by anksm22 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:07 am

OA A

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:02 pm
Hi anksm22,

This SC is based heavily on Modification rules (all those commas and intervening phrases provide the clue). We're given information about how Galileo did not invent the telescope but he built his own version after hearing about the telescope.

1) Pronouns: The modifying phrases give us information about Galileo and the telescope; the end of the sentence tells us what Galileo ended up doing. We need a specific reference to Galileo to complete the last part of the sentence - the pronoun "he" is required. Eliminate B and D.

2) Redundancy: Correct GMAT SCs won't state an idea twice (re: use two words that mean the same thing). Answer E uses "even though" AND "but" to convey a contrast. The sentence does NOT need them both. Eliminate E.

3) Efficiency: If all other rules are correct (and the intent/meaning of the sentence is not changed), the correct answer tends to be the shorter (and more efficiently worded) option. Answer A tells us "Galileo did not invent the telescope, but...."; Answer C tells us "Galileo, even though he did not invent the telescope..." Answer A is far more efficient. Eliminate C.

Final Answer: A

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:19 am
Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he quickly built his own device from an organ pipe and spectacle lenses.

A. Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he
B. Galileo had not invented the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument having been made,
C. Galileo, even though he had not invented the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he
D. Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made,
E. Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument being made, he

B: an optical instrument having been made
NOUN + having + VERBed is ALWAYS WRONG.
Eliminate B.

C: Galileo...he quickly built his own device.
Here, Galileo (subject) lacks a verb.
Eliminate C.

D: Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope...quickly built his own device.
Here, built (verb) lacks a subject.
Eliminate D.

E: Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, but...he quickly built
Here, even though and but are redundant.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:46 members

by EducationAisle » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:59 pm
In option E, which you have chosen, at the very least there is a meaning ambiguity, since it mentions: he heard of such an optical instrument being made.

This can mean that the optical instrument was in the process of being made, while the original sentence clearly tells us that such an optical instrument was already made.
Ashish
MBA - ISB, GMAT - 99th Percentile
GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle
www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at:

a) Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana

b) Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi