QUALITY of services rendered can appropriately be ignored in computing productivity.

The correct answer is D.
Hi GMATGuruNY - Got this one. But would like to confirm whether my understanding is correct on why EXACTLY option B is WRONG.

(1) In B, it talks about what is primary activity of the postal service. But as for our passage, it's NOT really relevant, I think. We're more concerned about the PRODUCTIVITY MEASUREMENT than the primary activity (of service/postal workers).

(2) Moreover,I guess, option B limits the scope of the passage to POSTAL workers ONLY -- this is also wrong.

Could you please share your thoughts on my above TWO concerns ?

P.S: Btw, what sort of CR question it is ? I mean, which category -- ASSUMPTION ?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:56 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:
Hi GMATGuruNY - Got this one. But would like to confirm whether my understanding is correct on why EXACTLY option B is WRONG.

(1) In B, it talks about what is primary activity of the postal service. But as for our passage, it's NOT really relevant, I think. We're more concerned about the PRODUCTIVITY MEASUREMENT than the primary activity (of service/postal workers).
Correct.
(2) Moreover,I guess, option B limits the scope of the passage to POSTAL workers ONLY -- this is also wrong.

I wouldn't use this line of reasoning, since the passage cites the case of postal workers to evaluate a conclusion about productivity.
P.S: Btw, what sort of CR question it is ? I mean, which category -- ASSUMPTION ?
This is an assumption CR.
The correct answer is WHAT MUST BE TRUE to conclude that postal workers are more productive if more letters are delivered per postal worker.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:06 am
Hi GMATGuruNY - how frequent is this type (re to some extent INDIRECT question stem) of ASSUMPTION CR on GMAT ?

Do we have any other such instances ?

Also,option E cites an EXTREME case, I think and we should do away with such EXTREME cases, generally. Right ?

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:52 pm
Hi GMATGuruNY - could you please share your feedback on my concerns above ?

Look forward to hear from you. Much thanks in advance!

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:29 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:Hi GMATGuruNY - how frequent is this type (re to some extent INDIRECT question stem) of ASSUMPTION CR on GMAT ?

Do we have any other such instances ?
Offhand, I can't cite an assumption CR with a similarly worded question stem.
Also,option E cites an EXTREME case, I think and we should do away with such EXTREME cases, generally. Right ?
When evaluating an assumption CR, we should be skeptical of answer choices with extreme wording.
But E does not include such wording.
To deem something relevant hardly seems extreme.

E: The number of letters delivered is relevant to measuring the productivity of postal workers.
This option is incorrect because the passage does NOT doubt the relevance of the number of letters delivered.
It merely states that other factors -- such as the number of letters lost or delayed -- should also be considered when measuring productivity.
Eliminate E.

An extreme version of E would be as follows:
Nothing is more relevant to measuring the productivity of workers than the number of letters delivered.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3