GMAT Prep Test

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

GMAT Prep Test

by greatman » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:14 pm
Hi,

Today I gave GMAT prep test and got 540 Quant 37 and Verb. 26....I am very much worried as my target is 600.

Having problems in DS and Reading Comrehension. Till date I have completed OG 11....

Test date is March 13 and my next strategy is :-

1. Official Verbral and Quant book

2. OG 10

3. Again revision of OG 11

4. Some tests from Kaplan etc.

For SC I am reading Manhattan SC......

How to beat DS and RC questions?

Please give me your suggestion, which you think can be usefull foe me....

Thanks

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:28 pm
slip OG10.

CUT IT from your list.

gimme some time for ur strats

by greatman » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:48 am
Thanks for the reply....Can you tell me why you r advising me to drop OG10 from list...May be due to repitition of questions.

Is it worth to attend some online courses? I am located in around Toronto?
For self study I am devoting 3-4 hrs daily and 7-8 hours on weekends.

Waiting for your advices on my strat.?

Thanks

by greatman » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:45 am
Which r the best tests except GMAT prep and powerprep to have the feeling of real question....

Is it worth to do practice with Kaplan or Manhattam tests? If yes which is better and gives feeling near to real exam.

Thanks

Legendary Member

by aim-wsc » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:35 am
I said to skip OG 10 because you will find similar items in
Official Verbral and Quant books

OK you are the same guy with thread https://www.beatthegmat.com/viewtopic.php?t=1113 all right :)

I dont recommend any private tuitor or any coaching classes... I believe in self study. and i Also believe in investing minimum $$ for your GMAT prep. :) haa haa thats my personal opinion

If you can afford you can try Manhattan online ... I also received good reviews about Veritas check the advertisement...it must be here on this site...

For ^real^ experience of GMAT GMAT Prep is the first and the last sim CAT software... the GUI is so similar i heard....

anyway there are some trusted sim CAT tests
PR
KAPLAN
800score.com

I think Manhattan also has some sim CAT tests... check their website...
and let me know. ;)

Lastly and most importantly,
Follow Eric's blog to know how to study well.
https://beatthegmat.blocked

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by wunderkind » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:40 pm
I would drop OG 10 just because it's out of date and too easy. GMAT math is definitely harder now.

Do the Princeton Review tests instead of Kaplan. They are much more like the real thing. They're also better for verbal prep, esp RC. The Manhattan SC book is good, from what I hear.

3-4 hours a day might be a bit too much. I'd burn out with that schedule. Try to keep a good pace but don't overdo it.

An online course could be good. I am doing Princeton Review's and would definitely recommend it. It is not boring at all, and I kind of expected to be bored.

Legendary Member

let s

by aim-wsc » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:04 pm
anybody of you thinking of taking the test in coming months...

lets do it together..
visit the thread. and feel free to post anything...
its a free sortta thread...

https://www.beatthegmat.com/viewtopic.php?t=994

thank you.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:47 pm
Hey, guys

As others have already said OG 10 overlaps a great deal with OG11 and the two supplemental math and verbal books, so not necessary to use both.

Greatman, have you been analyzing your practice questions after you complete them to understand both why you are getting things right and wrong and how the questions are constructed? That is the real secret to your prep - just doing a bunch of questions without analysis won't get you very far. It's like learning a sport - if you don't really know how to play but you just keep doing what you're already doing over and over again without learning the right way to do it... all you do is reinforce all the bad habits you have rather than replacing them with good habits.

When analyzing a question (whether you got it right or wrong!), ask yourself whether the way you did it is the way you want to do it on the test (even if you got it right, you might not have found the best way to do it). If you don't want to do it the same way, figure out how you do want to do it next time you see a question like this one. If you got it wrong, figure out why you got it wrong. Was it content - such as forgetting a formula or grammar rule? Or was it process - such as getting "tricked" or pulled away from the right answer for some reason. If you understand why you make mistakes, then you can correct the situation next time you're about to make a similar mistake.

Finally, you want to be able to recognize a question of that type again if you see one. The testwriters do use certain templates for multiple questions and, though the details will be different and you'll still have to solve each problem individually, you'll be a step ahead if you can recognize that you've seen a similar problem before and remember how you tackled it last time.

Re: ManhattanGMAT resources, we also have simulated CAT practice tests - I am biased of course, but I think they're great and my students have reported so, too - and an online course which covers the exact same curriculum as the in-person course but for a lower cost (lower overhead). We also have corporate discounts for a number of companies; you might want to check with your company or our office (800.576.GMAT or [email protected])

We have a strategy guide similar to SC for RC - though you might want to wait until Feb when we are publishing a new, expanded version. (Right now, RC and CR are together in one guide; in Feb, they will each get their own full guide.) You can ask the office for the exact publishing date - not sure if it will be early or late in the month.

For DS, we don't have one book that completely addresses the question type, unfortunately. We have 5 math strategy guides which are organized according to content (algebra, geometry, etc.) and which cover strategies for DS and PS within each content area. And, of course, the class (whether online or in person) covers DS strategy thoroughly throughout the 9 weeks.

Good luck with your prep!
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

by greatman » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:39 am
Thanks to all for ypur suggestions......I 'll skip OG 10.....I have dropped the idea to do any online course....

In the meantime update.....I score 510 in Kaplan test 1.........

Any comments !!!!!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:16 am
greatman wrote:Thanks to all for ypur suggestions......I 'll skip OG 10.....I have dropped the idea to do any online course....

In the meantime update.....I score 510 in Kaplan test 1.........

Any comments !!!!!!
Don't take your Kaplan test scores seriously. They are severely skewed downward from what you can actually expect on the real GMAT.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school