Welcome! Check out our free B-School Guides to learn how you compare with other applicants.
Login or Register

Gerund Modifier

This topic has 1 expert reply and 2 member replies
BN89 Just gettin' started! Default Avatar
Posted:
6 messages
Gerund Modifier Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:56 am
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    Hey,

I have a question about question 66 in the official guide.

"The 32 species that make up the dolphin family are closely related to whales and in fact include the animal known as the killer whale,which can grow to be 30 feet long and is famous for its aggressive hunting pods."

C) include the animal known as the killer whale, growing up to 30 feet long and being

I figured that the original sentence was grammatically correct, although the "can grow to be" could sound awkward as well according to GMAT logic.
    Answer choice C uses the gerund form to modify the noun killer whale, which is also grammatically correct, isn't it?
    The right answer to this question is A, but I don't get why C is wrong.

In general when do you have to use a relative clause with which as a modifier and when do you have to use the ing-form as a modifier?

Thanks in advance.

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
    sam2304 GMAT Titan
    Posted:
    1239 messages
    Followed by:
    25 members
    Test Date:
    26/06/2012
    Target GMAT Score:
    GMAT Score:
    Post Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:00 pm
    Two reasons why C is wrong
    Being is problematic.
    -ing modifier followed by a comma usually modifies the entire preceding clause. In this case only killer whale should be modified but the 32 species are also modified.

mskgmat Just gettin' started!
    Posted:
    24 messages
    Test Date:
    30-MAY-2012
    Target GMAT Score:
    750+
    GMAT Score:
    650+
    Post Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:47 am
    Being signals redundancy in GMAT. When you have other answer choice grammatically correctly "being " is wrong because of redundancy. However,GMAT nowadays have questions with being in correct answer. So careful before eliminating it.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:54 pm
    BN89 wrote:
    Hey,

I have a question about question 66 in the official guide.

"The 32 species that make up the dolphin family are closely related to whales and in fact include the animal known as the killer whale,which can grow to be 30 feet long and is famous for its aggressive hunting pods."

C) include the animal known as the killer whale, growing up to 30 feet long and being

I figured that the original sentence was grammatically correct, although the "can grow to be" could sound awkward as well according to GMAT logic.
    Answer choice C uses the gerund form to modify the noun killer whale, which is also grammatically correct, isn't it?
    The right answer to this question is A, but I don't get why C is wrong.

In general when do you have to use a relative clause with which as a modifier and when do you have to use the ing-form as a modifier?

Thanks in advance.
    In C, growing is not a gerund (a verb functioning as a noun) but a PARTICIPLE (a verb functioning as an adjective).
    In the construction COMMA + VERBing, the VERBing should refer to the SUBJECT of the preceding clause.
    Hence, C incorrectly implies that the 32 species -- the subject of the preceding clause -- are growing.

I posted an explanation of this SC here:

http://www.beatthegmat.com/modfiers-t83807.html

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
    Contact me about long distance tutoring!

Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.

Best Conversation Starters

1 abhasjha 54 topics
    2 tanvis1120 22 topics
    3 qwerty12321 20 topics
    4 Nijo 18 topics
    5 aditya8062 14 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

187 posts
    2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow