Posted:
1018 messages
Followed by:
6 members
Upvotes:
Target GMAT Score:

Haas - Why I Applied.

Post Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:49 pm
So I'm just going to talk about the big points of attraction for Haas - relative to my interests of course. I'd love to hear from others who have or will be applying and hear about their motivations.

Haas has a very strong focus on innovation - it's marketed very clearly as such. Innovation and entrepreneurship are closely interconnected and that is the main reason why I chose Haas. Although innovation is often thought of as purely product based, Haas splits innovation into three areas: product, organizational and strategic.

Teamwork and collaboration are very important for my personal style of work. Haas seemed to place a big emphasis on this and I appreciated that. Berkeley has a non-disclosure policy that encourages and fosters teamwork.

Small class size fixed at 240. Some people like a big class size, but one of the benefits of business school is the ability to network and build a nice social circle. A class size of 240 means you can and probably will meet everyone else. Although the alumni network may be smaller as a result, you can argue that the network is more close knit.

International business. Haas was one of the few schools to have a joint MBA & international studies degree. This means that I can study the business aspects of international business and at the same time study the other aspects (culture, history, language, people). I worked abroad for two years and if there's one thing I learned, it's that these "other" things greatly influence the working environment and your personal fulfillment and success.

Learn more about me

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
pras_k Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
11 messages
Upvotes:
Top Reply
Post Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:00 pm
Those are good questions - I'll view schools with that perspective. Thanks.

There is a tool on the beyond grey pinstripes site that I found quite useful. It is a coursework search. You can search through the course catalogues of several schools by keyword. It also lists elective courses. That might be helpful to others.

http://www.beyondgreypinstripes.org/search/search_coursework.cfm

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Thanked by: rajanyadav
rajanyadav Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
17 messages
Test Date:
July-August 2009
Target GMAT Score:
GMAT Score:
Top Reply
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:09 pm
mayonnai5e wrote:
So I'm just going to talk about the big points of attraction for Haas - relative to my interests of course. I'd love to hear from others who have or will be applying and hear about their motivations.

Haas has a very strong focus on innovation - it's marketed very clearly as such. Innovation and entrepreneurship are closely interconnected and that is the main reason why I chose Haas. Although innovation is often thought of as purely product based, Haas splits innovation into three areas: product, organizational and strategic.

Teamwork and collaboration are very important for my personal style of work. Haas seemed to place a big emphasis on this and I appreciated that. Berkeley has a non-disclosure policy that encourages and fosters teamwork.

Small class size fixed at 240. Some people like a big class size, but one of the benefits of business school is the ability to network and build a nice social circle. A class size of 240 means you can and probably will meet everyone else. Although the alumni network may be smaller as a result, you can argue that the network is more close knit.

International business. Haas was one of the few schools to have a joint MBA & international studies degree. This means that I can study the business aspects of international business and at the same time study the other aspects (culture, history, language, people). I worked abroad for two years and if there's one thing I learned, it's that these "other" things greatly influence the working environment and your personal fulfillment and success.
Did you get a chance to visit Has and see for yourself what it is like. i am also thinking of applying there for fall 2010.
Any tips for someone who is preparing the applications?
Does meeting current students help?

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
pras_k Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
11 messages
Upvotes:
Post Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:00 pm
Those are good questions - I'll view schools with that perspective. Thanks.

There is a tool on the beyond grey pinstripes site that I found quite useful. It is a coursework search. You can search through the course catalogues of several schools by keyword. It also lists elective courses. That might be helpful to others.

http://www.beyondgreypinstripes.org/search/search_coursework.cfm

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Thanked by: rajanyadav
rajanyadav Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
17 messages
Test Date:
July-August 2009
Target GMAT Score:
GMAT Score:
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:09 pm
mayonnai5e wrote:

Did you get a chance to visit Has and see for yourself what it is like. i am also thinking of applying there for fall 2010.
Any tips for someone who is preparing the applications?
Does meeting current students help?

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
mayonnai5e Legendary Member Default Avatar
Posted:
1018 messages
Followed by:
6 members
Upvotes:
Target GMAT Score:
Post Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:30 am
Social entrepreneurship wasn't my focus - entrepreneurship in general was so I did not look for that specifically. If I were to look into that, here's what I would do:

1) Look at the course schedule and see how many classes relate to social venture and green topics. Also, pay attention to what types of classes - are there classes dealing with marketing social ventures? Funding them? Or are the socially conscious things just thrown into one class?

2) Center research/support. What research centers are associated to the school? Entrepreneurship? International Business? Go to the centers that interest you and see if how much focus they give on social ventures. For example, going to Mexico on a study trip to consult for a large corp is very different than going to Africa to study ways to bring safe water in a sustainable way to a village.

3) Go over the website and marketing materials again. How often is social entrepreneurship mentioned?

Those are some ideas, let us know if you find other ways to do some in-depth research as it will help everyone find their perfect school.

That's the first time I've ever heard of that site - an alternative ranking system is quite an interesting idea. Thanks for bringing that site to our members' attention!

Learn more about me

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

Best Conversation Starters

1 lheiannie07 116 topics
2 LUANDATO 67 topics
3 swerve 66 topics
4 ardz24 61 topics
5 AAPL 59 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

213 posts
2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

177 posts
3 image description Jeff@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

168 posts
4 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

133 posts
5 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

126 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts