GMAT Prep Question

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by ngk4mba3236 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:51 am
i think, these are valid errors in option A:

1. by the use of acoustical signals, but not [by] olfactory ones --> the [RED] portion is dropped,resulting into an incorrect parallelism grammatically.

2. use of "they" is redundant and breaks parallelism.

can you please confirm ?
GMATGuruNY wrote:
ngk4mba3236 wrote:gmatguru,
is the following an error in C:
by using acoustical signals, not [by] using olfactory ones, and by attracting --> the [RED] portion is dropped,resulting into an incorrect parallelism grammatically.
This line of reasoning is valid.
similarly, option E is wrong for the following reason as well (apart from the reason you mentioned earlier in this thread) :

using acoustical signals, but not [using] olfactory ones, and attracting --> the [RED] portion is dropped, resulting into an incorrect parallelism grammatically.

right ?
Last edited by ngk4mba3236 on Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

by ngk4mba3236 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:39 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:The structure in the OA is as follows:
CLAUSE + NO COMMA + using.
In this structure, using may serve to refer to the preceding SUBJECT if the intended meaning is crystal clear.

Rule:
A VERBing modifier cannot serve to modify a third-person pronoun serving as the object of preposition (to him, for her, from them, by it, etc.) .
is the above rule true for any Object pronoun on GMAT ?

and will a VERBing modifier without a COMMA before it ever serve to modify a possessive pronoun on GMAT SC ?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:36 am
ngk4mba3236 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:The structure in the OA is as follows:
CLAUSE + NO COMMA + using.
In this structure, using may serve to refer to the preceding SUBJECT if the intended meaning is crystal clear.

Rule:
A VERBing modifier cannot serve to modify a third-person pronoun serving as the object of preposition (to him, for her, from them, by it, etc.) .
is the above rule true for any Object pronoun on GMAT ?
Verbs of PERCEPTION include to see, to observe, to feel, etc.
A VERBing may serve to refer to a third-person pronoun serving as the object of a verb of perception:
After a 10-hour search, I found him sleeping in the hallway.
Other than this limited usage, a VERBing may not serve to refer to an object pronoun.
and will a VERBing modifier without a COMMA before it ever serve to modify a possessive pronoun on GMAT SC ?
A VERBing modifier may not serve to modify a possessive pronoun.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by ngk4mba3236 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:18 am
gmatguru,
can you please let me know whether i'm correct in identifying these errors in choice A and E as mentioned here - https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-qu ... tml#777897 ?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:19 am
ngk4mba3236 wrote:i think, these are valid errors in option A:

1. by the use of acoustical signals, but not [by] olfactory ones --> the [RED] portion is dropped,resulting into an incorrect parallelism grammatically.
This line of reasoning seems invalid.
In A, the forms connected by but not -- acoustical signals, olfactory ones -- are parallel.
It is not necessary that the preposition of be repeated.
In A, the forms connected by and -- male whistling moths call, they use -- are parallel.
The OA to SC52 in the OG12 employs a similar structure:
Josephine Baker made Paris her home, and she remained in France during the Second World War.
ngk4mba3236 wrote:similarly, option E is wrong for the following reason as well (apart from the reason you mentioned earlier in this thread) :

using acoustical signals, but not [using] olfactory ones, and attracting --> the [RED] portion is dropped, resulting into an incorrect parallelism grammatically.
The forms connected by but not -- acoustical signals, olfactory ones -- are parallel.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:33 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
In A, the forms connected by and -- male whistling moths call, they use -- are parallel.
The OA to SC52 in the OG12 employs a similar structure:
Josephine Baker made Paris her home, and she remained in France during the Second World War.

Dear Guru,
i have doubt your reasoning. I depnded on your post below:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/og12-two-qs- ... 81625.html

According to the post, the OA to SC52 in the OG12

In the OA for the first SC, giving remained its own subject (she) serves a purpose: it separates the second action (she remained in France) from the first (Josephine Baker made Paris her home). This separation is needed because the introductory modifier (long before it was fashionable) refers only to the first action.

However, I find the question under discussion in this post is similar to the the other sentence in your post:

Joan of Arc, a young Frenchwoman who claimed to be divinely inspired, turned the tide of English victories in her country by liberating the city of Orleans and persuaded Charles VII of France to claim his throne.

In the second SC, the she in answer choice A serves no purpose, making D (the OA) the better answer choice.

So I believe that the structure in second example resembles the structure of the question under under discussion. So 'she' should be removed.

What do I miss?

Thanks

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:16 am
Mo2men wrote:So I believe that the structure in second example resembles the structure of the question under under discussion.

What do I miss?

Thanks
Generally, a conjunction serving to connect two independent clauses should be preceded by a comma.

A: Joan of Arc turned the tide of English victories in her country and she persuaded Charles VII of France to claim his throne.
Here, and is serving to connect the two independent clauses in red.
Since no comma precedes and, eliminate A.

A: The male whistling moths call female moths to them, and they attract their mates during the day.
Here, and is serving to connect the two independent clauses in red.
Since and is preceded by a comma, I would not eliminate A for a lack of parallelism or redundancy.

Another OA with COMMA + and they:
Medical researchers at Harvard concluded that sedentary life-styles lead to lung diseases, and they strongly recommended that middle-aged people undertake some form of regular exercise.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by ngk4mba3236 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:38 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
ngk4mba3236 wrote:i think, these are valid errors in option A:

In A, the forms connected by but not -- acoustical signals, olfactory ones -- are parallel.
It is not necessary that the preposition of be repeated..
(I wasn't concerned with the preposition of)
I was referring to the fact that the preposition by seems to be dropped from the phrase "olfactory ones" and thus such construction seems to result into an incorrect parallelism grammatically.

isn't the phrase -- "BY olfactory ones" -- required here for a better parallelism ?

GMATGuruNY wrote:
ngk4mba3236 wrote:similarly, option E is wrong for the following reason as well (apart from the reason you mentioned earlier in this thread) :

The forms connected by but not -- acoustical signals, olfactory ones -- are parallel.
getting confused here because earlier in this thread we've discussed that similar parallelism error holds true for option C!

if such parallelism error constitutes an error in C, then could you please clarify that why E will NOT be wrong here for the reason I stated above ?

p.s: this SC seems really a hard one. would you please share your details analysis for this sc, with the possible errors in the answer choices ?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:15 am
ngk4mba3236 wrote:isn't the phrase -- "BY olfactory ones" -- required here for a better parallelism ?
Your proposed revision of A:
by THE USE...not by OLFACTORY ONES
Here, the use is illogically compared to olfactory ones.
getting confused here because earlier in this thread we've discussed that similar parallelism error holds true for option C!

if such parallelism error constitutes an error in C, then could you please clarify that why E will NOT be wrong here for the reason I stated above ?
E: Male moths call female moths to them using acoustical signals, but not olfactory ones.
Here, it is crystal clear that the blue portion serves as a direct object of using:
Male moths call female moths to them not using olfactory ones.
It is not possible for the blue portion to serve any other function.

C: Male moths call female moths to them by using acoustical signals, not using olfactory ones.
Here, the function of the red portion is not crystal clear.
Interpretation 1:
Male moths call female moths to them not by using olfactory ones.
Here, the red portion is a NOUN PHRASE serving as the object of by.
Interpretation 2:
Male moths call female moths to them not using olfactory ones.
Here, the red portion is an ADJECTIVE serving to describe male moths.
Since the function of the red portion is not crystal clear, the structure in C is not viable.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:44 am
Scientists believe that unlike the males of most species of moth, the male whistling moths of Nambung, Australia, call female moths to them by the use of acoustical signals, but not olfactory ones, and they attract their mates during the day, rather than at night.
(A) by the use of acoustical signals, but not olfactory ones, and they attract
(B) by the use of acoustical signals instead of using olfactory ones, and attracting
(C) by using acoustical signals, not using olfactory ones, and by attracting
(D) using acoustical signals, rather than olfactory ones, and attract
(E) using acoustical signals, but not olfactory ones, and attracting
When a by-modifier serves to express HOW the preceding subject performs an action, the preferrred construction is BY + VERBing.
Incorrect: John earned a fortune by wise investments.
Correct: John earned a fortune by investing wisely.

A and B: Male whistling moths call female moths to them by the use of acoustical signals.
In accordance with the rule above, the red portion is incorrect.
Eliminate A and B.

C: Male whistling moths call female moths to them...by attracting their mates.
E: Male whistling moths call female moths to them...attracting their mates.
These options convey a nonsensical meaning that is analogous to the following:
Men at parties call women to them by attracting their wives.
Eliminate C and E.

The correct answer is D.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by ngk4mba3236 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:08 am
GMATGuruNY wrote: C: Male moths call female moths to them by using acoustical signals, not using olfactory ones.
Interpretation 2:
Male moths call female moths to them using olfactory ones.
I guess, there should be NOT before the above RED portion of Interpretation 2. right ?

by ngk4mba3236 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:13 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:When a by-modifier serves to express HOW the preceding subject performs an action, the preferrred construction is BY + VERBing.
so, is this preference always considered in GMAT SC whenever we need to express HOW the preceding subject performs an action ?

and any example when BY + NOT VERBing construction will be used in GMAT ?
GMATGuruNY wrote: C: Male whistling moths call female moths to them...by attracting their mates.
Eliminate C and E.
this error applies to B as well, I think! right ?

as for E, could you please shed some light on the entities in the parallel list ?
Last edited by ngk4mba3236 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:11 am
ngk4mba3236 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote: C: Male moths call female moths to them by using acoustical signals, not using olfactory ones.
Interpretation 2:
Male moths call female moths to them using olfactory ones.
I guess, there should be NOT before the above RED portion of Interpretation 2. right ?
Correct.
I've amended my post above accordingly.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by ngk4mba3236 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:09 am
gmatguru,
any update on these doubts - https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-qu ... tml#779560 ?

curious to hear your feedback. thank you!

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:00 am
ngk4mba3236 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:When a by-modifier serves to express HOW the preceding subject performs an action, the preferrred construction is BY + VERBing.
so, is this preference always considered in GMAT SC whenever we need to express HOW the preceding subject performs an action ?
I expect this rule to hold true.
Offhand, I cannot cite an official exception.
and any example when BY + NOT VERBing construction will be used in GMAT ?
Please refer to my post here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/suggested-po ... 88786.html
GMATGuruNY wrote: C: Male whistling moths call female moths to them...by attracting their mates.
Eliminate C and E.
this error applies to B as well, I think! right ?
Yes.
B: Male whistling moths call female moths to them...instead of...attracting their mates.
Here, the red portion seems to convey the same meaning error discussed above.
as for E, could you please shed some light on the entities in the parallel list ?
E: Male whistling moths call...using acoustical signals, but not olfactory ones, and attracting.
Here:
using and attracting are parallel forms.
Each seems intended to modify the preceding clause -- male whistling moths call -- expressing how the moths CALL.
acoustical signals and olfactory ones are also parallel forms.
Each seems intended to serve as a direct object of using.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3