GMAT 1-0-1 tutor needed

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

GMAT 1-0-1 tutor needed

by Prernasrk » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:26 am
Hi,
Can someone help me find a GMAT verbal tutor in pune. I want to retake GMAT in 2 weeks and need urgent help on verbal.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:29 pm
Hi Prernasrk,

You might consider posting this in the Lounge area as well. Many users read that sub-Forum.

You mention your need for Verbal help. How has your overall performance been on your CATs? Are there any specific concepts or question types in the Verbal section that you're having problems with?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by Prernasrk » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:26 am
Rich,
I need help on CR and RC. I have taken 5 Kaplan tests on all of those I scored 600+. But when I took the GMAT, I got 580. I am not much confident with CR and RC. I have also taken empowergmat. It greatly helped me in quant and SC. But I still dont get the confidence for Cr and RC. Many have said that CRs are the easiest but I want to understand the basics to tackle CR. There has to be some tactics.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:48 pm
Hi Prernasrk,

What were your specific scores on each of your practice CATs (including Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores) vs. your scores on your Official GMAT? When you took your practice CATs, what was different about the experience? Did you skip sections? Take the tests at a different time? Etc.

Many of the problems that Test Takers face in the Verbal section are due to fatigue and not enough note-taking, so there are some tactical moves you can make to handle the "physical" side of taking the Test.

You mentioned using the EMPOWERgmat Course; if you're still enrolled, then you should revisit Max's CR and RC lessons - they really make the process of dealing with those prompts simple and step-by-step.

Rich

by Prernasrk » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:04 pm
I took GMAT twice and both the times I scored exactly same Q47,V23. Surprisingly, even the IR score was same.I was able to find the CRs and RCs on empower GMAT very simple. But when I take the entire passage, I dont do well.

Prerna

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:39 am
Hi prernasrk,

CR and RC prompts, like almost all GMAT prompts, are about patterns and repeatable steps. You might find an individual RC passage to be short or long, easy or hard, simple or complex.... but you should deal with it in the exact same way EVERY time. The Verbal side of the GMAT requires almost no imagination or cleverness on your part - it requires a cold, methodical approach. RC prompts require the same general approach regardless of the details because RC prompts are based on the same handful of question types.

CR prompts test a slightly wider range of thinking, but they too are based on patterns, common themes (and even common wrong answers). You should never "wing it" on a CR prompt. Identify the type of question that you're facing, then follow the proper steps to beat it.

From what you're described, I don't think that you were really focused on learning, memorizing and practicing the "steps" for RC or CR. With a V23 on your GMAT, you're also losing out on some SC points, so you might not know all of the grammar rules that are required. Furthermore, you could very easily be too fatigued to do the work correctly and the way with which you choose to handle the Verbal section might be leading to some pacing problems.

You still have not provided much information about how you specifically scored on each your CATs nor how you "took" each CAT (what time of day, did you skip sections, etc.). Those factors, if they vary from your Official GMAT, can help to explain the difference in scores. In addition, a 580 could very easily have been a 610 (GMAC has stated that, statistically speaking, your Official GMAT score is within +-29 points of actual ability), so your Official Score sounds like it might be right in line with how you performed on your practice.

Rich