GRE or (and) GMAT..plz suggest!

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

GRE or (and) GMAT..plz suggest!

by synchrodestiny » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:16 am
I have written both tests; however, I don't know which one of my scores is stronger, and which one is better to send! Could you please give me your opinion. I am applying for top-tier programs. I got wait listed at 2 top 10 program last year. I had opted for applicant initiated on campus interview for one. I am using that option again this oct. As I don't want to miss any chance.

Background : WE 9 years | 6 months international exp | Civil Engg. Graduate | 2 Masters (1 from IIT Delhi) | 6 patents under process | industry- Design/ Innovation | cofounded 2 start ups | honorary Design Strategist with an award winning sustainable transport non profit organisation

Schools: Kellogg MMM, Tuck, UNC, Yale, UC Berkeley, Cornell Johnson 1 yr, Goizueta 1 yr, INSEAD

My GRE scores (Oct 2013):
GRE Verbal: 158, 78% GRE Quant: 168 = 95% Analytical Writing: 4.5= 88%
Conversion to GMAT -710

My GMAT scores (Sept 2014) 690 = 87%
GMAT Verbal: 33 = 67% - GRE Quant: 50= 76% - Analytical Writing: 5.0= 85%

IELTS : 8.5/9

TOEFL : 109

So I have two options:

Option A: To send the GRE only.

Option B:To send both the GMAT and the GRE scores. Will they notice a perfect 50 or dismal 33?

Should I go for option A and B? Taking GMAT again but focusing on applications now.

Many, Many thanks!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:05 am
Hello

Overall you have a very good profile. Did you submit your GRE scores last year? Which two schools invited you for interview last year? Your profile is good enough to make up for your average GMAT scores and because you have a fine quant score, GMAT alone cannot be the reason for the rejection of your application. Your GRE score is slightly better than your GMAT. You should certainly send your GRE score for your applications. Because you have a good academic background, strong in mathematics, submitting GRE scores will not hurt your chances at all.

If you are applying to any of the schools you applied last year, don't send your GMAT score as there is little point in reapplying with same GMAT score. For the schools you are applying for the first time this year, if the average GMAT is 700+ send your GRE scores and if the average GMAT is below 690 (for UNC, Cornell, Goizueta) you should send both the scores.

I would also suggest that you focus more on preparing for your interviews once you have sent out your application. Take several mock interviews before the actual one so that your performance in the interview isn't the sole reason for your rejection.

You can also check out this article to get an idea about which will help you decide better https://www.interviewbay.com/blog/gre-vs ... for-an-mba

All the best
www.interviewbay.com
Application Reviews and Mock Interviews by Alumni of your Target B-School