confused13 Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
97 messages
Followed by:
2 members
Post Fri May 30, 2014 11:02 pm
Hi Josh,

congratulations on your score.
Do you recommend to use the MGMAT SC book and empower gmat? I mean in combination or is the empowergmat course sufficient here? I have both, but I find the SC book a bit too much.

Thanks,

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
RiyaR Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
98 messages
Followed by:
2 members
Post Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:50 pm
Hey Josh... Congrats on your score!! Its amazing!! The thing is im planning to give my gmat in Sept-Oct, il be starting now. I have put in about a month or two earlier in the year. The question I have is, whether its advisable to quit my job now? Did you do that before your gmat?

jaybtg Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
7 messages
Followed by:
4 members
Post Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:54 pm
Hello Josh,

Your story is so inspiring. I found many really successful people like you use various resources to study. Is there a best order for using them (books then class or class then books, etc.)?

Thanks, Jay

andymal Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
22 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Target GMAT Score:
Post Tue May 05, 2015 7:52 pm
Wow dude! You really did kill it! This is my favorite post so far in the beat the GMAT forum. Such a great story.

I'm almost two months in to my prep so far, and I'm a little nervous about blowing the GMAT Prep tests from the GMAC website. Do either you, if you're still around, or anyone else have some advice on to when to use those tests?

I'm also willing to buy some of the extra tests, paper tests, etc. Thanks.

Post Wed May 06, 2015 1:32 pm
Hi andymal,

GMAC offers 4 CATs (2 for free and 2 more that you can purchase). They're arguably the most realistic CATs available, but that doesn't mean that you have to be overly protective about when you take them. There are plenty of additional, reputable CATs that you can get from Kaplan, MGMAT and Veritas.

It's worth noting that the accuracy of a CAT result is dependent on how realistically YOU take the CAT. This means that you should do everything in your power to make the CAT "event" match up with Test Day in as many ways as you can, including taking the FULL CAT (Essay and IR sections too), at the same time of day as your real GMAT, away from your home, in a test-like environment, etc. The more your CATs deviate from the Full GMAT, the more likely your scores are to be "off" (and often "inflated").

So at the very least, you should use the 2 free CATs and you might want to save one until the end of your studies (when you're closer to Test Day).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Posted:
22 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Target GMAT Score:
Post Wed May 06, 2015 7:06 pm
Thanks Rich! Two questions for you if you don't mind. How often do you recommend taking CATs? Also, what do you think of the GMAC paper tests? Are they any good?

Post Wed May 06, 2015 7:49 pm
Hi andymal,

I generally recommend that Test Takers start off their studies with a FULL CAT early on. Afterwards, you should plan on taking 1 FULL CAT every 1-2 weeks; as you get closer to Test Day, you should plan on 1 CAT per week. The bulk of your study time should be spent on lessons, practice problems, quizzes, review, etc.

Opinions vary on the GMAC paper Tests. I think that they're useful study material, but NO pencil-and-paper Test (not even GMAC's) can properly match the experience that you'll face on Test Day, so I wouldn't use them for a score assessment.

Rich

Posted:
22 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Target GMAT Score:
Post Sun May 10, 2015 11:00 am
Hi Rich,

Thanks for getting back to me. What I was planning to do with the paper tests is do them on the computer screen since they're PDFs because I totally agree that doing them on paper would be really different from the real thing. What do you think? Also, do you have any information about how the scores of the paper tests compare with other tests?

Post Sun May 10, 2015 2:00 pm
Hi andymal,

While using the PDFs on a computer is slightly more realistic than using them in pencil-and-paper format, they're still NOT a great substitute for a FULL-LENGTH adaptive CAT (as far as receiving a realistic score is concerned). The Paper Tests do not adapt, do not require the same physical "mechanics" to complete and likely will not match the frequency and ratios of questions that you'll see on Test Day. I mentioned before that they're nice sources for practice questions, but if you're looking for a realistic score assessment that will help you to properly train for the Official GMAT, then these are not the resources that you need.

Rich

Posted:
22 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Target GMAT Score:
Post Mon May 11, 2015 9:10 am
Can I also ask for your opinion about these cats?

GMAT prep pack 1 - http://www.mba.com/us/store/store-catalog/gmat-preparation/gmatprep-exam-pack-1.aspx

Kaplan Premier. It says this book comes with 6 tests. Are they reliable? http://www.amazon.com/Kaplan-GMAT-Premier-Practice-Tests/dp/1618656651

erumsayyar Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
5 messages
Post Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:21 am
@joshcollins why did you dump 4 questions of the exam? Doesn't that lower your total score? How did you get to know which questions you were supposed to dump from the quant. & verbal sections of the exam? Moreover, u're saying that the quant. section is not a math test whereas the verbal section is not a vocabulary test?! Then what do these sections actually measure? I also heard that you need to get 60% of the questions in this exam right. Is this true?

Plus could you please tell how to prepare for the RC & CR parts of the verbal section of the exam and How should one prepare for the DS part of the quant. section of the exam? How much time is sufficient to prepare for this exam effectively? I wasn't able to score well on my first attempt. I would be grateful if u'd reply to my post.

Best Conversation Starters

1 Vincen 180 topics
2 lheiannie07 65 topics
3 Roland2rule 49 topics
4 ardz24 44 topics
5 LUANDATO 23 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

147 posts
2 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

103 posts
3 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

102 posts
4 image description EconomistGMATTutor

The Economist GMAT Tutor

94 posts
5 image description DavidG@VeritasPrep

Veritas Prep

76 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts