gmat score

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

gmat score

by souma730 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:16 am
Hi guys,

I ve just taken the gmat.. and i was disappointed with a 540 score..i am a bit lost since i was aiming 730..
I have 2 questions:
- Is it bad to report a bad score to the schools one is interested in?
- What can i do to improve my score..? I thought i worked hard.. but obviously i was doing it wrong

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:55 am
Hi souma730,

Before I can offer any advice on how to improve your score, I'd like to know a bit more about how you've been studying:

1) How long have you been studying for the GMAT?
2) What materials did you use?
3) What were your practice CAT scores (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
4) Did you have any pacing problems on this GMAT? Did you have to rush through questions just to finish any of the sections? If so, then how many questions?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

If you're planning to apply to any competitive programs, then retaking the GMAT is a must. Having this current score in your file won't matter as long as you earn a higher score in your next attempt.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:15 pm
souma730 wrote:Hi guys,

I ve just taken the gmat.. and i was disappointed with a 540 score..i am a bit lost since i was aiming 730..
I have 2 questions:
- Is it bad to report a bad score to the schools one is interested in?
- What can i do to improve my score..? I thought i worked hard.. but obviously i was doing it wrong
Hi,
If you are confident about yourself and believe you can get a higher gmat score, we would certainly advice you to retake the exam. It is not really a good strategy to send your low scores to the schools you are interested in.

Before, we suggest you a few ways by which you can take your score up, could you please tell us if you think you are comfortable with all the basics. Or if there is any section where you feel you need to get back to the text books and revise your basics.

Overall, we would suggest you to retake a mock test under the supervision of an expert or a mentor. After the mock test, sit with the expert and understand your strong and weak points better. Create a smart study plan for yourself which not only helps you cover the basics but also leaves you with ample time to take as many mock tests as possible. Now, do remember that the trick is not how many mock tests you take, but it is all about how much time you spend in analyzing your performance in the same. Typically, if you spend 2 hours in taking a mock test, take at least 4 to 5 hours in analyzing the same. Go over each and every questions and figure out a smarter, better and a faster way to solve the same. Take a note of all these points and make sure you apply these in the next mock test. Keep doing this consistently and we are hopeful you will see an improvement in your score.

Hope the above information helps. Do share more information that Rich has asked and also more about your overall profile. Let us know if you have more questions about your gmat preparation and we would be happy to advice.

Wish you the best.

www.manyagroup.com

by souma730 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:53 am
hi,

@ Rich
1) I've been studying for 2 monthes ;
2) I used GmatPrep , Manhattan practice test , Kaplan , Princeton review and i took a prepatory class here in morocco;
3)My scores were e:
- Veritas : 600 ( Quant 40, Verbal 33);
- Kaplan practice test : 600 ( I cant access the details of my score)
- GMAT prep, Exam 1:510 ( Quant : 39; Verbal : 21, IR : 3);
- GMAT prep, Exam 2:460 ( Quant : 35; Verbal : 19, IR : 7);
- Manhattan practice test : 610 (Quant : 41; Verbal 33 );
- GMAT pill : 450 ( Quant : 30 ,verbal : 20 , IR : 2);
4 ) Yes , i had a pacing problem, even hough i practiced to avoid it , i eventually had the day of the test and i had to guess 7 questions in the quantitative section , 4 in the verbal section and 2 in the integrated reasoning section ;
5) The plan was to apply in the second round of this year..but since i messed up, i m planning to apply in the first round of next year which is generally around september 2015..

@ Manyagroup;

Thanks for the advices ,actually i do have some basic issues in probabilities since im a civil engineer we hardly studied that back in school, i also have a lot of issuses with difficult vocabilary..which explains my low scores in the verbal section.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:00 pm
Hi souma730,

Most Test Takers need 3 months (or more) of study time to hit their respective "peak" scores, so it might just be that you have not put in enough time and effort yet. Your practice CAT scores show some big "swings" in the overall score, so I'd like to know a bit more about how you took these CATs:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT every time (or did you skip the Essay and/or IR sections?)?
2) Did you take any of these CATs more than once?
3) What time of day did you take your CATs and what time of day was your Official GMAT?
4) Have you had this pacing problem on all of your CATs?
5) Since your goal was a 730, but you didn't get close to that during your practice, why didn't you push back your Test Date?
6) What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on your Official GMAT?

With your new plan/timeline, you now have plenty of time to put towards your studies. You'll also be able to work on your applications without having to "juggle" so many other things at the same time.

Rich

by souma730 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:04 pm
hi Rich ,

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

1) Yes i took the entire CAT everytime..but i got disturbed in the middele of few of them ( Phone ringing , visitors..etc );
2)no i didnt take any of them more than once , i knew it was a bad idea to do so;
3) i took the cats mostly sunday afternoons or during the week in the evening, but my official GMAT TEST was in the morning;
4) i had this pacing prob in the GMAT PILL exam and the GMAT prep Exam 2 and i couldn't finish both quant and verb sections ..which explains the very low score;
5) I didnt push back my test date , because i desperately wanted to apply in the second round and i thought may be i didnt get the 730 score because i wasnt in the test conditions and because of allthe distractions and all..it wasn't very wise , i know..;
6) On my official GMAT i got 39 in the quantitative and 26 in the verbal section.

I hope y're right about the new timeline..i hope i'll can get a higher score in time..Although i have no clue where to start from..

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:42 pm
Hi souma730,

As you continue on with your studies, here are some notes and suggestions:

1) A 730+ is above the 90th percentile, which means that 90%+ of Test Takers either CAN'T or WON'T do what it takes to score at that level. For you to do so, you're going to have to make some serious adjustments to how you physically study (and this will include learning and practicing some new tactics).

2) Your GMAT score is in line with most of your practice CAT scores, so you're developed some "bad habits" that you will have to change.

3) If you expect to take your next GMAT in the morning, then you should take your practice CATs at the same approximate morning time and in conditions that are as close to Test-like as possible (and that minimize the potential for distractions).

4) Since this time of year can get "busy" for most people, you might consider starting your studies back up in January when there are fewer potential distractions and draws on your time.

5) You're probably going to need to invest in some new GMAT resources. Most companies offer free resources (practice questions, Trial accounts, etc.) so that you can test out a product before you buy it. I suggest that you look into the various options, then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:03 am
Hi Souma730,

There's one golden rule for all the competitive exams. It ain't over until its over. There can be many surprised while you take the actual GMAT as well. But you cannot let anything hassle you till you finish the exam. Train yourself to stay focused throughout the duration of the exam. That will be the key to success and nothing else. At this stage, you do not need any new material. All you need to do is believe in yourself that you can do it and keep your hopes alive.

Besides, here is something you can try. Take a mock test and time to finish the same in two hours. Post the test, spend the next 4-5 hours in analyzing your performance in the test. Go through each and every question and find out a better, smarter and a faster way to finish them. Take a note of all the points and make sure you apply them in the next mock test. Keep doing this consistently and we are hopeful your score will start moving towards your target score.

Hope the above tip helps. Do let us know if you would have any other specific question regarding gmat preparation and we would be happy to help.

Wish you the best and do keep us updated on your progress.