GMAT Strategy: Scheduling 2 exams back to back?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi! I have struggled with the GMAT for awhile now. The first 2 times I did not study, so my scores of 420 and 460 were no surprise. I studied hard for the 3rd one (although I am in school so this was probably not wise, studying for 3 hard classes on top of the GMAT), even enrolled in MGMAT 8 week course, and was scoring in the low 600s on the MGMAT practice tests. Took the 3rd GMAT and somehow got a 440. Anyway, I am giving it one more go around this summer. I will be doing nothing except working and studying for the GMAT. Anyway, I have heard from one of the MGMAT professors that for someone with extreme test anxiety (ME! lol), sometimes enrolling in 2 GMAT tests a month apart may help since it doesn't feel like everything is riding on that one test; i've heard it will take some of the pressure off. Has anyone had any success with this? I was just wanting some input before I drop another $250 on a test. Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:08 pm
Hi Kristinaw14,

Academically, while there is nothing inherently 'wrong' with the idea of scheduling 2 GMAT appointments, I think there could be some problems with the overall diagnosis (that anxiety is the big problem) and I don't think that having an Official 2nd Test Date will necessarily change anything for you (since you already know that you can schedule another Test as needed, WHY would you have to go through the trouble - and expense - of doing it now?).

There are so many aspects to your situation that you have not defined that I have a lot of questions about the work that you've done so far. If you can answer these questions (and likely a few more later on), then I'll be happy to advise:

1) Why did you take those two initial GMATs with so little prep?
2) Did you not study at ALL of did you do a little studying before taking those GMATs? Did you take any practice CATs?
3) Other than the MGMAT Course, what other resources have you used during your studies?
4) What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores & the Essay/IR scores on each of your Official GMATs?

5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

The GMAT is a predictable, standardized Test, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Kristinaw14 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:30 pm
Hi! Thanks for your reply.

1) I took the first without studying because I didn't think it would be as challenging. The 2nd one I went through the MGMAT Quant books, and took one MGMAT CAT 3 weeks before real test and scored a 530 (35Q, 29V). I stopped studying as much because the masters program I am applying to requires a 550 or higher (I didn't think it would be harder to score an extra 20 points).

2) First one, not one drop of studying 420. Second one, went through MGMAT quant once 460 (26Q 26V)--> I had just moved from CA to NE 2 weeks before I took this one, probably not smart. Third one, I went through MGMAT Prep course and this was only material I used (MGMAT) Took a CAT 3 weeks before real test and got a 580 (35Q 34V). Took GMATPrep test one week before real test and plummeted to a 450 (26Q 26V). 3rd Real GMAT was 440 (26Q 26V)

3) MGMAT Prep course/books is the main material I used. The last 2 weeks of studying I used OG guide.

4) GMAT 3 (Taken October 2014) 4 IR, 3.5 Essay, 440 score (26Q 26V). The other 2 were taken a couple years ago. I should say, I ran out of time on the Quant (I usually always don't answer the last 2-3 Quant questions)

5) The MACc Program I am applying to is a rolling deadline, so I will be applying after GMAT I am taking July 8th

What studying/materials strategies would you suggest?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:57 pm
Hi Kristinaw14,

With this next Test Date, you have about 2.5 months to study, which is good. You also have the added benefit of knowing EXACTLY what Test Day entails, so you can make your practice CATs realistically 'line up' with Test Day in all the ways that matter.

With your score goals and current scores, I think that you would benefit greatly from the EMPOWERgmat Score Booster Study Plan. Most clients can finish that program in 4-6 weeks, so even if you take a little longer than that, you can comfortably fit that Study Plan into your schedule. You can check out the Course for free at www.empowergmat.com

I do want to point out a minor issue with your last Official score. Most Business Schools/Programs expect applicants to score at least a 4.0 on the Essay section. That's a fairly straight-forward task, but since you scored a 3.5, you likely went "off topic" and/or broke some significant 'style rules' with your essay. With some small tweaks, you can fix that issue rather quickly (and we'll show you an easy-to-follow 'template' to write killer GMAT essays).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]