GMAT v/s GRE question

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT v/s GRE question

by GMAT_cracker_14 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:24 am
Hi Consultants,

I was reading an article by Stacey Koprince on BEATtheGMAT.com on "Should I Take the GMAT or the GRE?".

Unfortunately I am stuck in a very strange situation - I have good scores from both tests and am unable to decide which one to use for MBA applications. I'm looking for guidance on this topic.

To give more context, below are my scores in each test
GRE - 339/340 in Sep 2011
GMAT - 770/800 in July 2014

I am really confused and would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks!
Samridh

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:12 pm
Since the GMAT has been more widely used in MBA admissions, your score is crazy good, and the GMAT is only useful for the MBA, I would go with your GMAT. cheers, Alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

by GyanOne » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:55 am
In our opinion, the GMAT is better than the GRE for MBA admissions. Here is why:

1. The GMAT still remains the de-facto standard for MBA admissions: While the number of GRE-takers intending to use their scores to apply for MBA programs rose 38% last year according to ETS, the same article also mentions that most schools see 10%-30% of their applicants apply with a GRE score. This means 70%-90% (and the average is likely to be closer to 90% than to 70% for top programs) of MBA applicants still apply using GMAT scores, rather than GRE scores.

2. No clear answer yet on how schools use GRE scores: As so few applicants come in with GRE scores, it is difficult to find competitive ranges or class profile averages for GRE scores at top MBA programs. Look up the class profile of most programs and you will find prominently displayed the average GMAT score (often the 20-80% ranges for the GMAT as well), but not one program lists the average GRE scores or GRE score ranges. For sure, MBA programs would have tools to be able to rate GRE performance and compare it to that on the GMAT, but why risk a comparison that could go either way for you, especially with no data as a guidance on what a great GRE score would be?

3. Post-MBA scenario: Ok, this is not relevant for MBA Admissions, but still important when if you are keen on IB or consulting. Some recruiters, especially investment banks and strategy consulting firms, like to look at GMAT scores when shortlisting candidates. They will accept GRE scores as well in most cases, but again the lack of data (especially when comparing you to your peers, most of whom will report GMAT scores) can make a clear comparison an issue.

This explanation was first published on the GyanOne Blog