GMAT PrepNow Videos or MGMAT (Book package) - Better ?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I am planning on starting Beat The Gmat in 60 day course. I have a choice of Gmat PrepNow videos or purchase MGMAT book. I can do both but I think I will not be able to cover BOTH material. So it is wise to choose only one.

Those who used both or either of these material. Which would you recommend going with?
I noticed that MGMAT offers Advances Quant books (Not sure if same thing is covered in GMAT PrepNow video course.

Please provide some advice.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:20 am
Nikonnn wrote: I noticed that MGMAT offers Advances Quant books (Not sure if same thing is covered in GMAT PrepNow video course.
To answer your question about advanced materials, our video course covers every concept and strategy you need to score 800. We just don't label our materials "advanced" or "basic."

Cheers,
Brent - GMAT Prep Now
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:01 am
Hi Nikonnn,

The materials that might suit you best will depend on your personal strengths and weaknesses and your overall goals. Thus, if you can define your situation in a bit more detail, then we should be able to figure out a plan that will help you to best succeed.

Have you done any studying yet? Have you taken any practice CATs? If you have, then how did you score (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Nikonnn » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:28 am
I have been studying for gmat On and Off for a few month 3 month (using GMAT Official 2016 guides). Did my CAT just recently and scored 490. Due to small mistakes. I realized that studying by book is too formal and doesn't provide any tricks/tips on how to tackle the problems.

Ideal score: 660
I have almost 2 month before the test and plan on doing all problems one more time, and looking for a book/video course which will cover all tricks and strategies. I cant decide between MGMAT books or GMAT PrepNow Video course. I feel like I need strategies :)
I will go hardcore for the 2 month. 4-5 hrs studying a day.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:20 am
Nikonnn wrote:Did my CAT just recently and scored 490. Due to small mistakes.
If small/silly mistakes are an issue, then it's important that you identify and categorize these mistakes. Some examples might include:
- sloppy writing causes a 7 to mysteriously turn into a 1
- you forget that a question is an EXCEPT question.
- you fail to notice crucial information such as x is an integer or w < 0.
- you calculate Pat's current age when the question asked for the Pat's age 5 years from now.
- and so on

Once you have identified the types of mistakes that YOU typically make, you will be able to spot situations/questions in which you're prone to making errors.

I write about this and other strategies in the following article: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/articles/avo ... teaks-gmat

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:29 am
Hi Nikonnn,

Raising a 490 to a 660+ will take some serious work. Many Test Takers spend 3 months of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so this whole process might end up taking more time than you've allotted.

1) What were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on this Test?
2) Did you take the FULL CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
3) Did you have to rush to finish any of the sections (and have to guess on questions at the end just to finish?)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:33 am
Hi Nikonnn,

Brent's point is incredibly important here. I think it matters less what materials you use (of course I'm biased towards Manhattan Prep's, which are excellent, but any reputable company will have high-value content). It's much more important how you approach your studies.

Here are very important guidelines:

1. Track your mistakes! There is no such thing as a "small mistake." A wrong answer is a wrong answer! You want to be systematic about locating patterns in your mistakes, and working to fix them. More here: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... -studying/

2. Fix your timing. You need to practice by timing yourself on individual problems, then on larger problem sets, then on practice tests. If you run out of time on the test, you'll never be able to achieve a tip score. More here: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... illing-me/

You can use Mprep's GMAT Navigator to time yourself on individual problems: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/stor ... navigator/

Another resource you might want to consider: Manhattan Prep's GMAT Interact.

Unlike other programs that have static videos, this program is fully interactive: you answers questions in the platform, and it gives you personalized feedback. Our program focuses and strategies and approaches, as you mentioned, not simply content. More info here: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/prep/on-demand/

Let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck with your studies!
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education