GMAT 590 (Q47, V24) need help!!!!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:590

GMAT 590 (Q47, V24) need help!!!!

by gabriel87 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:45 am
Hi,

Yesterday wrote my GMAT and got 590(Q47 and V24). Quants score is highest of all my practice test. . In verbal, I use to range from 20-31 and was consistent at 28 level. I have planned to retake but I am not sure how far I can improve in verbal in one month. I studied for around 2.5 months.

Also I gave GMAT in May 2012 and got 420 with one week preparation. I didn't know what is GMAT and wanted to give a shot before pattern change. Then gave another shot in November 2012 but cancelled the score because I did very poor in Verbal and ran out of time.

Materials used:

OG 13
E-gmat
Powerscore CR

CAT 1: 450 (Q30, V19)

CAT 2: 590 (Q40, V31)

CAT 3: 490 (Q30, V28)

CAT 4: 490 (Q38, V20)

CAT 5: 560 (Q39, V28)

CAT 6: 570 (Q39, V29)

Please note, I need to apply in R2 and I can't prolong it further. I am desperate to go now. It's now or never situation for me. I am preparing for TOEFL and giving it in another few weeks. Following are my queries

1. What are the chances of me getting with 590 score into a decent uni in US, UK, Australia or Europe.

Indian Male in IT field with 4.5 years experience. Currently working for a Non-profit organisation.
GPA-3.

2. Please tell me whether the following will work.

With the current score, I have planned to apply to some decent uni and in parallel prepare for retake. If the retake score is higher than 590, I can use it and if it's not, I will cancel the score.

Thanks,
Gabriel

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:19 am
Hi Gabriel,

Considering your score from 2 years ago, you've made some serious improvements studying on your own. You've asked a number of important questions, but you haven't provided much in the way of real information. To answer your immediate questions:

1) I'm not sure what you mean when you say a "decent university"; do you have some specific schools that you want to apply to? If so, then you can do some research and try to determine whether your GMAT score is competitive or not. If you don't know what schools you're going to apply to yet, then you should do some research to narrow down the field of possibilities.

2) You can certainly work on your applications and continue to study for the GMAT so that you can retake it. Many Test Takers have busy lives, so the idea that you'd be working on multiple "projects" at the same time is not unique. You'll have to be organized and disciplined about your available free time though.

When you have a list of schools, you might consider asking your admissions questions to an Admissions Expert (there's a whole Forum full of them on this website). My suggestion is that you provide as many details about yourself, work experience, etc. as possible, since the Experts won't be able to offer much insight if they don't know the specifics of your situation.

As far as your studies are concerned, your Official GMAT score doesn't "line up" with your practice CAT scores, so I think that you were studying in a way that didn't match the specifics of Test Day. Before we get into those issues, I'd like to know....

What is your goal score?

On this latest Official GMAT, your Quant score is abnormally high relative to your CAT scores - maybe your Quant ability IS that strong, but there isn't any evidence to prove that it's consistent (and maybe you got a little lucky on Test Day). Your Verbal practice scores seemed to fluctuate, which is also problematic (and your Official Verbal score is right in the middle). If you want to score at a much higher level, then you're going to have to change the way that you study (and you'll probably need to invest in some new GMAT materials).

Thankfully, the GMAT is a predictable, standardized Exam, so you CAN train to CRUSH it.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]