Help needed in selecting the right schools/programs

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:710
Hi,

I would like to know which schools/programs would be right fit for me. Please guide me based on my career aspirations that I giving below.

I am working as a technical lead and have around 10 years of experience in developing software products and delivering services. Current i am working in a product based company. Now I plan on making a transition to product management. From what I know this field has evolved over a period of time and what initially thought of as pure marketing/brand management job, has now got a clearer definition. if you would like to check, I found this : https://www.svpg.com/assets/Files/productmanager.pdf very relevant to my career aspirations.

I need help in this transition from my current role. I suppose no company would consider me for that role unless I have experience as a product manager (which i don't have) or I have a degree. So I wish to pursue a program ( MBA/ MS+MBA/Technology Management) 1 year/ 2 year anywhere in the world which would provide me the platform.

I tried to search for such programs on web. Found very few similar queries. In one such old query the person was interested in tech management programs such as MIT LGO, Kellogg MMM etc. The expert there suggested to go only for flagship programs keeping the location in mind so that one can get placed in target companies. Now these flagship programs which are usually Full Time 2 year MBA programs are very competitive and have people with 3-4 years of experience and accordingly would be more welcoming to candidates in similar age group. For the competitive part I can still do something with a better GMAT score and good essays but am bit apprehensive about the age group part and so would like to find a program that would fit me well considering my experience and interest.

I took my GMAT last month scored 660(Q50, V28). Plan on taking it again in november and applying in R2. So in the meantime trying to work on school selection. Please suggest if you think some relevant school/program is still within reach with my current score and other more competitive relevant schools/programs which I can hopefully reach with improved scores.

Thanks
--shariq

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:04 pm
Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your background. Your best bet to achieve your short term goal of getting in to product management is an MBA program with a concentration in marketing strategy. In terms of looking at programs, we'll need to assess your academic profile. I see that you recently got a 660 on your GMAT, but what about your UG GPA / Institution? Further, what does your involvement/leadership look like?

In the meantime, if you're planning to apply in R2, I would suggest taking the GMAT again to see if you can crack 700. From there, we can find schools that fit the bill for you. Hope this helped and best of luck!
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:34 pm
So I think your GMAT is a tad low for MIT or Kellogg. Can you take the test again? Do you think you will be able to improve your score? Let's say you stick at 660, I would suggest schools like Michigan Ross and UCLA Anderson would be in your stretch category. While schools like IU Kelley, UT McCombs would all be solid targets for your profile. Good luck and keep us in the loop!