GMAT Set 1 Q40

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

GMAT Set 1 Q40

by Abhijit K » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:19 pm
Until now, only injectable vaccines against influenza have been available. Parents are reluctant to subject children to the pain of injections, but adults, who are at risk of seirous complications of influenza, are commonly vaccinated. A new influenza vaccine, administered painlessly in a nasal spary, is effect for children. However, since children seldom develop serious complications from influenza, no significant public health benefit would result from widespread vaccination of children using the nasal spray.
Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. Any person who has received the injectable vaccine can safely receive the nasal spray vaccine as well.
B. The new vaccine uses the same mechanism to ward off influenza as injectable vaccines do.
C. The injectable vaccine is affordable for all adults.
D. Adults do not contract influenza primarily from children who have influenza.
E. The nasal spray vaccine is most effective when administered to adults.

OA:D Why is E incorrect?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:42 am
Abhijit K wrote:Until now, only injectable vaccines against influenza have been available. Parents are reluctant to subject children to the pain of injections, but adults, who are at risk of serious complications from influenza, are commonly vaccinated. A new influenza vaccine, administered painlessly in a nasal spray, is effective for children. However, since children seldom develop serious complications from influenza, no significant public health benefit would result from widespread vaccination of children using the nasal spray.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. Any person who has received the injectable vaccine can safely receive the nasal spray vaccine as well.
B. The new vaccine uses the same mechanism to ward off influenza as injectable vaccines do.
C. The injectable vaccine is affordable for all adults.
D. Adults do not contract influenza primarily from children who have influenza.
E. The nasal spray vaccine is most effective when administered to adults.

Why is E incorrect?
Conclusion: No significant public health benefit would result from widespread vaccination of children.

The assumption is WHAT MUST BE TRUE for the conclusion to be valid.
Apply the NEGATION TEST.
When the correct answer choice is negated, the conclusion will be invalidated.

Answer choice D, negated:
Adults contract influenza primarily from children who have influenza.
The negation of D suggests that vaccinating children will help adults avoid getting influenza, invalidating the conclusion that no significant public health benefit would result from widespread vaccination of children.
Since the negation of D invalidates the conclusion, D is the correct assumption: WHAT MUST BE TRUE for the conclusion to be valid.

The correct answer is D.

Answer choice E, negated:
The nasal spray vaccine is most effective when administered to children.
The passage states as a PREMISE that the spray is EFFECTIVE FOR CHILDREN.
The negation of E merely reaffirms this premise.
The correct assumption must affect the CONCLUSION.
Any answer choice that affects a premise is incorrect.
Eliminate E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by jak5189 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:17 am
Premise Conclusion
since children seldom develop serious >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> No significant health benefit would result from
complications for the flu >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the nasal spray's widespread use in children.

Now test answer E and D. What bridges the gap between the premise and conclusion?