GMAT Verbal Online course

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

GMAT Verbal Online course

by paeiing » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:39 am
Dear All,

I'm trying to find the best Verbal gmat online course out there.
I have exhausted all e-gmat course and my score has not improve at all.
I am non-native speaker, it is hard for me to approach all the question as e-gmat suggested.
Mostly e-gmat approaches are to get the meaning for SC, pre-thinking in CR and RC
however, it is quite hard to follow especially on CR, if I cannot understand the content then it's even harder to pre-think.

I have tried free video on CR lesson by Empowergmat as well, the CR box is probably the same idea, it is to pre-think.
I could not get the same pre-think as Max does. Thus, I cannot get the right answer.

Does any course out there provide tactic to approach each type of CR and RC questions?

Thank you very much

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:56 am
paeiing wrote:Dear All,

I am non-native speaker, it is hard for me to approach all the question as e-gmat suggested.
Mostly e-gmat approaches are to get the meaning for SC, pre-thinking in CR and RC
however, it is quite hard to follow especially on CR, if I cannot understand the content then it's even harder to pre-think.

I have tried free video on CR lesson by Empowergmat as well, the CR box is probably the same idea, it is to pre-think.
I could not get the same pre-think as Max does. Thus, I cannot get the right answer.

Does any course out there provide tactic to approach each type of CR and RC questions?

Thank you very much
Every company will provide strategies for these question types. If you're interested, you can find ours in the lessons from our app: https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat-iphone-apps/

But the truth is, there's no getting around having to deal with the meaning of what you read. If this is an area of struggle for you, the best thing you can do is to consistently read challenging material for a few weeks: novels, The Wall Street Journal, etc. When we read intensively, our brains change quickly: https://www.theatlantic.com/education/ar ... in/282952/
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:00 am
Hi paeiing,

From your post, it's unclear how long you've been studying and how much actual work you've put in.

1) How long have you been studying for the Verbal section?
2) How much time did you spend working with the various materials you named (for example, you say that you 'exhausted' all of the egmat materials and you tried a free EMPOWERgmat video lesson, but the time you spent doing each is unclear)?

3) What is your overall goal score?
4) How have you scored on each of your practice CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by fjcm » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:08 am
I have been working with e-gmat and I find it very easy to use and with great approach to the sevarl topics covered in the GMAT, I hope to achieve my goal, but for sure e-gmat is helping me to go through.

The amount of time depends on your background and of course ability to learn a nea language, in my case I have been dedicating about 3 hours per day to study Verbal, for about 3 months.

Best regards,

by paeiing » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:17 am
[email protected] wrote:Hi paeiing,

From your post, it's unclear how long you've been studying and how much actual work you've put in.

2) How much time did you spend working with the various materials you named (for example, you say that you 'exhausted' all of the egmat materials and you tried a free EMPOWERgmat video lesson, but the time you spent doing each is unclear)?

4) How have you scored on each of your practice CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Rich
Dear Rich,
Thank you for your response.
To answer your question,

I've been studying for 3 months- more than 5 hours per day.

I've paid for full e-gmat course for 6 months. I find that the tactic doesn't work for me. Especially, in CR and RC.
I mostly re-read the stimulus or the passage more than once, still get wrong answer.
I have finished all OG questions more than 3 times.

I have just tried free Empowergmat CR lesson. I found that CR box is quite hard for me to approach. I am not sure whether I get the content.
On the free lesson video, Max mentioned 1) write conclusion 2) write pre-think assumption
However, I could not get the right assumption

I want to get 700 +

I received 540 on latest GMAT exam
I have tried verista prep and also got only 590

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members

by [email protected] » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:11 am
Hi paeiing,

If you've taken just 2 CATs over 3 months of study, then that is not nearly enough. Taking FULL-LENGTH CATs (with the Essay and IR sections) is an essential part of the training process - you should plan to take a CAT every 1-2 weeks as a way to measure your progress.

The two CAT scores that you have are fairly close to one another, so your current ability 'level' is likely in the mid-500s to high-500s. To hit you goal score, you're likely going to have to make some big improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. If you continue to approach questions "your way", then you will likely continue to score in the 500s. This means that you're going to have to learn "new" ways to approach GMAT questions - you're also going to have to practice properly (and you might even struggle at times). The GMAT is a predictable, standardized Test, so you CAN train to score at a high level; however, if you try a Tactic for a short period of time, then 'give up', then you're going to find it difficult to accomplish all of your goals.

1) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by paeiing » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:28 pm
[email protected] wrote:Hi paeiing,

If you've taken just 2 CATs over 3 months of study, then that is not nearly enough. Taking FULL-LENGTH CATs (with the Essay and IR sections) is an essential part of the training process - you should plan to take a CAT every 1-2 weeks as a way to measure your progress.

The two CAT scores that you have are fairly close to one another, so your current ability 'level' is likely in the mid-500s to high-500s. To hit you goal score, you're likely going to have to make some big improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. If you continue to approach questions "your way", then you will likely continue to score in the 500s. This means that you're going to have to learn "new" ways to approach GMAT questions - you're also going to have to practice properly (and you might even struggle at times). The GMAT is a predictable, standardized Test, so you CAN train to score at a high level; however, if you try a Tactic for a short period of time, then 'give up', then you're going to find it difficult to accomplish all of your goals.

Rich
Hi Rich,

Im promise myself not to give up on GMAT
that's why im now trying to find the course that's best fit fot me.

I am planing to take GMAT in two-month
I am planing to apply to mba program in september

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members

by MartyMurray » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:21 pm
Hi paeiing.

To score high on GMAT verbal, you don't necessarily have to prethink, or to outline RC passages, or to know every grammar rule, but you do need to do one thing.

You need to understand what is being said in the sentences, arguments and passages.

So whatever you do going forward as you prepare, keep that one key thing in mind.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

by paeiing » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:32 am
Marty Murray wrote:Hi paeiing.

To score high on GMAT verbal, you don't necessarily have to prethink, or to outline RC passages, or to know every grammar rule, but you do need to do one thing.

You need to understand what is being said in the sentences, arguments and passages.

So whatever you do going forward as you prepare, keep that one key thing in mind.
Hello Marty,
Thank you for your post.
Do you have any suggestion on how could I improve my verbal?

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members

by MartyMurray » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:45 am
paeiing wrote:Hello Marty,
Thank you for your post.
Do you have any suggestion on how could I improve my verbal?
One thing that tends to help is doing verbal questions very slowly and carefully at first. You are better off spending fifteen minutes per question, and learning to get right answers, than you are spending a few minutes per question, getting many wrong, and not really developing the skills necessary for getting right answers.

Further, when you do verbal questions, while strategies can be useful, rather than focus on strategies, focus on seeing exactly what is going on in the questions and answer choices, seeking to understand why every wrong answer is wrong and every right answer is right. To a well written official question, and most of the official questions are well written, there is one clearly right answer, and there are clear reasons why that answer is the only right answer.

I am not talking about reading explanation after explanation either. Reading explanations will only get you so far. You need to learn to see for yourself the logic of the questions and answer choices.

To get more SC questions right, probably you need to get better at noticing the meanings conveyed by the sentences created by using the various choices.

To get more CR questions right, probably you need to get better at really understanding exactly what's going on in the arguments.

To get more RC questions right, probably you need to get better at noticing the difference between what you might think or get fooled into thinking is said in the passages and what is actually said in the passages.

To get some more ideas on how to get better at handling GMAT verbal you could follow the following links to some other posts.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/how-to-bette ... tml#763603

https://www.beatthegmat.com/how-do-i-mas ... tml#762120

https://infinitemindprep.com/on-the-gmat ... ogic-rule/
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Location: Decade + of MBA & EMBA applicants admits to top 10 schools throughout the US and Europe.
Followed by:6 members

by MBAPrepCoach » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:57 am
Hello Paeiing,
I have worked mostly with ESL applicants over the past 16 years, and know that you can succeed with this section no matter what. I am vehemently opposed to focusing on understanding the meaning of choice A for SC. This is not necessary. Not really clear on what pre-thinking means here, however on CR, I think its important to know what you're being asked to do and paraphrase the question. That's all the pre-thinking my students do. Do contact me via my website, if you would like to discuss my course.
:) Farrell
paeiing wrote:Dear All,

Thank you very much
Getting MBA & EMBA applicants admits to top 10 schools throughout the US and Europe. 80% admitted to top 5; 99% top 10. Curious about partnering ? Book a consult at https://calendly.com/mbaprepcoach