GMATPrep -Verbal 25/41 and got only 24 percentile

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
All,
I took the GMATPrep exam1 yesterday and got 25questions correct out of total of 41 .Though I answered 60% of the questions correct, still GMATPrep only gave me 24percentile for verbal.

Is it due to complexity of the questions and answers? Can somebody explain above background? I am confused.

Thanks,

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:32 pm
Hi. I am wondering what verbal section score that 25/41 hit ratio got you.

In any case, the reason for your relatively low section and percentile score even with a decent hit rate has to be the pattern of your right and wrong answers. The GMAT generates scores based not only on number of questions right, but also on the difficultly of questions gotten right and not gotten right. If you miss easy questions, your score gets driven down.

So likely, you drove your score down by missing questions in patterns that included missing easy questions, and the ones you got right were in such a pattern as to not drive your score back up. If you drove your score down missing by missing a fair number of questions in a row, and then pretty evenly mixed right answers with not right answers, you would not have ever driven your score back up even though you were getting a decent number of right answers. So I guess something along those lines is what went on when you took that practice test.

If you were to get just a few more right and change the pattern of right and wrong answers, you would score much higher than you did.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:17 pm
Marty is right - it is the difficulty level of the questions and not the number right and wrong that determines the score. For example, if you got 8 out of the first 10 questions wrong, you would have missed a number of very easy questions, and it would be hard to climb up from there into the range of high-level questions. Or, if you ran out of time and got a lot of question wrong in a row at the end of the section, your score would drop precipitously.

The GMAT is designed such that a single wrong answer on the verbal has a greater negative impact on your score than a single wrong answer on the quant. A raw score in the 40s on verbal requires more right answers than a comparable raw score on quant.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education