Gmat study with little progress on practice tests

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

Its now almost a year after I started my preparation, some months I did not get chance to concentrate on studies because of work, but I feel I am still at the same level as when started

1. completed manhattan live class course as of September 2016
studied all the books but have not completed all the home works
2. Restarted my preparation again in July 2017 after getting an extension from manhattan
3. Got CR bible and studied 75%
4. Non-native, so enrolled in egmat sentence correction online
5. Got access to 3 months empower gmat

I have done mock test last couple of weeks ( 1 Gmat Prep and 1 MGMAT) 510 and 540 respectively. The scores around 36-39 for math 25-28 for verbal. When I review quant section, I could have got easily few more correct but I guess time pressure is causing the issues. I planned test date of early september but considering to move to December as its difficult to get the target score 650-700. I am also thinking of private tutoring hoping that might help me but seems to be super expensive. I am leaning towards Manhattan Prep as I can follow the same materials already I have. If you guys can recommend some private tutors, please message me. Is going for 4-6 private tutoring for Manhattan Prep worth ? thats almost $1350

Thanks
Jo

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:21 members

by Bara » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:56 am
Hi Jo,

There are benefits to all the ways of studying - - and knowing youself the best, it's good to consider what the ROI is, for you specifically, for each type.

There is more accountability with a private tutor, as well as higher touch points and adaptation to your needs sets. On the other hand, the tried-and-true structure of a course works for most people, but their one-size-fits-all model, as well as tutors who are taught this system, make it harder to to accomodate your a student's specific needs, such as anxiety or not being a native speaker.

In comparison, working one-on-one as our company does, primarily, means we (and other one-one-one tutoring companies, I'm sure), can pair you with tutors who are not only GMAT experts, but can meet YOUR specific needs, For example, our head verbal tutor works with many of our non-native English speaking clients because she holds a PhD in cognitive linguistics, which means she's able to understand HOW your brain comprehends language, and can therefore specifically adapt the material to YOUR specific needs....calculating what isn't working and what IS. Likewise, time pressure is something that haunts MANY students...and this can be remedied by more and more practice and familiarty with the material, but also, inceasing your reading speed. We are, for example, the only test prep company offering a 3-hour online speed reading support for students. We see consistent imprvoements: up to 5x reading speed (without compromised comprehension at up to about 3x, typcially) and an average score improvment on reading at 13%.

Some students go to individualized tutoring after the courses, and this allows for fine tuning. Our students consistently improve 100 - 150 points, and more, after their scores plateau with other study program.

So consider the ROI as you embark on this. How important is the score and the school you're looking into...that should help make your decision as to what to invest financially. For some top scores not attained with big box companies make private tutoring choices a no-brainer.

Feel free to reach out to talk about specifics...and chat with others here. Top companies are represented on BTG so you're in great hands whatever you choose!

Best,

Bara Sapir
Bara Sapir, MA, CHt, CNLP
Founder/CEO City Test Prep
Maximize your Score, Minimize your Stress!
GMAT Badass and Test Anxiety Relief Expert
SPEEDREADING: https://citytestprep.com/mindflow-workshops/
ANXIETY RELIEF: https://citytestprep.com/mindfulness-therapy/
BOOK: https://tinyurl.com/TPNYSC
TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McA4aqCNS-c

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:00 pm
Hi Jo,

I'm hoping that you can clarify a few details about your current studies. Based on what you have described - in the month of July (meaning - the last 3.5 weeks), you have started using 3 DIFFERENT Courses AND a separate book. Is that true? How long have you used each of those products? Whose Study Plan are you currently following?

If you're 'jumping' around among GMAT subjects and Courses, then that might help to explain why your two practice CAT Scores are so similar - you haven't 'focused' on one particular approach to your studies, so your progress might be limited. Adding tutoring to the mix now would likely only complicate things - as the Tutor would perhaps teach you different concepts and assign work from other resources.

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by learningtreeman » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:53 pm
Thanks Bara and Rich for the reply. My plans are for part time MBA in the Chicago area (UChicago/Depaul), hoping to start before fall 2018. My goal was to finish the test by September, have decided to postpone till December. I currently work in the IT industry for a major financial firm with around 18 years of experience, I can see not many years left for me to get the GMAT done and start with MBA.

Most of my studies until June was based on Manhattan course videos and books, but I have not really done any home works suggested by their course content. My bad.

Here is my current study format.

1. follow 3 month study plan from empower
2. sentence correction , Manhattan SC and egmat
3. for CR - Power Score Bible
4. I plan to spend time with one more quick review of Manhattan guides geometry, word problems.

And anytime available after this for OG , OG Quantitative and Verbal problems. I would like to cover all the OG problems, but I was under the impression , I should keep trying with practice tests as well.. My guess, its might be better to finish up the OG guides before attempting any more new practice tests or study material.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:04 pm
Hi Jo,

I've sent you a PM with some notes/suggestions about your Study Plan.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:22 am
learningtreeman wrote:Hi,

Its now almost a year after I started my preparation, some months I did not get chance to concentrate on studies because of work, but I feel I am still at the same level as when started

1. completed manhattan live class course as of September 2016
studied all the books but have not completed all the home works
2. Restarted my preparation again in July 2017 after getting an extension from manhattan
3. Got CR bible and studied 75%
4. Non-native, so enrolled in egmat sentence correction online
5. Got access to 3 months empower gmat

I have done mock test last couple of weeks ( 1 Gmat Prep and 1 MGMAT) 510 and 540 respectively. The scores around 36-39 for math 25-28 for verbal. When I review quant section, I could have got easily few more correct but I guess time pressure is causing the issues. I planned test date of early september but considering to move to December as its difficult to get the target score 650-700. I am also thinking of private tutoring hoping that might help me but seems to be super expensive. I am leaning towards Manhattan Prep as I can follow the same materials already I have. If you guys can recommend some private tutors, please message me. Is going for 4-6 private tutoring for Manhattan Prep worth ? thats almost $1350

Thanks
Jo
Depending on what timeframe you settle on, you could always begin self-studying, take a few more practice exams, and then reevaluate based on the kind of progress you're making. If you find that you're understanding most of what you miss, are able to make reasonable adjustments in response, and continue to make progress, that's typically a good indication that self-study will prove adequate. If you find that you're spinning your wheels, not understanding why you're missing certain questions, or feeling unsure as to how you'd attack a similar question once you're reviewed an explanation, that's a hint that tutoring could prove beneficial.

I
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course