GMAT after graduation and bagging jobs based thereon

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I am a 22 yo Chartered Accountant from India (qualified this July). I plan to take a 6 month break to take the GMAT (and do some volunteer work and pursue other interests). I plan to apply to B-schools in 3-4 years' time.

I have a couple of queries-

1. Besides the validity of the GMAT score, are there any other Cons of taking the GMAT right after graduation?
2. If I secure a 700+ score thereon, is it advisable to put it on my Resume? With respect to India, can it leverage my chances of getting an Analyst position at an MBB/IB? Further, to what extent will it be a double-edged sword (since my intention to quit in 3-4 years' time would be amply clear to my interviewer)?

Cheers,
Pranav

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:33 am
Pranav94 wrote:I am a 22 yo Chartered Accountant from India (qualified this July). I plan to take a 6 month break to take the GMAT (and do some volunteer work and pursue other interests). I plan to apply to B-schools in 3-4 years' time.

I have a couple of queries-

1. Besides the validity of the GMAT score, are there any other Cons of taking the GMAT right after graduation?
2. If I secure a 700+ score thereon, is it advisable to put it on my Resume? With respect to India, can it leverage my chances of getting an Analyst position at an MBB/IB? Further, to what extent will it be a double-edged sword (since my intention to quit in 3-4 years' time would be amply clear to my interviewer)?

Cheers,
Pranav
Hi Pranav! First kudos to you for thinking ahead! Sounds like you have a good plan for your future. My advice is first score 700+ and if you really want to have US MBA options then shoot for 740+. If you get this score- then maybe it will be helpful on your resume. If you are applying to a place like MBB or IB then they will expect an MBA path and you are not really doing anything out of the ordinary. If you go acct route- it might tip your hand but it also signals that you are smart so I would consider adding it.

As far as how we could help you now... we have a profile development package where we work with candidates over the course of a year or so for just a few hours to help them prepare for future MBA admissions. We do an audit on how you are now on the top criteria for admission and help you develop a plan to strengthen every area. To see how we could help you, go to this link for a free consult: https://stratusprep.com/free-consult/

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by 99Colleges: MBA Admission » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:12 pm
Hi Pranav,

My answers to your questions:

1. I don't see any other con.

2. GMAT score will be a small factor, at best, if you're trying for MBB/ IB position in the near future (it seems you're talking about pre-MBA placement). Moreover, most placements take place on campus, and that will be a challenge as well. It's difficult to guess the extent of your GMAT score being interpreted in a wrong way (double-edged sword). In consulting and IB, it may not be taken otherwise because it's common for their employees to pursue MBA
Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant
--------------------------------------
Consulting| Contact at [email protected] for your queries on MBA Admissions
--------------------------------------
And if you couldn't make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:26 am
Thanks for sharing.

Agree with the advices above, no issue taking it ahead of time.

Including it in your CV might help especially if you score higher. Listing the GMAT in your CV to help show your intellectual horsepower and and goal-oriented should help particularly in your target industries.

All the best!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!