Gmat Exam center in Pune

Let's talk about...whatever!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Gmat Exam center in Pune

by bunty » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:23 am
Hi can anybody plz tell me how is the new Gmat Exam center in Pune ?????

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:580

by beat_gmat_09 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:00 am
bunty wrote:Hi can anybody plz tell me how is the new Gmat Exam center in Pune ?????
It is at Range hills road, near E-Square, you can check the detailed address on mba.com

BTW has anyone taken the GMAT recently at GATS center in Pune ? Want to know how the GATS center is as there was lot of mismanagement at meritrac center in Pune.

by nancy_86 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:49 am
Hii all...

Can anyone tell me how's the new GATS centre at pune??? any mismanagement or slow server issue being faced in recent times!!! Pl suggest whether I should go for scheduling the exam @ pune!!

Cheers

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:740

by ankitasrivastava » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:36 am
Not sure if this thread is still active.... I took my GMAT exam yesterday at the GATS center in Pune. Here are my thoughts about the managment at the center....

My GMAT appointment was scheduled on 10th Aug 2010 at 2:00 PM. I reached the GATS center by 1:20 PM. I was not sure of its location, so had visited the center a day before. It's near E square, opposite Symphony hotel. It's a quite and a pleasant area. So that was some relief.

The management at the center is okay. Although they could do with a bigger center, still it serves its purpose well. There were four other people slated to take GMAT in the 2 PM slot. So in that respect, its not crowded. Five people can take the test in one cubicle. The cubicle is soundproof. The staff at the center is pleasant and helpful. They are quite patient too. (I got my digital signature wrong ten times, and the guy managed to smile and repeat the instruction each time :D)

Although while I was taking the test, some technical glitch happened and my system lost connection with the server. I got a weird message on the system stating that all test data is lost etc. etc.... God, It happened when 54 minutes in verbal section were left and I was not ready to go through the ordeal again. (Math was on the tougher side for me). It took them 2-3 minutes to correct the fault, and to my relief the test started from the point where it had ended.

Later I came to know that such faults are very rare and they have a recovery process in place. So it was all good.

That was all about the Pune Gats center. Those of you who do not know where it is and have a test scheduled there, I'd advise to visit the center a day before. Oh and by the way, you will be required to take a photo copy of your Passport. They do not have copier facility. So carrying a copy beforehand might save the hazzle later.

My GMAT score -

Quant: 51
Verbal: 39
Total : 740

by nancy_86 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:12 am
Dear Ankita,

Thanks a lot for giving a nice feedback..
Gud that in spite of all glitch, u managed to maintain ur cool and suceeded with a gr8 score...
All d best to u...
Btw can you mention which all universities u had given in option b4 startng wid the test??

Can u guide me giving some tips regarding prep materials / mock tests to score 700+ ?

Cheers,
Nancy

by ankitasrivastava » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:56 am
Hey Nancy....

My preparation mostly revolved around verbal. I was especially scared of RC, and I must admit that even while preparing I didn't spend enough time on practicing more RC questions. You can learn from my mistake :). The next troublers were the SCs. CR and Math were my stronger areas.

In my experience, GMAT Math is tricky in that it requires you to constantly be alert about the current question and not be influenced by the past few questions. That is, if we keep getting easy questions, it's quite probable that our mind goes into the "easy paper" mode.... for all you know, the next might be very tricky. The reason I am saying so is, during practice sectional tests, I would often become complacent, and end up doing extremely silly mistakes. Such mistakes only got my morale down. So I would suggest treating GMAT math more as a Mental challenge. In the long run, I believe, two strategies work effectively - Know the concepts well and be super alert.

For Verbal I tried to focus on all three areas a lottt. I have been employed for the past three years and was therefore out of touch with the nuances of the subject (was busy writing programs :D). RCs were a major challenge for me. I am pretty bad at RCs on economics or sociology. I tried improving my comprehension, but I had very less time. I prepared only for two months. Taking GMAT was an impulsive decision. So I focussed more on CR and SCs. At the start of my preparation, I used to rely on "sounds good" funda a little too much. But as I prepared more and more, and got acquainted with all the modifiers, participles, adverbial modifiers, Verbs, tenses, moods, diction etc, I starting getting hold of SC much better. If I chose an option, I knew why all the other 4 were wrong. This gave me a lot of confidence. (My friends might soon disown me... lols... I pick on them too much these days for wrong usage hahaha :D)
I found Manhattan GMAT's and Kaplan's Verbal questions quite close to my actual GMAT. I cannot say for sure about the others since I didn't try any of those.

Books and Other Material :

-> Manhattan SC Guide
-> Powerscore GMAT Critical Reasoning Bible. (100 mars to the book. I strongly recommend it)
-> OG 10, 11,12
-> Old GMAT Test Papers.
-> Career Launcher's Maths material for CAT (Our very own "Common Aptitude Test". This can be substituted by any other CAT prep material. Just referred to the Concepts and solved easier questions)
-> beatthegmat's free resources. And those numerous posts I went through for researching the answers.

Tests:

-> Kaplan's Higher score On the GMAT (Took 4 tests, score ranging from 590 to 670)
-> Score800's 8 sectional and 4 Full length tests. (score ranging from 610 - 800)
-> GMAT Powerprep (although I got a lot of questions repeated from the OG, still it was good to get acquainted with the actual screens that appear on the GMAT)
-> Manhattan's free online CAT (620 or 630, don't remember)

AWA :

I don't have my AWA score out yet. For AWA I referred to 800Score AWA. You can also get a lot of material and good sample essays here on beatthegmat.

-----------------------------------------------------------
If I were to take GMAT again, I would work on my Reading comprehension, Take more Full length tests and most importantly, would work on my stamina........ You see, I hate to exercise, let alone work my self out :) While I was doing the verbal section, there was this throbbing pain in my head, that just won't go. Questions were seeming hazy. In the same section, I found my mind drifting from the question 2-3 times. If you still have time for the GMAT, try to increase your mental strength and take as many prac tests as you can. If you don't, do not worry... I feel, GMAT is a more a test of our mental strength and determination. Battle your fears out, know your weak point, work em and make staying alert a habit!!

Let me know if you need specifics/clarifications regarding any point in the post above. I'll be glad to help.

Good Luck for your exam!!

by deepakb » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:08 pm
Congrats Ankita. Thanks a lot for sharing.

The study material that you mentioned was enough or did you join some classes or other online tests?
There is so much material available sometimes i get confused how much to study?I even dont understand how to evaluate my progress?
So far I have studies OG10,11 and 12. Manhattan for SC. Bible for CR(really a great book). and Kaplan including 800.I got 640 on GMAT Prep test and planning to take GMAT in the mid of Oct.
Please guide me how should i go about my further preparations. And also what about AWA.
And how do you study like by taking two months off or how?

I know these are too many questions, please take out some time and guide me.
Thanks.

[/u]

by ankitasrivastava » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:13 am
Hello Deepak,

I was keeping busy for the past few days and hence this delay. Here are my responses-

Q) The study material that you mentioned was enough or did you join some classes or other online tests?
A) Yes, the material/tests that I mentioned in the previous posts, were enough. But I had undergone a rigorous preparation for our CAT (Common Admission Test) in 2007-07. So Math was not a problem area. I would suggest, you take a few tests, assess yourself and pin point your weak areas. Classes will help you get individual attention on problems, if that is what you require for your preparation.

Q) There is so much material available sometimes i get confused how much to study?I even dont understand how to evaluate my progress?
A) Agreed, the material on the web is plenty. And we want to read all of it. But trust me, going through all the material in least possible time will only reduce your focus. Instead, go for some material that is closest to GMAT. The ones I have mentioned in older post, are good enough, atleast for solidifying concepts. Once done with the concepts, you can explore more, refer questions from rest of the material and solve them. Make good use of Google and beatthegmat.com. They give you almost all the answers with explanations from experts. And if an answer to a question was not found, maybe the question isn't good enough for practicing.

Q) So far I have studies OG10,11 and 12. Manhattan for SC. Bible for CR(really a great book). and Kaplan including 800. I got 640 on GMAT Prep test and planning to take GMAT in the mid of Oct. Please guide me how should i go about my further preparations
R) You are in the right direction for concept building. You still have lot of time. (In case you are employed, you might consider taking some time off. I was on a sabbatical for two months). I made notes of the key concepts, and kept reading them every 4-5 days. At this point of time in your prep, Practice should be your mantra. Solve as many problems you can and check out their explanations. And do not forget to read the wrong options too later on. By doing so, you'll train your brain to get acquainted with some of the lucrative ways in which wrong answers are set on the GMAT. 640 in GMAT prep is not that bad. You can improve. The first test I took, after whole lot of prep, problem solving etc, I ended up getting a mere 580 in Kaplan's Higher score on the GMAT. The key is to take GMAT as also a test of your mental strength and never say die attitude.

Q) And also what about AWA.
A) About AWA, I found a great link here on beatthegmat.com. And that is all I did for AWA. I ended up getting a 6.0 AWA score. My responses reflected very basic common sense ideas and no fancy stuff. Although I made sure that I wrote 5 paragraphs with 4-5 short sentences written in active voice, no jargon (I can write only plain simple english), no spelling mistakes and no grammatical mistakes. Because I didn't rake my brain a lot to write revolutionary stuff and wrote simple ideas, I got time for presenting them well. I also got 6-7 mins for proofreading my responses and that really helped. I wasn't all that into General Knowledge and World news at that time, so I chose to write citing my everyday on the job experiences. I had come across some totally unwritable-in-30-mins essays in a lot of reputable GMAT prep books, so I was worrying maybe my AWA will remain low. But that didn't happen. According to me, AWA is a test of how well you present/defend/critique an argument or an idea. You might want to double check this with experts.

Here's the link I talked about -
https://www.beatthegmat.com/argument-ess ... 38032.html

Q) how do you study like by taking two months off or how?
A) Yes, I took a sabbatical for three months from my job, prepared two months and 10 days for GMAT, and the rest 20 were for writing applications. My job entails heavy programming and client support work, which was leaving me no time to prepare at all. Hence the sabbatical.

Hope that helps. Feel free to direct any query. I might be late sometimes, but I'll respond.
Good luck!!

Ankita Srivastava
https://espiegle-brunette.blocked/

by deepakb » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:16 pm
Thank you very much Ankita. That was really great.
I am finding your suggestion more helpful than from my class.

Yes, i had joined a class inthe past. It helped me a little for math.
I have taken off for two months to study for exam.
But i guess my problem is Verbal not math.

Distribution of my score was - I got 23 correct in verbal and 33 correct in quant.
640 (V-35, Q-46)
I finished quant in 55 minutes and barely managed to finish the verbal.
Earlier my weak point was RC but now i am not doing good in CR and SC. I get a little nervous when i write exam and my mind diverts. Can you suggest me how to improve my CR( especially assumption questions) and SC(especially idioms)

I have joined some private classes to improve my writing.How much words need to be writen for AWA essay.

Below I have posted my AWA if possible plz go through it and guide.

"The best strategy for managing a business or any enterprise is to find the most capable people and give them as much authority as possible"
Discuss the extent to which blablabla...........

Reply -
As businesses are growing bigger every day, managers are trying to figure out innovative ways to manage businesses. The strategy stated in the quotation above is good but definitely not the best strategy. Following paragraphs will highlights merits and demerits of the strategy stated above.
There is no doubt that managing a business or enterprise needs most capable people. If enterprise gives them maximum authority, these capable people will give best of them. These people will perform because the trust a business shown in them. Authority will help employees to use the resources for the best of the business. Former GE CEO Jack Welch had used this model to increase GE's revenue and profit many fold.
Too much of authority is liable to abuse. Employees can use this unquestioned authority to exploit the resources for their own advantage. Exploitation of authority can cost an enterprise very dearly. Recent sub-prime crisis in the US and Europe has proved this. CEO's, department head, VPs were given unlimited power. Authorities used by these people initially helped the organizations. Later on excess of authority led to move the control out of top management. Some executive with high authorities at the auto company bet billions of dollars on currency future without the knowledge of CEO and made billions of losses.
There is need to balance the authority given to the capable people. So, they will not use the authority for the detriment of the organization. The organization need to make sure that these people have enough power to let them perform well. But at the same time need to make sure that they don't abide by the rule of the organization and rules of law.

Thank you very much.

by ankitasrivastava » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:28 am
deepakb wrote:Thank you very much Ankita. That was really great.
I am finding your suggestion more helpful than from my class.

Yes, i had joined a class inthe past. It helped me a little for math.
I have taken off for two months to study for exam.
But i guess my problem is Verbal not math.

Distribution of my score was - I got 23 correct in verbal and 33 correct in quant.
640 (V-35, Q-46)
I finished quant in 55 minutes and barely managed to finish the verbal.
Earlier my weak point was RC but now i am not doing good in CR and SC. I get a little nervous when i write exam and my mind diverts. Can you suggest me how to improve my CR( especially assumption questions) and SC(especially idioms)
There is one shortcut to doing good in Idioms -> Learning the maximum that you can. Go through all the lists that you can lay your hands on. If you are short of time try googling 'Most common Idioms on the GMAT" and I am sure you will land on some good lists. As for CR, I found GMAT powerscore bible more than sufficient. Carefully read the chapters, especially the starting one's, and then once in 2-3 days just go through the summary that is mentioned at the end of each Chapter. This worked for me. See if it works for you as well. The key is, when you read the answer explanation of a CR question that had gone wrong, and you can decipher the solution, you know you can improve. Because then the real problem lies with concentration and that is why with comprehension. Cause and effect you see. The same holds true of SC.

At this point of time, pay extra attention to the wrong answer options. After some practice, you'll see what kind of options are favorite wrong options that the GMAT test creators like to set.

I will review your AWA in a day and reply. I'd suggest start a new topic in the AWA review section of BTG forums so that you can have the benefit of an expert reviewing your AWA.
Ankita

by deepakb » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:36 am
Thank you, Ankita.
I think i am not revising enough and tent to forget simple rules. Revising once in a two-three days his a good idea.
Is the idiom list given in manhattan sc guide is enough? If you can give any tips for RC?

Thanks a ton.
that would be really helpful.

by ankitasrivastava » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:09 am
deepakb wrote:Thank you, Ankita.
I think i am not revising enough and tent to forget simple rules. Revising once in a two-three days his a good idea.
Is the idiom list given in manhattan sc guide is enough? If you can give any tips for RC?

Thanks a ton.
that would be really helpful.
Late answer, but here it is :)

Idioms cannot be enough (Thats what I think). I guess an expert advice here would help you a lot.

About RCs - Practice comprehension as much as you can. Learn from your mistakes. Many people also suggest taking notes while you read. If you can pull that off without hampering your comprehension and within time, I think that'll help too.
Ankita

by deepakb » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:57 am
Thanks for all these suggestions.
I have prepared notes and reading them periodically, it is helping.
Keepiing kool is best way to move ahead in GMAT preparation.

One last thing. As you already written the GMAT can you take time to go thru my essay please and suggest something.

The best strategy for managing a business or any enterprise is to find the most capable people and give them as much authority as possible.
Discuss the extent to which blablabla

Reply -
As businesses are growing bigger every day, managers are trying to figure out innovative ways to manage businesses. The strategy stated in the quotation above is good but definitely not the best strategy. Following paragraphs will highlights merits and demerits of the strategy stated above.
There is no doubt that managing a business or enterprise needs most capable people. If enterprise gives them maximum authority, these capable people will give best of them. These people will perform because the trust a business shown in them. Authority will help employees to use the resources for the best of the business. Former GE CEO Jack Welch had used this model to increase GE's revenue and profit many fold.
Too much of authority is liable to abuse. Employees can use this unquestioned authority to exploit the resources for their own advantage. Exploitation of authority can cost an enterprise very dearly. Recent sub-prime crisis in the US and Europe has proved this. CEOs, department head, VPs were given unlimited power. Authorities used by these people initially helped the organizations. Later on excess of authority led to move the control out of top management. Some executive with high authorities at the auto company bet billions of dollars on currency future without the knowledge of CEO and made billions of losses.
There is need to balance the authority given to the capable people. So, they will not use the authority for the detriment of the organization. The organization need to make sure that these people have enough power to let them perform well. But at the same time need to make sure that they abide by the rule of the organization and rules of law.
[/i]

by seems » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:38 am
Hi all,

the test center has a very nice conduct..
i had appeared to test at this center and got a nice score..
At first the administrator asks you to present the original copy of your passport..
your name should exactly match the name as mentioned on the passport. One can even contact the test center before regestering for the exam to get correct name matchning guidelines.

Secondly they provide lockers to store our valuables but it is adviced not to carry much more baggages and valueables as in anycase they are not accessible to us during the exam period and breaks. The testing area is nice and sound proof, you are provided with marker, booklet and ear plugs.

The test administrator does not permit you to test unless you are carrying your ORIGINAL passport and it is also mentioned in the email which we recieve, so guys please make sure you carry the email print out, the original passport and the photo copy of your passport along with yourself.

i visited the test center 1 day prior to the exam, and you are adviced to reach the center half an hour prior to your exam as there are a few procedures to be followed and the administrator provides you with a demonstration about the exam and the breaks.. so please do attend it..

if you want the test center site map visit https://www.gatsindia.net/html/contact.asp

i hope this information helps you

happy testing :)

by Uttam Kumar » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:17 pm
Thanks Ankita and Seems for providing so much of information.

Please tell us, we are provided laptops or Desktops at the center?

thanks
Uttam