GMAT-590 where can i apply

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

GMAT-590 where can i apply

by rdchandvadkar » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:25 am
Hi,

i just got back from my GMAT 2nd attempt and increased my score by only 20 points. I got a 590.. can anyone tell me some decent universities that i could apply to in the UK and US.

I have done very well in my graduation and in my masters and have more 2yrs and 10 months work ex.

thanks.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:32 am
rdchandvadkar just a thought that if you did well in a Masters program, that may add some more credibility to your competence of being able to handle the work in an MBA program
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:38 am
rdchandvadkar wrote:Hi,

i just got back from my GMAT 2nd attempt and increased my score by only 20 points. I got a 590.. can anyone tell me some decent universities that i could apply to in the UK and US.

I have done very well in my graduation and in my masters and have more 2yrs and 10 months work ex.

thanks.
I'll be real with you, unless you know people in admissions and/or have an exceptional resume, you will probably need to take it again to get into a top 20 program.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:00 pm
i don't know if rdchandvadkar is aiming for a top 20 b-school

by rdchandvadkar » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:42 pm
i initially always wanted to attend a top 20-25 program. Do you guys feel that if i sit back for a year and concentrate just on work and indulge in a lot of reading (never liked reading, so never read a lot of books; a bad habit that i feel has come back to haunt me) maybe do the CFA course and then pursue my MBA. Considering i am 23 yrs and 10 months old. i still have some time.

Also considering that on both my last attempts i scored low in verbal. the second time around i improved in quant. i now feel that the key to a strong performance in gmat is the verbal section.

thanks for the responses.. i really appreciate them.
Last edited by rdchandvadkar on Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:48 pm
If you're only 23 you definitely have time. I would even take time just to prepare for the GMAT again. I think HBS is the only top 10 school that really prefers younger applicants.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

by rdchandvadkar » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:51 pm
thanks for the response again... i think i will take a break for a few days. go away for a few days considering i have been stuck in the GMAT for the last 3 months. Don't want to make impulsive decisions.

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:10 pm
rdchandvadkar there is a podcast by MBA Podcaster titled "When Is The Right Time for Business School" or at least something to that effect.

I think yo ucan definitely take time to study... don't rush going to b-school unless you know 100% that you'll get the most out of it and will be able to contribute the most that you can.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by ManhattanReview » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:39 pm
rdchandvadkar wrote:Hi,

thanks.
Do you have any geographic considerations? What are your main goals in doing your MBA? I've listed a few schools below with an average GMAT score in your range. However, it is important to know that the GMAT is only one part of the application and it will also depend upon how well you fit with the program:

Kogod School of Business
Chapman Univeristy
University of Denver
Hofstra
North Eastern University
Hult Int'l Bus School
Rollins Coll Crummer
San Francisco Stat University
University of Massachusetts

We host monthly free MBA Admissions seminars on How to Get into A Top MBA Program. Visit here to sign up.
https://www.manhattanreview.com/online-gmat-mba-event/

You can also watch our youtube videos. More episodes are coming out in the next few weeks. This video below talks about the essay writing tips. We will release one video on recommendation letters in a week or two.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ManhattanRe ... egxsNoa6nI

Let us know if you need any help on your applications. Good luck!

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by bhumika.k.shah » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:07 am
i wanted to know with a score less than 600 and work ex of 33 months , which B schools would one be eligible for MBA?
like top 70-100 of ft.com ?

or say 50-70 ?

would a 70-100 be considered as a sure shot and a 50-70 as <50% chances of getting in ???

Kindly opine!

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:39 pm
i dont know if there's much differentiation between 50->100 programs in terms of GMAT scores...

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by antara08 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:20 am
money9111 wrote:i dont know if there's much differentiation between 50->100 programs in terms of GMAT scores...
Hi,

i gave my GMAT today and got a score of 590.I have a 4 years work ex in the field of IT and an enineering degree in IT.I presentalso teach in a NGO.Please advice where should i apply.
I am from India

Thanks
Antara

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:31 members
GMAT Score:620

by Kaneisha Grayson » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:09 pm
@rdchandvadkar: You should definitely give yourself another year of GMAT preparation and not rush into business school. It sounds quite exciting to you to go to a top 20 b-school, so give yourself the best shot at doing so! And don't keep taking the official test over and over again in hopes of getting a higher score. Do diligent self-study, take one of the many GMAT prep courses advertised here at BTG, and THEN sign up for the official test.

Best of luck in your business school application journey!
Harvard Business School MBA 2010, Harvard Kennedy School MPA 2010
Founder, The Art of Applying
Admissions Consulting for MBA, MPP, Joint Degrees, and Fellowships
https://theartofapplying.com

Want free advice that actually works? Sign up for my weekly MBA, MPP, and JD newsletter here: https://theartofapplying.com/newsletter/

My clients have earned over $3.1 million in fellowships from Harvard and other top MBA, MPP, and JD programs since 2010.

Legendary Member

by money9111 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:34 pm
the gmat sucks! haha I'm in the same boat...