Welcome! Check out our free B-School Guides to learn how you compare with other applicants.
Login or Register

GMAT or GRE - which is easier to master?

This topic has 6 member replies

Which test is easier to study/score highest on: GRE or GMAT?

GRE

50% (2 votes)
GMAT

50% (2 votes)
RevRockSteady Just gettin' started! Default Avatar
Posted:
14 messages
GMAT or GRE - which is easier to master? Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:27 am
I am going to spend my summer studying (2-3 months)for either the GMAT or the GRE because I am applying to PhD programs in business in winter.

I am currently in my last MBA semester.

When I took my GMAT's, I barely studied for a few weeks, and did average. Got the job done so to speak . . .

YEARS ago I took the GRE, over 5 years ago, again not really studying for 3 weeks, and did moderate.

Quant is my strong point, Writing is always a perfect/high score, and verbal is usually where I dip.

People on other forums have been saying that I should just do the GMAT because it will prove myself. Each admissions office has said that both exams are equal in their eyes, openly accept either exam, and to just go with whichever I will be the most comfortable/strongest with.

I could use some opinions on taking the GMAT or GRE again. In the time I will have to study (along with studying I will have my MBA capstone course once a week), I am not sure what test is easier to master since I am taking it seriously this time.

I get mixed reviews . . . any advice?
Confused

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
frantastic Rising GMAT Star Default Avatar
Posted:
59 messages
Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:20 pm
If quant is your strong point, I would do the GMAT. Verbal is more of a challenge on the GRE because of all the vocab.

aim-wsc GMAT Titan
Posted:
2470 messages
Followed by:
13 members
Target GMAT Score:
801-
Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:06 pm
frantastic wrote:
If quant is your strong point, I would do the GMAT. Verbal is more of a challenge on the GRE because of all the vocab.
& I have exactly opposite perception Laughing

I'd say vocab makes verbal part of GRE easier than GMAT.

It depends on how YOU see it!
GMAT is more of grammar & picking consice n sentences without compromising the meaning of it.
while
GRE has a word-list of ~3500 word you got to know, their roots, origin ALL meaning and subtle differences in their respective synonyms.

For Quant section:
I believe both are of same level but people say GMAT's quant is more tough than GRE's

PS:
Sorry for confusing you still, but I honestly believe it depends on your taste! You already are familiar with both the tests and their structure. So you should know better.

I think since you are pursuing MBA you should be more comfortable ( & would perform better) at GMAT!

chidcguy GMAT Destroyer! Default Avatar
Posted:
438 messages
Post Tue May 20, 2008 3:31 pm
Thats correct. It depends on person and what their strengths are. I have been toying with the idea of taking GRE as well as a back up.

Does Sloan/Stanford accept GRE from any one? or from countries only where GMAT is NOT administered. If another 10 schools in the top 20 start accepting GRE, it will be a game changer and I will go for GRE as the concepts tested on the GRE are easier compared to GMAT

Does any one have the list of schools that accept GRE now other than the two above?

greorgmat Just gettin' started! Default Avatar
Posted:
1 messages
Post Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:07 am
aim-wsc wrote:
frantastic wrote:
& I have exactly opposite perception Laughing

I'd say vocab makes verbal part of GRE easier than GMAT.

It depends on how YOU see it!
GMAT is more of grammar & picking consice n sentences without compromising the meaning of it.
while
GRE has a word-list of ~3500 word you got to know, their roots, origin ALL meaning and subtle differences in their respective synonyms.

For Quant section:
I believe both are of same level but people say GMAT's quant is more tough than GRE's

PS:
Sorry for confusing you still, but I honestly believe it depends on your taste! You already are familiar with both the tests and their structure. So you should know better.

I think since you are pursuing MBA you should be more comfortable ( & would perform better) at GMAT!
You are stupid

MAHWISH Just gettin' started! Default Avatar
Posted:
11 messages
Target GMAT Score:
750+
Post Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:50 pm
I am in same confusion. I feel myself good at both Quantitative as well as verbal.

Mostly business schools prefer GMAt, I asked admission department but in other universities like stanford GRE is the choice. If any update. let me know.

Mahwish

frank1 GMAT Destroyer! Default Avatar
Posted:
537 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Post Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:29 pm
is it true that there are only 3500 words that need to be learned for GRE verbal?
I am very good at remembering the things lol....i think i can remember a whole book...so seems like GRE will be easier...
is it my wrong assumption?

i have been preparing for GMAT and problem with that i guess is question is asked from anywhere...any thing under the sun...sometime from above the sun as well (physics passages....)

Best Conversation Starters

1 abhasjha 41 topics
2 shibsriz@gmail.com 32 topics
3 phanikpk 19 topics
4 prernamalhotra 13 topics
5 qwerty12321 11 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

174 posts
2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow