got 610 (Q49, V25)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

got 610 (Q49, V25)

by techavi » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:26 pm
Got 610 in actual test (q49, v23).

This was replica of the score that I had scored in my last gmat prep CAT.
In the actual test, I was able to finish almost all questions in quant but last 3 ques, so I had to rush in last. For verbal, I was not able to finish all questions, in between I guessed 1-2 questions to rush, still could not cover all questions, and in last I had to rush and guess 5-6 questions. While rushing, I was looking for SC questions and I was spending time on those as I was more confident in SC.

Quant: I am consistently scoring in the range of 45-50. This can be improved if I keep up pacing, But this is not my biggest worry.

Verbal:- I am unable to crack the barrier of V-30. In my mocks, I am always scoring in the range of twenties.
I have done all OG verbal questions and e-gmat SC course. Before that I have covered all MGMAT books. After covering GMAT verbal review I am more confident in questions, still I need to learn a tactic so that I am able to finish verbal section in time.

In verbal, my time management is scary. I am never able to finish the exam in time. Every time in the end I have to guess 6-7 questions. In the review, I have observed that I am able to narrow down to right answer choices upto two in SC and CR.

Any suggestions to improve time management are most welcome.
Thanks,

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:03 pm
Hi techavi,

You've described a problem that affects many GMAT Test Takers. Before we talk about how to fix it, I'd like to know a bit more about your studies:

1) How long have you been studying?
2) What resources have you used to study?
3) What is your score goal?
4) What schools are you planning to apply to? And when?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by techavi » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:29 am
Thanks Rich.

Answer to your questions:-
It has been 5 months. 2-3 hrs week days and 4-5 hrs on weekends.
I used OG12th, MGMAT series, gmat prep and gmat verbal review.
I am aiming at 700+
I am planning for top 25 or so in the range of 700+ GMAT score.

-Avi

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:59 pm
Hi techavi,

Since there are many different resources that you can use to prepare for the GMAT, I've always believed that if a set of resources doesn't help you to improve, then you should try some other resources.

You mentioned that your Official GMAT Score is in line with your practice CATs, so your performance is consistent (which is a good thing). If we can work to improve your performance on your CATs, then it stands to reason that your Official GMAT score will match.

When are you planning to retake the GMAT? I agree with your overall self-assessment; I think that one of your "issues" right now is that you're not "seeing" the Verbal section in the right way, thus you're making the same mistakes over and over.

Rich

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by AbiNichole » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:15 am
I used to have a timing problem on verbal. In order to change it I spent time every day doing timed problem sets. I worked my way through the entire SC Grail & RC 99 problems. I also read the CR Powerscore Bible- incredible resource on how to break down those problems.

Honestly, I didn't even spend that much time reviewing my practice sets. I just needed to get familiar with how questions are phrased, what patterns to watch out for, etc. Just practicing helped tremendously with my speed and efficiency. Now I'm scoring at the 90th percentile for verbal. I HIGHLY recommend you try doing timed prob sets daily.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:44 am
Hi AbiNichole,

That's great news about your improvement. I'm curious how your approach during practice has translated to your practice CATs (how well are you scoring)? And when are you planning to take your Official GMAT?

Rich