GMAT question Pack 1 CR

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740

GMAT question Pack 1 CR

by richachampion » Sat May 27, 2017 11:48 pm
In 1992 outlaw fishing boats began illegally harvesting lobsters from the territorial waters of the country of Belukia. Soon after, the annual tonnage of lobster legally harvested in Belukian waters began declining; in 1996, despite there being no reduction in the level of legal lobster fishing activity, the local catch was 9,000 tons below pre-1992 levels. It is therefore highly likely that the outlaw fishing boats harvested about 9,000 tons of lobster illegally that year.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. The illegal lobster harvesting was not so extensive that the population of catchable lobsters in Belukia's territorial waters had sharply declined by 1996.
B. The average annual lobster catch, in tons, of an outlaw fishing boat has increased steadily since 1992.
C. Outlaw fishing boats do not, as a group, harvest more lobsters than do licensed lobster-fishing boats.
D. The annual legal lobster harvest in Belukia in 1996 was not significantly less than 9,000 tons.
E. A significant proportion of Belukia's operators of licensed lobster-fishing boats went out of business between 1992 and 1996.
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740

by richachampion » Sun May 28, 2017 12:28 am
I am mainly interested in discussing Option A and Option E.
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon May 29, 2017 6:11 am
richachampion wrote:In 1992 outlaw fishing boats began illegally harvesting lobsters from the territorial waters of the country of Belukia. Soon after, the annual tonnage of lobster legally harvested in Belukian waters began declining; in 1996, despite there being no reduction in the level of legal lobster fishing activity, the local catch was 9,000 tons below pre-1992 levels. It is therefore highly likely that the outlaw fishing boats harvested about 9,000 tons of lobster illegally that year.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

A. The illegal lobster harvesting was not so extensive that the population of catchable lobsters in Belukia's territorial waters had sharply declined by 1996.
B. The average annual lobster catch, in tons, of an outlaw fishing boat has increased steadily since 1992.
C. Outlaw fishing boats do not, as a group, harvest more lobsters than do licensed lobster-fishing boats.
D. The annual legal lobster harvest in Belukia in 1996 was not significantly less than 9,000 tons.
E. A significant proportion of Belukia's operators of licensed lobster-fishing boats went out of business between 1992 and 1996.
Premise: In 1996, despite there being no reduction in the level of legal lobster fishing activity, the local catch was 9,000 tons below pre-1992 levels.
Conclusion: It is therefore highly likely that the outlaw fishing boats harvested about 9,000 tons of lobster illegally that year.

The argument assumes that the portion in red is the ONLY POSSIBLE EXPLANATION for the 9000-ton deficit in the 1996 local catch.

Apply the NEGATION TEST.
When the correct answer choice is negated, the conclusion will be invalidated.

A, negated:
The illegal lobster harvesting was so extensive that the population of catchable lobsters in Belukia's territorial waters had sharply declined by 1996.
This negation offers an ALTERNATE explanation for the 9000-ton deficit in the 1996 local catch -- a decline in the lobster population, as indicated by the portion in blue -- invalidating the conclusion that outlaw boats in 1996 were responsible for the deficit.
Since the negation of A invalidates the conclusion, A is an assumption: a statement that MUST BE TRUE for the conclusion to hold.

The correct answer is A.

E, negated:
A significant proportion of Belukia's operators of licensed lobster-fishing boats went still in business between 1992 and 1996.
This negation seems to confirms the premise that there was no reduction in the level of legal lobster fishing activity.
But it is still entirely possible that outlaw boats in 1996 were responsible for the 9000-ton deficit in the local catch.
Since the negation of E does not invalidate the conclusion, eliminate E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3