GMAT in three days - Need Verbal crash course. Help!!!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

Quick background -

I took the test first five years ago (just like that (= without stress), without much studying). Scored 730 (Q48, V42). The score is expiring, so I need to take it again since I'll be applying this year and I'm freaking out!

I've been focussing on math, but turns out that somewhere, somehow, my verbal abilities have take a hit.

Practice tests (over the last one month):
GMAT Prep 1 - 740 (Q 49, V 42)
MGMAT 1 - 5 All in the range of 640-680 (Q 45, V 37)
GMAT Prep 2 (today) - 740 (Q 50, V 40)

My target score is in the range of 730 - 770. Problem is that I haven't studied ANY verbal and have been focussing on quant. I feel like at this point, I will need to study on verbal to get that last push on my score, but my GMAT is only THREE DAYS away!

Could someone please recommend any quick Verbal strategies/ tips to help/ any post that'll help? I also have OG 13 and the Manhattan guides and obviously the internet.

Thanks A TON in advance <3

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:43 am
Hellooooo. While I can understand why you would want to just get the test taken care of this time, unless you will be dead flat broke after taking it, you can sign up and take it again in a few weeks.

Still, here are some posts that I have written on increasing one's GMAT verbal score. Might as well seek to get it done.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/how-do-i-mas ... 88121.html

https://infinitemindprep.com/on-the-gmat ... ogic-rule/

https://www.beatthegmat.com/how-to-bette ... tml#763603

https://www.beatthegmat.com/struggling-w ... tml#759742

https://www.beatthegmat.com/an-alternati ... tml#739859

In the last post, I mentioned determination. I have found that sheer determination to not get tricked and to get the right answers can make a big difference in one's performance on GMAT verbal. I think that in three days you can make some nice progress. You mostly just have to get better at seeing what you have to see.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:40 am
Hi anathagenzum,

With a Verbal score in the high-30s or 40s, you don't have a big 'weak spot' in that section, so to pick up points there you really have to nitpick WHY you're getting questions wrong. You're likely missing points on some rarer question types, subtle wrong answers and rarer idiom/style rules in SCs.

Since you're so close to Test Day, you might be tempted to try to 'cram' in a lot of work in these last few days, but you really should NOT (and you shouldn't take any more CATs either). You'll be better served by sticking to some light review and getting some extra rest. You'll perform better on Test Day if you're calm and not overly fatigued from doing too much.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:37 pm
My take: go through your practice tests and look for two concrete things you can improve on, no more. Maybe you get too focused on grammar in Sentence Correction and you need to remember to read the entire sentence and make sure it makes logical sense before you select it. Maybe you occasionally forget to check on modifier placement, etc. Maybe in RC, you occasionally select an answer before finding textual evidence to support it. Once you find those two things, you're done. And then, as Marty said, make sure you stay locked in on test day. Sometimes the additional adrenaline serves to heighten our focus.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by anathagenzum » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 am
DavidG@VeritasPrep wrote:My take: go through your practice tests and look for two concrete things you can improve on, no more. Maybe you get too focused on grammar in Sentence Correction and you need to remember to read the entire sentence and make sure it makes logical sense before you select it. Maybe you occasionally forget to check on modifier placement, etc. Maybe in RC, you occasionally select an answer before finding textual evidence to support it. Once you find those two things, you're done. And then, as Marty said, make sure you stay locked in on test day. Sometimes the additional adrenaline serves to heighten our focus.
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the advice. It makes sense! I agree that SC is an area I can gain some ground in quickly. I tried going through my CATs, but they were pretty spread out in terms of errors. So, I guess my specific question is which are the 2-3 SC aspects you think I should focus on or rather, which are the 2-3 that tend to get tested the most/tend to have highest error rates?

Thanks in advance!

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:21 am
anathagenzum wrote:
DavidG@VeritasPrep wrote:My take: go through your practice tests and look for two concrete things you can improve on, no more. Maybe you get too focused on grammar in Sentence Correction and you need to remember to read the entire sentence and make sure it makes logical sense before you select it. Maybe you occasionally forget to check on modifier placement, etc. Maybe in RC, you occasionally select an answer before finding textual evidence to support it. Once you find those two things, you're done. And then, as Marty said, make sure you stay locked in on test day. Sometimes the additional adrenaline serves to heighten our focus.
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the advice. It makes sense! I agree that SC is an area I can gain some ground in quickly. I tried going through my CATs, but they were pretty spread out in terms of errors. So, I guess my specific question is which are the 2-3 SC aspects you think I should focus on or rather, which are the 2-3 that tend to get tested the most/tend to have highest error rates?

Thanks in advance!
My sense is that the three most common SC issues my students have are:

1) Logic/meaning: The correct answer must be logical if read literally, so be careful about selecting something that is grammatically correct but logically incoherent
2) Placement of modifiers: a modifier should generally be as close as possible to the thing it modifies
3) Parallel construction: recognize the classic parallel markers (both x and y, not only x but also y, etc.)
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course