GMAT Attempt 580 - How to improve verbal mainly

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Hi I have appeared for and scored a 580 in December 2013. Now after a year I am back to planning for gmat hence have brushed up with Manhattan foundation for gmat. Also enrolled with 60 days Gmat prep by beat the gmat team. I took Gmatprep Diagnostic and scored 580. OG 2015 Diagnostic Sc-10, Cr12, RC 11. Quant - PS-15, DS-18. I am not performing well on my Sentence correction and frankly haven't even begun the preparing. I need help as to how to go on if I want to reappear for gmat in Sept 2105. Any help. I got a V28 Q30 IR 3 AWA 5.5 . Books arent enough help needed interactive study module. Please help suggestions..

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:16 pm
Hi rommysingh,

With a September Test Date, you have plenty of time to study and improve your scores. I'd like to know a bit more about this CAT score and your plans:

1) What were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on this CAT?
2) What is your score goal?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

Thankfully, Business Schools don't care if you take the GMAT more than once, so doing so will not be an issue. Also, the GMAT is still the same predictable, standardized Test as it was when you last took it, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by rommysingh » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:09 pm
Hi Rich,

1) Scaled Scores - Quant 39, Verbal- 28, Ir -3 and AWA 5.5
2) to be realistic I plan to score a minimum of 650
3)I want to apply to business schools in early October

Thanks for prompt reply!

Rohit

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:17 pm
Hi Rohit,

With a Q39/V28, you have an opportunity to pick up points in BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. With your current scores, you're actually not that far from scoring 650+, but you'll have to learn some new tactics and adjust the way you "see" (and respond to) the GMAT.

Given all of the possible ways for you to increase your score, I recommend that you use the EMPOWERgmat Total Score Booster Study Plan. Most of our clients can complete that Study Plan in under 2 months, so that would fit your schedule perfectly. Given your current Scaled Scores, you might actually pick up those missing points relatively quickly - that will depend on how much time you can put into your studies and how adaptable you are to practicing new tactics. We have some free resources on our website (www.empowergmat.com), so that you can 'test out' the Course before you set up an account.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact me directly.

Rich

by rommysingh » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:18 pm
I have enrolled with empowerGmat. My journey begins today. Hope it all works out. I wish to write a success story soon! Thanks Rich, will be requiring a lot of inputs from you during the preparation! Thanks.

Rohit

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:56 am
Hi Rohit,

You can always feel free to contact me with any questions that you have. You can also contact the Team (at [email protected]).

Rich

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by vivek1303 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:44 am
Hi,

Improving your score in verbal is slightly more difficult than improving score in Quant. So, I would suggest go for the kill in quant. Once satisfied, that is scoring around 45 to 50 in Quant, then go for verbal.

if SC is the issue then the best bet would the OG for practice, which i see you have. For ground rules I would highly recommend MGMAT SC. Its one of the best gems for laying the SC foundation. However, not all chapters are required to be studied so be judicious in your choice of rules which you learn from the book.

Bets of luck!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:19 am
Hi All,

While there are a variety of ways to study for the GMAT, taking an 'all-of-one-section then all-of-another" approach is often not the most efficient way to study. Knowledge can fade, skills can go dull - these things are more likely to happen in that type of approach. If a Test Taker is on a deadline (or working under a limited timeframe), and there's an argument to be made that the Verbal section would require a LONGER time commitment to master than the Quant, trying to master the Quant section first and then devoting whatever time remains to the Verbal section could also be problematic.

The GMAT is predictable, standardized Test, so you CAN train to score at a high level - that training does require a thought-out process though, so it's often beneficial to work with an established study plan that will help you to maximize the time that you have.

Rich

by rommysingh » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:58 am
THANKS! for the response Vivek n Rich. I agree that study needs to be balanced on both front. Vivek I have MGMAT strategy guide of 10. For Verbal like you mentioned not all is to be studied can you lay emphasis on the chapters that need to be studied and ones that I can discard. Also would you recommend buying just the Verbal section of eGmat. Quant I am studying from EmpowerGmat its pretty good! I have to come to verbal section to see how it would be.

Followed by:13 members

by Rich@EconomistGMAT » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:41 am
Hi rommysingh,

In addition to the online materials you're using (feel free to give Economist GMAT Tutor a whirl for free at this link: https://bit.ly/1bPAHuW), our students have also supplemented their materials with outside readings. Feel free to break up your studies by attacking opinion pieces from your favorite sources the same way you'd attack a RC piece. Not only is this good reading practice in general, but you'll also see how professional writers use words/grammar in their work, which will shed light on all pieces of the GMAT verbal.

Best,
Rich