GMAT 690 Profile Evaluation

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT 690 Profile Evaluation

by twofaceharvy » Wed May 27, 2015 6:05 am
Hi Stacy and Team,

I wrote my second GMAT on 21st May 2015 and earned 690(IR 5, QA 49, VA 34) in second attempt. In first had earned 670. I am planning to apply for Aug 2016 MBA programs and will have completed 5 years by that time working for an Indian Multinational. Please evaluate my profile:

GMAT: 690(IR 5, QA 49, VA 34)
Under Grad: Computer Science Engineer from a Government Autonomous Institute in India with CGPA 8.3 out of 10

Work Ex: Working as a software engineer for Indian multinational since 29th July 2011 till date. Recently promoted to lead the team of 4 engineers. Working in UK for British Telecom on behalf of Indian company for last one year. I work in rare air logistics domain and have a sound domain knowledge.

Volunteer: Worked as volunteer for a few Indian small NGOs and for my companies CSR activities. Here working as a volunteer at one of the British Heart Foundation shops.
Volunteered and organized many college level competitions and events.

Sports: Played cricket for district team and in UK play for Aldershot Cricket club.

I am targeting top 20 B schools though top 10 seem out of reach with low GMAT score. What are my chances of getting into top 20 B schools and secure decent scholarship? Should I retake the GMAT or go ahead with application?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Thu May 28, 2015 4:59 am
Hi Harvy,
You have some strong leadership and internationalism here, which should help you compete for a spot in a top business school. However, that GMAT will certainly impact your school choices. If you think you can get your score up over 700, particularly the verbal part, take it again. You're still quite young, so it might be worthwhile to take a course in business writing, such as those offered by UCLA Anderson Extension, to crank up your writing skill-set before retaking the GMAT.

Which schools? Look at the posted class profiles, either on each school's website or on Bloomberg, and target schools where your GMAT places you at or around the median (not the 80% range) of accepted students -- that's the best way to assess your chances.

Bear in mind is that your goals are an important part of the application process to top MBA programs, and I notice that you didn't mention career goals here. It's a good thing to start thinking about: not only which schools in terms of rankings/brand, but which schools have unique offerings that are a perfect match with your post-MBA career objectives. This will help you narrow your targets to a manageable short-list, and prepare you for deep, school-specific research, which is the next really important part of the application process.

Hope this helps,
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by twofaceharvy » Sat May 30, 2015 2:01 am
Hi Margaret,

Thanks for the reply. Yesterday, I received my official GMAT score 690(QA 49, VA 34, AWA 6,IR 5). I am more inclined towards career in finance and consulting post MBA as I have strong analytical and reasoning skills.The major thing to consider is, my pre MBA experience has been completely technical and has nothing to do with finance.
Can you suggest some universities to me?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:00 pm
Hi Harvey,
School choices are a very individual, complex and crucial part of your MBA application strategy, whereas this public forum is a better fit for high-level feedback and knowledge-sharing that will be valuable to a broad spectrum of readers. In my opinion, your best bet is to reach out to a consulting company and ask for a one-on-one profile evaluation. We would be happy to talk with you!

Thanks,
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me