GMAT- Need your Guidance

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

GMAT- Need your Guidance

by Abhijit K » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:27 pm
The following appeared as part of an article reviewing summer camps for children.
Parents, if you need a summer camp for your children look no further than Federville Farms. In a recent survey, Federville Farms ranked first in both overall camper satisfaction and in food quality, and second in the variety of outdoor activities. Federville Farms has been family owned and operated for over forty years, so you have nothing to worry about when it comes to your child's safety, and it employs more Red Cross certified lifeguards than any other camp in the state. If you seek the best camp experience for your children, Federville Farms is the best choice you can make.
Discuss how well reasoned you find this argument. In your discussion be sure to analyze the line of reasoning and the use of evidence in the argument. For example, you may need to consider what questionable assumptions underlie the thinking and what alternative explanations or counterexamples might weaken the conclusion. You can also discuss what sort of evidence would strengthen or refute the argument, what changes in the argument would make it more logically sound, and what, if anything, would help you better evaluate its conclusion.

In the given argument the author contends that Federville Farms is the best summer camp for children as it serves good food quality, provides good safety and is ranked first as far as camper satisfaction is concerned. However, the authors' argument is flawed as he does not provide reliable assurance to support his claims and makes unjustified assumptions.

The first assumption made by the author is that because Federville Farms is ranked first in both camper satisfaction and in food quality it is the best summer camp for children. However there may be a case where Federville has an adult customer base and hence gets its first ranking. The author needs to validate whether it ranks first among children in case of camper satisfaction and food quality.

The second assumption made by the author here is that he assumes that a history of forty years assumes good safety for children. Just being in the market for forty years does not provide any guarantee for the safety of children. The author needs to validate this claim by providing statistics regarding safety of campers during camping. For example, if Federville has a very low, say 1 in 100 injuries among campers, then we can say that Federville is assures safety of campers.

The third assumption made by the author is that because Federville employs the largest number of Red Cross Certified Lifeguards it is the best for the safety of children. However, there may be case where Federville needs to employ a large number of Red Cross Certified Lifeguards because there are too many injuries to the campers at Federville which requires attention from the Red Cross Lifeguards. This would rather signify a lack of safety at Federville.

Authors' argument is flawed as he does not provide proper justifications for claims made by him about safety, food quality and number one in customer satisfaction at Federville for children. The author should provide some statistics for customer satisfaction among children and safety of campers to prove his argument. Hence, I conclude that the authors argument is flawed on account of faulty reasoning and unjustified assumptions.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Followed by:26 members

by Katharine@GMATPrepNow » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:47 pm
Hello Abhijit,

Make sure to use official GMAT AWA prompts when you're preparing. I didn't see this essay topic on the official list, but I could have missed it. Check the GMAT website for official prompts.

Writing: The writing has improved from your previous two essays, but there are still issues with apostrophe use. Note that "authors' argument" means the argument of more than one author, but you mean "author's argument" because you're discussing the author of the prompt's argument. Otherwise there weren't major writing issues.

Structure: Your intro and conclusion have improved from the previous two essays. The three body paragraphs all made sense and clearly showed the flaws that you chose to address.

Arguments/Examples: I thought that all three of your body paragraphs showed believable flaws in the prompt's argument. You have gotten better at pulling out important information and addressing it in your paragraphs. You could have spent a little more time on suggestions to improve the author's argument.

Suggestions for Improvement: You've made clear progress by doing these three essays, and I'd put this response in the 5-5.5 range. Points were lost for writing issues. At this stage, I'd suggest studying other material for the GMAT, because you know how to structure and write the AWAs.
Katharine Rudzitis - BA
on hiatus until further notice
We have plans to suit every learning style and budget:
- Self-directed video course
- Private online tutoring from 99th-percentile experts
- Combination packages with video course & private tutoring
- Every plan includes 5 full-length practice tests
- Use our video course with Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide
- We have dozens of free videos to try out before buying

Followed by:4 members

by Abhijit K » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:35 am
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your reviews.

I am still confused on the appropriate uses of apostrophe.

Can you please throw some light on apostrophe use?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Followed by:26 members

by Katharine@GMATPrepNow » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:54 am
Hello Abhijit,

I noticed two types of errors with apostrophes in your responses: failing to include one ("authors" when instead you meant "author's") or putting the apostrophe in the wrong place ("authors' " when you meant "author's"). Both of these errors can be fixed if you review apostrophe rules.

In both cases you're using an apostrophe to show possession: you're talking about the argument that belongs to the author of the essay prompt. Similarly, I would say "Katharine's blog post" to talk about this post that I've written, or "Abhijit's response" to refer to your essay, or the "student's practice test" to talk about a person's exam. When you discuss the author who wrote the essay question, you'll mention the author's argument, the author's tone, flaws in the author's reasoning, etc.

The second error you make ("authors' " vs "author's") is related to singular/plural forms. If you talk about ONE author and his or her argument, you mean the "author's argument." If several people work together to write something, they are all authors: since there is MORE THAN ONE person writing, we'd say the "authors' argument." Since there is ONE author for the essay prompt, you should stick with "author's argument."

There are plenty of other apostrophe rules, but no other apostrophe mistakes in your essays. If you don't feel comfortable using apostrophes, you can rephrase the sentences: "the author's argument" could become "the author argues that..." and "author's flaws" could be "the reasoning used by the author is flawed," or something similar. In this essay you wrote https://www.beatthegmat.com/please-rate- ... 82090.html there weren't any apostrophe issues, so look at it for inspiration.

I hope this helps.
Katharine Rudzitis - BA
on hiatus until further notice
We have plans to suit every learning style and budget:
- Self-directed video course
- Private online tutoring from 99th-percentile experts
- Combination packages with video course & private tutoring
- Every plan includes 5 full-length practice tests
- Use our video course with Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide
- We have dozens of free videos to try out before buying