GMAT importance in Application process

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT importance in Application process

by sameersingh » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:51 am
How much importance does top B-schools like Harvard and Stanford give to GMAT. Does having a high GMAT score helps in application process?
Will really appreciate advice on the topic.

Regards
Sameer Singh

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:45 am
sameersingh wrote:How much importance does top B-schools like Harvard and Stanford give to GMAT. Does having a high GMAT score helps in application process?

Regards
Sameer Singh
See here for a nice primer on which schools place the most weight on the GMAT: https://poetsandquants.com/2015/08/03/bu ... cisions/2/
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by [email protected] » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:44 pm
Hi there,
GMAT score plays crucial role in MBA application process but it doesn't mean that a high score can guarantee your admission. If you have a work experience, good GPA, resume and recommendations, you have a good shot. But keep that in mind if you want to be in the safe zone, your score should be 720+.
If you need further assessment, please don't hesitate to sign up for a FREE consultation.
Best,
As GM of MBAitNow I make sure that every client receives the attention they deserve and experience our well-structured approach and process that ensures that they will have the best chances to get accepted at their dream schools.

My team and I had placed clients at MBA programs such as, HBS, SLOAN, ANDERSON, STERN, WHARTON, BOOTH, KELLOGG, HAAS, DARDEN, FUQUA, ROSS, etc.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Alok » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:21 am
GMAT score importance is like any other single element in the overall admission process. Sure a high GMAT score will make your application standout but it does not guarantee admission. A person with a GMAT score of 600 can be admitted if other parts of his application is very attractive and someone with a very high score of 700+ will be rejected if other parts of his application is below average. Top B-schools examine GMAT score in the context of the whole application process. But its better to have a good GMAT score as it will only improve your chances of the acceptance like any other element in the application.

Go through these blogs so that you will get an idea.
[/url]https://goo.gl/8KxX5A Build your profile for MBA application
[url]https://goo.gl/l44m3W How to ace GMAT.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:03 pm
sameersingh wrote:How much importance does top B-schools like Harvard and Stanford give to GMAT. Does having a high GMAT score helps in application process?

Regards
Sameer Singh
Hi @sameer- thanks for your question. The short answer is the most selective schools can be the most selective on everything- including GMAT. But a high GMAT is not enough for acceptance to Harvard and Stanford. So I'd give the GMAT your best shot- then aim to apply from your competitive pool to schools where your GMAT is at least 10-20 pts above the average, then go deep into knowing why this school is a great fit for you. There are no shortcuts here- talk to students, visit the campus or go to local events with admissions reps or do online webinars- but reach out in some way to do the research you need. Doing this sets you apart and gives you more compelling answers to the question of why this school is right for you. So I would spend my time on what I can control-- doing the above-- and not too much worrying about how much weight is given to the GMAT. Of course- you can control study for the GMAT so do enough to do your very best and then at some point you move forward with the application.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michelle@ARINGO » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:54 pm
The leading programs normally accept candidates with varying GMAT scores. The score difference between two accepted candidates could go beyond 140 points. For example, every year, schools like Harvard, Wharton and Columbia accept candidates with a GMAT score of 620 while rejecting, despite the high score, candidates with a GMAT score of 760 and above.
You can get into top MBA programs with a low GMAT score (take a look at ARINGO client GMAT scores here). Your GMAT score gives schools information about your analytical abilities, a key admission driver. In order to gain acceptance in spite of a low GMAT score, your application needs to highlight your analytical achievements.