GMAT is a scam

Let's talk about...whatever!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by awdrifter » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:42 pm
After taking the test, I kind of agree with the OP. But I guess you just have to play by their rules and find the tricks.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by edvhou812 » Sun May 06, 2012 5:11 pm
The GMAT is an industry. Between the publications, the prep classes, the tutors, all the way to the ad space sold on this very website, the GMAT simply makes people money. I'm sure there are great people that really want to help others in this industry, but in the end it is still an industry.

And why put us through ringer if we have earned a 4-year college degree and have work experience? If we all have proven that we can finish college and find and keep jobs in today's world, do we really need to spend a year mastering a standardized test? Believe me, I know how to write an email and work an algebra problem. Perhaps I need a calculator or Excel to figure out how many ways I can arrange Franky, Tony, Dino, Hugh, and The Solution in a line, but guess what is available to me in the workplace?

I'll refrain from stating everything that I think about the GMAT, but it seems like a lot of good people are wasting a lot of time and money on that test.
I don't know what to say, really. Three minutes to the biggest battle of our professional lives. You find out life's this game of inches, so is football. Because in either game - life or football - the margin for error is so small. I mean, one half a step too late or too early and you don't quite make it. One half second too slow, too fast and you don't quite catch it. I'll tell you this, in any fight it's the guy whose willing to die whose gonna win that inch. That's football guys, that's all it is. Now, what are you gonna do?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:52 pm
Yep, it's certainly tough. But obviously it's for a reason. Try not to get too discouraged and realize it's a marathon not a sprint. Change up the way you are studying. Change the tools you are using for studying. Try taking a break for a week and then come back to it all with fresh eyes. Do something good for yourself to recharge your batteries.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by PerGadhi » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:02 am
I just don't like how you are labeled stupid if you cant get a 500. If someone wants to go to school they should be able to.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:03 pm
Hi PerGadhi,

Some people are just not great Standardized Test Takers (and scoring below a 500 does NOT mean that anyone is 'stupid'). This is one of the reasons why there are several 'pieces' to the application process (and not just the GMAT).

There are also plenty of Business Schools that can be applied to, so there are always options regardless of one's GMAT score. Since the higher-ranked Schools/Programs receive lots of applications, there has to be a relatively easy, academic way to compare applicants though and the GMAT helps to serve that purpose.

If you find that you cannot score above a certain level, it's worth noting that there are lots of different ways to improve your performance - but YOU have to be active about training and flexible enough to learn concepts and tactics that you might not currently be an expert on.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]