GMAT VS WORK

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

GMAT VS WORK

by catalinan » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:01 am
Dear Kevin,

I have a situation that I think might be common to a lot of people.

I scheduled my test for July, but since I had tons of work I had to re-schedule it. My new test date is September 22nd.

My problem right now is that July and August turned out to be the two most horrible months ever! And until today I’ve been able to take a book again.

Verbal is my stronger area but is not like I am getting the most spectacular results ever, since English is not my first language, but I am a total disaster concerning to math.

My questions are 3:

1. What would you recommend me to do? I am really thinking about re-scheduling my test for the second time, since September looks kind of better, but I think that I don’t have enough time to study in order to get a good result.
2. What can I do to improve my math? I’ve studying with an algebra book and the math summary for some books, but so far, nothing good has come from this situation.
3. How can you balance a really hard and stressful job with GMAT?

I really appreciate your help and input.

Best Regards,
Catalina.
Check Out my Gmat Blog
https://www.gmatjourney.blocked/

Community Manager

GMAT work

by Kevin » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:49 pm
You should remember that a stronger GMAT score 2nd round is more valuable than a weak GMAT score 1st round. You should always try to get your GMAT score up as high as it can be and then schedule the test - not the other way around.

Learning the math content is great but you must also learn time management skills. If you get a geometry question correct but it takes you 3 minutes to do it, that is the same as getting it wrong, because it probably means you'll run out of time and your score will plummet at the end.

If studying for the GMAT is hard, how are you going to survive an MBA program? B-school takes a lot of work!
Kevin Fitzgerald
Director of Marketing and Student Relations
Manhattan GMAT
800-576-4626

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

by catalinan » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:51 am
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your advice about the second round and a stronger GMAT.

The only thing that I kinda of disagree with you is that last comment about how hard an MBA can be vs studying for the GMAT. At this moment I have a full time job - house care - preparing applications and the test. And by the time I get into the MBA I will only have that thing going on. When I was a full time college student I graduated second in my class, but I didn´t work while I studied, that is why I asked for your advice for people who are studying and working.
Check Out my Gmat Blog

GMAT Instructor

Getting in vs Being in an MBA Program

by Kim » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:04 am
Hi Catalina,

How's it going? You've probably read that Kevin is no longer with our company, and I'm truly sorry that you didn't a response before your test. I've just gotten acqainted with Beat the GMAT, and this is my first post.

I agree with you that your life will simplify a great deal once you matriculate. There is so much pressure associated with preparation for the exam; applications are no picnic either; work, well, it probably speaks for itself; and then there's your health and life. Whew, I'm exhausted thinking about it.

I just read your blog post about the October GMAT experience, and I'd like to start a dialogue with respect to your next exam. I like your plan to focus solely on the Official Guide. Throw out ALL of your other GMAT-question materials. And think quality over quantity; biting off tiny bits to chew on really well, rather than trying to digest the massive amount of material covered in the test.

In my busy life (which, by the way, I'm back on the GMAT books myself, taking the test on Feb 9th), I devote just an hour or two a day to GMAT questions, in 10-question question sets out of the 11th Edition. I try to do this early in the morning, before I let anything else get started for the day.

I do the problems, timing myself. I do not write in the book; rather I keep a large notebook for all such exercises. I then turn to the solution pages, and do each problem again then read the solution (regardless of whether I got the problem right or wrong). I talk myself through each step - sometimes to my cat (the best level of mastery is achieved when you can teach a problem to someone else). The next day, before I start a new set of questions, I quickly review that set - with emphasis on any wrong answers.

Seem like you won't get through all the problems? Perhaps. But if you skip around in terms of problem types, you'll achieve a depth that is SO much more helpful than the superficial level of skill that you seem to have now.

Now, you have to devote some time to content learning each week as well. AND, to practice exams...

But why don't we start with your thoughts on drills -

Have a great Thanksgiving,
Kim
Kim Watkins
Senior Director, Marketing and Student Services
Manhattan GMAT

by catalinan » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:36 am
Hi Kim, Welcome to beat the gmat forum.

I haven´t looked at this forum for quite a bit. That is why it took me so long to answer to you.

First of all, thank you very much for your response, I agree with your ideas, right now I am in a point where I am focused on moving to my new home (I just bought a house) and putting everything together in my office, so I can start working on the Gmat again next year.

I Think that some advice from you on how to combine Gmat and work, tips, ideas, etc..

Thank you very much,
Catalina.
Check Out my Gmat Blog

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:54 am
Great advice, Kim.

Catalina: Nice to see you posting again. :)
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

by catalinan » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:16 pm
Hi Eric, I took a little vacation, but here I am again, back on track :wink:
Check Out my Gmat Blog

by career_switcher » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:03 am
2nd in your class and a 450 on your gmat? something's not tying together.

You're going to have to prioritize, just as you well have to on the gmat, and maybe use some vacation time for your gmat.

by catalinan » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:26 pm
Yeah I know... It was terrible for me, I was not only second in my class, but also teacher´s assistant for 5 subjects.

I think that my bad score came before I received very bad news two days before my test (the bank refused my house loan) and I also studied the test day and it really freaked me out and put my mind blank.

Right now I think that I am in a better position for this this. We were finally able to buy the apartment, I got a promotion at my office and things are going better now... I am starting to get in the gmat mood again and next year I will start my preparation seriously.
Check Out my Gmat Blog

GMAT Instructor

by Kim » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:15 pm
Well it definitely sounds like you had a lot going on - congratulations on the home purchase! I felt such a sense of accomplishment when I signed all of those documents.

So, now you've got the holidays; you should relax and enjoy yourself. But come January, I recommend that you get to it straight away.

Keep me posted!
Kim
Kim Watkins
Senior Director, Marketing and Student Services
Manhattan GMAT