GMAT Prep SC - new genetic evidence

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by mankey » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:05 pm
Difference between D and E is still not clear. Please help how should once choose between D and E?

"support for vs support to"?

Please help.

Regards.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:760

by thulsy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:26 pm
Hi Mankey,
Check this thread.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/to-do-vs-for ... 27493.html
mankey wrote:Difference between D and E is still not clear. Please help how should once choose between D and E?

"support for vs support to"?

Please help.

Regards.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by vikram4689 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:56 am
Following rule given by RON is helpful here,
In general, the modifier "to + verb" is used to signal the goal or purpose of an action/statement, while "for + verbing" conveys the idea that the action is, in some generic way, oriented toward the process of "verbing"

Evidence is providing a benefit/giving some additional information. It is not fulfilling any particular goal/purpose

Thanks Ron
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)

by vietmoi999 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:58 am
a support to somebody
a support for something

"a support for classification " is used to say that no agent/doer of "classification" exist. "suppport for doing" is used when an agent who do "doing" is present in the sentence. however, this differenciation is prefered not absolute. this mean we can see that "doing" is used to refer to general action.

in gmatprep, there are many question which test doing/noun split. and the basement to solve those split is the point I said above.

by vietmoi999 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:06 pm
lunarpower wrote:i received a private message regarding this thread.
thulsy wrote:Could anyone shed some light on choice C?
"provide support to" doesn't make sense here. that wording means, basically, the same as "provide assistance/help to", and is thus almost always followed by a person.
e.g. there will be medical personnel present at the festival to provide support to victims of heat stroke and drug overdoses.

as for "classification" vs. "classifying" -- both of these work ok here. the first treats the system as something that basically just exists -- de-emphasizing the human aspect -- while the second places emphasis on the human act of classifying.
I think that both "to do" and "for doing" can be used to say about general action not created by a specific person/ noun in the sentence. for example

it is good to learn english
this book is good for learning enlgish

there is no person/agent which create the action of "to learn" and "learning" in the above sentence,

pls tell me which of the following is corret and explain. thank you

this book is good for learning english
this book is good to learn English
If anyone in this gmat forum is in England, pls email to me([email protected]) . I have some problems and need your advise. Thank a lot

by vietmoi999 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:56 pm
khojason wrote:New genetic evidence - together with recent studies of elephants' skeletons, tusks, and other anatomical features - provide compelling support for classifying Africa's forest elephants and its savanna elephants as separate species.

A. provide compelling support for classifying
B. provide compelling support for the classification of
C. provides compelling support to the classification of
D. provides compelling support for classifying
E. provides compelling support to classify

I can also go to D. However, honestly, D would be better if it is writen

for classifiying of ...

Am I correct?
If anyone in this gmat forum is in England, pls email to me([email protected]) . I have some problems and need your advise. Thank a lot