Gmat Prep in addition to

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

Gmat Prep in addition to

by mundasingh123 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:11 pm
Below is anexcerpt of the discuss @ h[url]ttp://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/turning-aw ... t5815.html[/url]
Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 Selma Lagerlöf was the novelist who became the first woman and was also the first Swedish writer to win the Nobel Prize for Literature.

A. Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 Selma Lagerlöf was the novelist who became the first woman and was also the first Swedish writer to win
B. She turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and novelist Selma Lagerlöf in 1909 became the first woman as well as the first Swedish writer that won
C. Selma Lagerlöf was a novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and in 1909 she became the first woman in addition to the first Swedish writer winning
D. A novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, Selma Lagerlöf became in 1909 the first woman and also the first Swedish writer to win
E. As a novelist, Selma Lagerlöf turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 becoming the first woman and also the first Swedish writer that won

Quoting Ron
C
interesting.
my reading here is that "in addition to" breaks up the construction completely, into 2 independent parts. therefore, selma was "the first woman" (in the garden of eden!) in addition to blah blah blah.

When is in addition to used ?
Could some one explain how to interpret the sentence in C
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:29 am
mundasingh123 wrote:Below is anexcerpt of the discuss @ h[url]ttp://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/turning-aw ... t5815.html[/url]
Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 Selma Lagerlöf was the novelist who became the first woman and was also the first Swedish writer to win the Nobel Prize for Literature.

A. Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 Selma Lagerlöf was the novelist who became the first woman and was also the first Swedish writer to win
B. She turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and novelist Selma Lagerlöf in 1909 became the first woman as well as the first Swedish writer that won
C. Selma Lagerlöf was a novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and in 1909 she became the first woman in addition to the first Swedish writer winning
D. A novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, Selma Lagerlöf became in 1909 the first woman and also the first Swedish writer to win
E. As a novelist, Selma Lagerlöf turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 becoming the first woman and also the first Swedish writer that won

Quoting Ron
C
interesting.
my reading here is that "in addition to" breaks up the construction completely, into 2 independent parts. therefore, selma was "the first woman" (in the garden of eden!) in addition to blah blah blah.

In addition to is used when it can be replaced by besides, for example, in addition to x he also did y

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:45 am
So whats ron saying here ?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:45 members
GMAT Score:760

by Jim@Grockit » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:59 pm
He's saying that breaking up the phrase -- leaving "she became the first woman" separate from the notion of becoming the first Swedish writer of either GMAT to win -- suggests that she literally became the first female human being . . . which, as I understand anyway, she did not. Females existed before Selma.

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:50 pm
Jim@Grockit wrote:He's saying that breaking up the phrase -- leaving "she became the first woman" separate from the notion of becoming the first Swedish writer of either GMAT to win -- suggests that she literally became the first female human being . . . which, as I understand anyway, she did not. Females existed before Selma.
Hi Jim
C says
and in 1909 she became the first woman in addition to the first Swedish writer winning
couldnt winning modify "the first woman " . In that case C makes sense,doesnt it ?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by vietmoi999 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:14 am
why the two verbs in the parallelism in B are considered not logic. ?

what is the meaing realation between the verb in relative clause and that in the main clause in D, the OA? is this meaning relation is betwee the meaning relation in B.

please, help

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:650

by theCodeToGMAT » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:49 am
vietmoi999 wrote:why the two verbs in the parallelism in B are considered not logic. ?

what is the meaing realation between the verb in relative clause and that in the main clause in D, the OA? is this meaning relation is betwee the meaning relation in B.

please, help
[A] - Incorrect; Wrong Modifier placement. "Selma Lagerlof" is not placed right next to ","
- Incorrect; insane meaning, suggesting that "she" and "Selma Lagerlof" are two different entities
[C] - Incorrect; "as well as" was better then "in addition to"; "winning" should be replaced with "to win"
[E] - Incorrect; wrong meaning.. using the construct of cause-effect is not needed.

ANSWER [spoiler][D][/spoiler]

The Sentence B gives very false meaning, suggesting that we are talking about two people "she" and "Selma" with the missing reference to "she".

In [D],
MODIFIER: "A novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden"
is modifying "Selma"
This sentence clearly focuses on the main part of the sentence that "Selma Lagerlöf became in 1909......" and clearly uses the modifier for Selma
R A H U L

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:35 am
vietmoi999 wrote:why the two verbs in the parallelism in B are considered not logic. ?

please, help
B. She turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and novelist Selma Lagerlöf in 1909 became the first woman as well as the first Swedish writer that won the Nobel Prize for Literature.

Look for EASY reasons to eliminate answers.
Here, that serves to refer to woman: the first woman that won the Nobel Prize.
On the GMAT, that should not serve to refer to a person.
Since D avoids this problem, eliminate B and choose D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by \'manpreet singh » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:26 pm
mundasingh123 wrote:Below is anexcerpt of the discuss @ h[url]ttp://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/turning-aw ... t5815.html[/url]

A. Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 Selma Lagerlöf was the novelist who became the first woman and was also the first Swedish writer to win.(Modifier error)
B. She turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and novelist Selma Lagerlöf in 1909 became the first woman as well as the first Swedish writer that won(Pronoun ambiguity "she" and wordy and unclear meaning, "that won"is wrong usage here.)
C. Selma Lagerlöf was a novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and in 1909 she became the first woman in addition to the first Swedish writer winning .( In addition to first swedish writer is not used appropriately and distorts the meaning)
D. A novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, Selma Lagerlöf became in 1909 the first woman and also the first Swedish writer to win(Correct)
E. As a novelist, Selma Lagerlöf turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 becoming the first woman and also the first Swedish writer that won(As can't be used to compare nouns)

Quoting Ron
C
interesting.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Alchemist14 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:05 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
B. She turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and novelist Selma Lagerlöf in 1909 became the first woman as well as the first Swedish writer that won the Nobel Prize for Literature.

Hi Mitch,

Thanks for the great explanation,

I narrowed it down to C and D. But I felt C sounded awkward so chose D.
Could you please explain what 'in addition' in C means?

Thanks,
Al

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:09 am
Alchemist14 wrote:Hi Mitch,

Thanks,
Al
C: she became the first woman in addition to the first Swedish writer winning the Nobel Prize.
This wording seems to convey that Selma Lagerlöf became two things:
the first woman
the first Swedish writer winning the Nobel Prize.
This meaning is nonsensical:
Selma Lagerlöf was not the first woman on Earth.
Eliminate C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:34 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
C: she became the first woman in addition to the first Swedish writer winning the Nobel Prize.
This wording seems to convey that Selma Lagerlöf became two things:
the first woman
the first Swedish writer winning the Nobel Prize.
This meaning is nonsensical:
Selma Lagerlöf was not the first woman on Earth.
Eliminate C.
Dear Mitch,

In Choice C:
1- Does the participle correct 'to the first Swedish writer winning '? Is the idiom 'first X to do Y'? or first X doing Y??

In Choice D
1- Is the construction 'A novelist who turned away from literary.......' appositive modifier? is the subordinate clause ''who........" correct?
2- Is the 'turned away from..... to....' an idiom? If yes, should two parts be parallel? In the OA, 'turn from Noun to Verb?

In choice E
Does the phrase 'turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic'? then i can eliminate this choice?

Thanks for your support

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:49 am
Alchemist14 wrote:Hi Mitch,

Thanks,
Al
Mary receives stock options in addition to her salary.
Conveyed meaning:
Mary receives a salary.
IN ADDITION, Mary receives stock options.
Implication:
The stock options are not the primary source of income but are an ADDITION: something ADDED onto the salary.

C: Selma Lagerlöf became the first woman in addition to the first Swedish writer winning the Nobel prize.
Conveyed meaning:
Selma Lagerlöf became the first woman winning the Nobel Prize.
IN ADDITION, Selma Lagerlöf became the first woman.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate C.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:08 am
Mo2men wrote:Dear Mitch,

In Choice C:
1- Does the participle correct 'to the first Swedish writer winning '? Is the idiom 'first X to do Y'? or first X doing Y??
Incorrect: X became the first doing Y.
Correct: X became the first TO DO Y.
In Choice D
1- Is the construction 'A novelist who turned away from literary.......' appositive modifier?
Yes.
In D, a novelist is an introductory appositive serving to define the following subject (Selma Lagerlöf).
'' is the subordinate clausewho........" correct?

D is the OA to an SC in GMATPrep.
By definition, any construction in an OA is correct.
2- Is the 'turned away from..... to....' an idiom? If yes, should two parts be parallel? In the OA, 'turn from Noun to Verb?
Idiom: X turned away from Y to do Z.
In this idiom, the red portion will typically be a noun or noun phrase, while the blue portion will typically be an infinitive action.
As a result, the two colored portions will not be parallel.
In choice E
Does the phrase 'turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic'? then i can eliminate this choice?
Here, the usage of and is unidiomatic.
Eliminate E.
The correct idiom is X turned away from Y to do Z.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by rsarashi » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:32 am

Hi GMATGuruNY ,

Just a quick question, can you please advise if and also both acceptable in one sentence.

Please explain sir.

Thanks.