GMAT Study Plan for 600+

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT Study Plan for 600+

by ph0enix089 » Sat May 02, 2015 4:36 am
Hey guys,

I did the GMAT two weeks ago and I only reached a score of 470 (Quant: 40, Verbal: 16). However, I have to score over 600 in order to apply for the master program that I'd like to do. I'll do the GMAT again in 3,5 weeks and, thus, I'm looking for the best preparation strategy.

For the former GMAT exam I solely studied with KAPLAN 2015. Now, I bought all the Manhattan books and the Official Guide. Furthermore, I did a GMAT prep test this morning and I scored 460 (Quant: 38, Verbal: 16).

It is thus obvious that my greatest weakness is the verbal section, especially RC and CR. I sometimes don't understand neither the texts nor the question properly and thus have to guess.

What do you guys recommend? Do you think it will be possible to score over 600? I have free time the entire month.

Thanks a lot for any advice.

Best regards!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat May 02, 2015 12:12 pm
Hi ph0enix089,

Raising your score 130+ points in 3.5 weeks will be difficult to accomplish. A V16 means that you're making too many mistakes in all 3 Verbal categories (SC, RC and CR). While you can certainly learn how to improve in that section, it's likely going to take more time than you've given yourself.

1) How long did you study for this first attempt at the GMAT?
2) Do you have the flexibility to push back your Test Date?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by ph0enix089 » Sun May 03, 2015 6:26 am
Hey,

thank you very much for your response.

1) I studied around 3 up to 4 weeks, two very intense weeks right before the exam. However, I couldn't study the last five days days before the GMAT.
2) Unfortunately, I don't have any time left. It's the latest possible date.
3) I have to hand in my GMAT at June 15th at latest.

With kind regards!

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Sun May 03, 2015 6:42 am
I agree with Rich that this kind of improvement in such a short period of time will be challenging. But it is doable.

Two recommendations in addition to the GMAT resources you'll be working through:

First, read voraciously for the next few weeks. There's evidence that reading more can produce beneficial changes in our brains quite rapidly: https://www.theatlantic.com/education/ar ... in/282952/

Second, practice mindfulness meditation. You've noticed that a good portion of the GMAT battle is psychological - patterns that you recognize when you're comfortable can prove more elusive when the pressure is amplified. There's plenty of good research about how a mindfulness practice can boost test scores in as little as two weeks: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi ... on/275564/

Happy to pass along my favorite guided meditations if you're interested.

(There are also the ancillary benefits of a consistent meditation practice: small things like being healthier. happier and living longer...)
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by ph0enix089 » Sun May 03, 2015 9:53 am
Thanks a lot for these advices. I'll definitely take them into consideration.

What else would you recommend?

Shall I start with reviewing the GMAT Verbal sections? What kind of study plan would you additionally recommend?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by niddy » Mon May 04, 2015 4:50 am
ph0enix089 wrote:Thanks a lot for these advices. I'll definitely take them into consideration.

What else would you recommend?

Shall I start with reviewing the GMAT Verbal sections? What kind of study plan would you additionally recommend?
ph0enix089,

from my experience as a test taker, I would recommend you to understand the types of questions on the verbal section: what does GMAT means by an assumption? And by inference?
It sounds to me that so many mistakes on the verbal section can only be two things: a person is having a hard time with english language or just does not understand GMAT Verbal instructions. And by your comunication here, seems like your english is great.
Try to read the basic verbal instructions on the Official Guide and get all the free material on the EmpowerGMAT website: empowergmat.com (get the PDFs!)

On short passages, it is better to read what the question is asking FIRST, then read the passage, so you won't get confused by information you do not need.

niddy

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Mon May 04, 2015 10:56 am
Hi ph)enix089,

Most Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) on their studies to hit their "peak" scores. With the extra information that you've provided, it seems likely that you just have not put in enough time and effort yet.

That all having been said, since it sounds like you're 'stuck' with this particular set of deadlines, I strongly suggest that you push your GMAT back to the last possible date and use that extra time to study. Since you're looking to emphasize your Verbal work, then I suggest using the EMPOWERgmat Verbal Score Booster Study Plan. Most of our clients can finish that plan in under a month, so it should fit with your given timeline. You have a lot of work to do in a very short span, so maximizing this time is essential.

Rich

by ph0enix089 » Mon May 25, 2015 6:22 am
Hey again!

I've been studying a lot since my last post, especially to improve my Verbal skills. This morning, I took the Manhattan free GMAT exam and scored 530 (Q: 37, V: 26). I did well in SC and I answered half of the RC questions correctly. However, I was bad in CR. One reason might be that I got time problems and, thus, had to 'guess' some answers.

What do you recommend now? I'll write the official GMAT exam on Friday.

Is it actually true that the Manhattan tests are more difficult than the real GMAT exam? Where do I find free GMAT exams in order to practice or shall I buy further Manhattan exams?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon May 25, 2015 6:32 am
Several of the test-prep companies on this site offer a free practice test.

If you want the "real thing," (official), you can buy the GMATPrep Exam Pack 1 https://www.mba.com/global/store/store-c ... ack-1.aspx

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by ph0enix089 » Mon May 25, 2015 6:57 am
I did the two GMAT Prep tests almost two months ago. I don't know whether it is useful to repeat them again or to find other tests?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon May 25, 2015 7:01 am
Rich and I differ on this matter.

The GMAT is the best source of questions AND these practice tests use the official scoring algorithm. So, while there's the downside of some repeated questions, there's also the bonus of taking the most realistic practice test.

Remember that the GMAT is computer adaptive and questions are drawn from a large pool of questions. So, while you will see duplicate questions (about 6 or 7 per section), the majority of questions will be new to you. When/if you see a duplicate question, you can minimize score inflation by waiting 2 minutes before you enter your response (otherwise, you'll gain undeserved time that you wouldn't normally have had.)

If anyone is interested, I wrote an article for BTG on this topic: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2010/03/ ... iple-times

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Mon May 25, 2015 9:09 am
Hi ph0enix89,

You've made a rather nice improvement to your Verbal Score in 3 weeks. Since your Official GMAT is in 4 days, you shouldn't be focused on taking too many CATs in that time. 'Cramming' doesn't really work when prepping for the GMAT, so the focus in these last few days should be getting in some additional practice and in the 'big point' areas and on minimizing the number of little mistakes that you make.

On this last CAT, how many questions COULD you have gotten correct, but didn't because of a silly/little mistake? THOSE points are the ones that you need to get back to push your score up (and potentially hit your goals) - in theory, they're also the easiest points for you to get back.

Rich