Health Services Management professionals, question for you

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello, I was wondering to get some input from anyone in the health services management profession. The MBA program I am currently leaning towards offers HSM as a concentration, I am very interested in working in a hospital setting. However, after doing some basic research into looking at HSM jobs, it appears that many require individuals to have some sort of healthcare background (nursing being the most common it seems). So to anyone in the HSM field, are there HSM jobs that don't require a healthcare background?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:29 am
Not having any kind of experience or education in healthcare systems could be a slight disadvantage. A background in the field will make things easy for you post MBA. Although, a background in it is not exactly a requirement. Having said that, you will have to work a little harder during and after the MBA to fit in this industry. Can you tell me what MBA programs you are looking at?
Last edited by interviewbay22 on Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
All the Best

www.InterviewBay.com

Application Reviews &Mock Interviews by Alumni of Your Target B-School

Check out our free e-book on How to Get into a Top Business School here https://www.interviewbay.com/school/how- ... -ebook.php

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:15 am
Hi there! While a background in health administration or nursing is certainly a plus, not having one of these backgrounds won't preclude you from consideration especially after an MBA with a HCM or HSM focus. Do you have any - even tangential - professional experience in the health care field? What type of role, specifically, are you looking for? The answers to those questions really determines if you're in the right ballpark. That said, we've had plenty of clients in the past that successfully make a significant career shift after their MBA. It really depends on if you can sell the shift.

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!