GMATPREP3 - Books in European libraries last longer than

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Books in European libraries last longer than books in libraries in the United States because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subjected to the extremes of temperature and humidity that damage collections in the United States.

(A) because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subjected to the extremes of temperature and humidity that
(B) because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subject of the extremes of temperature and humidity as those that
(C) because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subjected to the extremities of temperature and humidity as
(D) because the climate in Europe is fairly humid, but still libraries there are not subject of the extremes of temperature and humidity as
(E) because the climate in Europe is fairly humid, but libraries there are not subjected to the extremities of temperature and humidity such as those that

OA: A

Can THAT refer to plural : extremes of temperature and humidity THAT?
My understanding was we use THOSE for plural.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:32 am
saswata4s wrote:Books in European libraries last longer than books in libraries in the United States because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subjected to the extremes of temperature and humidity that damage collections in the United States.

(A) because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subjected to the extremes of temperature and humidity that
(B) because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subject of the extremes of temperature and humidity as those that
(C) because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subjected to the extremities of temperature and humidity as
(D) because the climate in Europe is fairly humid, but still libraries there are not subject of the extremes of temperature and humidity as
(E) because the climate in Europe is fairly humid, but libraries there are not subjected to the extremities of temperature and humidity such as those that
Mary dances every day.
Here, Mary is the SUBJECT OF the sentence.
In other words, the sentence above DISCUSSES Mary.
B and D: libraries are not...subject of the extremes
Here, the portion in red implies that the extremes do not DISCUSS libraries.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate B and D.

extremities = hands and feet.
C and E: extremities of temperature
This phrasing seems to imply that temperature has hands and feet -- a nonsensical meaning.
Eliminate C and E.

The correct answer is A.
Can THAT refer to plural : extremes of temperature and humidity THAT?
My understanding was we use THOSE for plural.
When used as a MODIFIER, that can serve to refer to SINGULAR OR PLURAL antecedent.
Correct: the BOOK THAT John wrote
Correct: the BOOKS THAT John wrote

In a comparison, we use that to refer to singular antecedent and those to refer to a plural antecedent:
THE PRICE in Country X is higher than THAT in Country Y.
PRICES in Country X are higher than THOSE in Country Y.

OA: the extremes of temperature and humidity that damage collections
Here, the that-clause in blue is a MODIFIER correctly serving to describe the extremes.
What KIND of extremes?
Extremes THAT DAMAGE COLLECTIONS.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by saswata4s » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:04 am
Thanks a lot Mitch.

One more question.
GMATGuruNY wrote: extremities = hands and feet.
This phrasing seems to imply that temperature has hands and feet -- a nonsensical meaning.
Eliminate C and E.
Can't we use extremities to mean intensity or hardship here?

With regards,
Saswata.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:19 am
saswata4s wrote:Thanks a lot Mitch.

One more question.
GMATGuruNY wrote: extremities = hands and feet.
Eliminate C and E.
Can't we use extremities to mean intensity or hardship here?

With regards,
Saswata.
Generally, extremity = the part farthest from the center.
For this reason, extremities often serves to refer to the hands and feet -- the parts of the body that are farthest from the center.
To refer to intensity, we use not extremities but EXTREMES, as in the OA:
extremes of temperature = temperatures that are very high or very low.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by saswata4s » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:30 am
Thanks Mitch. Its clear now.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:09 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
[/quote]

Dear Mitch,

In choice E above,

1- does the construction '....................because........,but' correct? or gas any flaws??

2- If word 'extremes' replaced word 'extremities',,, does the construction 'such as THOSE that.....' correct? I think those refer to 'extremities' in that case ??

Thanks for you support

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:17 am
Mo2men wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Dear Mitch,

In choice E above,

1- does the construction '....................because........,but' correct? or gas any flaws??

2- If word 'extremes' replaced word 'extremities',,, does the construction 'such as THOSE that.....' correct? I think those refer to 'extremes' in that case ??

Thanks for you support[/quote]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sahilmalhotra01 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:44 am
Hi Mitch,

I felt that option choice A is wrong because it conveys illogical meaning.

Here is my analysis:

because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there (in Europe) are not subjected to the extremes of temperature and humidity that (extremes of temperature and humidity) damage collections in the United States.

that refers to extremes of temperatures in Europe.

Now, how these extremes of temperatures (which are in Europe) can damage the collections in the United states

Kindly clarify how option choice is conveying the logical meaning.

Thanks
Sahil

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:52 am
sahilmalhotra01 wrote:Hi Mitch,

I felt that option choice A is wrong because it conveys illogical meaning.

Here is my analysis:

because, although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there (in Europe) are not subjected to the extremes of temperature and humidity that (extremes of temperature and humidity) damage collections in the United States.

that refers to extremes of temperatures in Europe.

Now, how these extremes of temperatures (which are in Europe) can damage the collections in the United states

Kindly clarify how option choice is conveying the logical meaning.

Thanks
Sahil
OA: Although the climate in Europe is fairly humid, libraries there are not subjected to the extremes of temperature and humidity that damage collections in the United States.
Here, the that-clause in blue is an ADJECTIVE serving to modify extremes.
What KIND of extremes?
Extremes THAT DAMAGE COLLECTIONS IN THE UNITED STATES.
Conveyed meaning:
Because libraries in Europe are not subjected to these extremes, books in European libraries last longer -- despite the humidity.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3