GMAT or GRE - Please help me decide

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

GMAT or GRE - Please help me decide

by viny » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:39 pm
The college i wish to apply accepts both the scores and now i need to choose the one which i should be good at. A little background about me and my experience with both the tests.

1. GMAT - Familiar with test pattern , Started studying it an year and half ago and worked on it for a month . Wrote only one full length test and got 550. ( i was able to solve the questions but did not complete the exam . Completed like 20 Questions in each section and guessed the rest . When i use to solve without the timer i was able to get answers right )
2 - GRE - My vocab is horrible since i am not a native speaker and i dont read books / newspapers . Did not prepare it before

Now in order to decide i gave diagnostic test of barrons for both gre and gmat and got the following scores

GMAT - 550 ( MATH - 34-36 , VERBAL - 4-5 )
GRE - Quant ( 149-155) and verbal ( 143-149 )

All my friends who gave both or gave GRE tell me it is way easier than gmat if i by heart the vocab and the word list i can improve and get around 320. They say it is easier to get 320 in GRE than 680 in gmat.

Please advise which test should i take and would be suitable for me.
In love with "beatthegmat",I do not need any coaching I get all my doubt solved here on this 1 place...:) thanks to all the experts!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:02 pm
Hi viny,

There are a number of questions that you need to answer before you make this decision:

1) The two scores that you referenced (320 GRE and 680 GMAT) - are these your goal scores?
2) Are you thinking about applying to any OTHER schools? If so, then do those schools accept the GRE?
3) If you seeking a scholarship, then which test does the scholarship require?

In real basic terms, the GRE Quant is easier than the GMAT Quant, but you'll have less time (on average) to answer each question. On the GRE, you DO have the opportunity to jump past questions and come back to answer them later though. The Verbal section of the GRE emphasizes vocabulary knowledge and "context" (knowing when to use a particular vocabulary word), while the GMAT emphasizes Grammar/Style.

Since you've now seen both exams, which one do YOU think you're more comfortable taking?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by viny » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:32 am
Yes they are the target scores.

I am not able to make a choice that is it easier to work on vocab for the GRE or for Grammar in the GMAT.

Is it possible to go from 550-680 in the gmat or easier to go from 290-320 on the GRE.
In love with "beatthegmat",I do not need any coaching I get all my doubt solved here on this 1 place...:) thanks to all the experts!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:29 am
Hi viny,

There's no way for me to know which Test you'll find "easier", but side-by-side, you'd probably find the GRE Quant to be easier than GMAT Quant. In theory, this means that you could find most of your "missing points" in the Quant section and then you would not need to improve your Verbal score as much to hit your score goal.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:05 pm
"Hi,

GRE and GMAT are two separate exams meant for their own specific purposes.

It is safe to assume that you are not applying to just one school. This assumption makes things easier for us. Just figure out which scores does other schools accept and you can take the respective test.

If however you are applying to only one school or only those schools which accept both GRE and GMAT, it does not really matter much in the long run which exam you appear for. Both have their own set of challenges and need to handled in their own way.

Take one mock test for both the exams. This will help you familiarise with their test patterns and help you figure out your strong and weak points for both the exams. This will easily help you understand where you enjoy a better comfort level.

Hope this helps. If you have any further queries, please do let us know and we would be happy to help.

www.manyagroup.com "