Welcome! Check out our free B-School Guides to learn how you compare with other applicants.
Login or Register

Geometry-triangles

This topic has 3 expert replies and 7 member replies
buoyant Really wants to Beat The GMAT! Default Avatar
Posted:
106 messages
Geometry-triangles Post Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:37 pm
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    For triangle ABC, angle ABC = 90 degrees, and side AC has a length of 15. if point D lies on side AC, and a line is drawn from point B to point D, what is the length of line segment BD?

(1) Triangle ABC is isosceles.

(2) Line segment BD is perpendicular to side AC.

OA C

why is answer not A. I always get confused with a line drawn from the right angle to the hypotenuse of that Right triangle.
    Isn't this alone sufficient that a line drawn from the right angle of an isosceles right triangle to its hypotenuse will divide the hypotenuse into two equal pieces?

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
    theCodeToGMAT GMAT Titan
    Posted:
    1556 messages
    Followed by:
    34 members
    Target GMAT Score:
    GMAT Score:
    Post Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:05 am
    Answer {C}
    Attachments

This post contains an attachment. You must be logged in to download/view this file. Please login or register as a user.

Thanked by: buoyant
    theCodeToGMAT GMAT Titan
    Posted:
    1556 messages
    Followed by:
    34 members
    Target GMAT Score:
    GMAT Score:
    Post Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:14 am
    buoyant wrote:
    why is answer not A. I always get confused with a line drawn from the right angle to the hypotenuse of that Right triangle.
    Isn't this alone sufficient that a line drawn from the right angle of an isosceles right triangle to its hypotenuse will divide the hypotenuse into two equal pieces?[/spoiler]
    Statement 1 doesn't tell us the position of "D".. it can mean any possible point on AC.
    Attachments

This post contains an attachment. You must be logged in to download/view this file. Please login or register as a user.

Mathsbuddy GMAT Destroyer! Default Avatar
    Posted:
    447 messages
    Followed by:
    1 members
    Post Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:50 am
    If you draw the triangle it helps.

BD bisect angle ABC because it is symmetrical (isosceles)

So looking at a half triangle

BD = 7.5/tan45

tan45 = 1

so BD = 7.5

Post Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:51 am
    buoyant wrote:
    For triangle ABC, angle ABC = 90 degrees, and side AC has a length of 15. if point D lies on side AC, and a line is drawn from point B to point D, what is the length of line segment BD?

IMPORTANT: For geometry DS questions, we are typically checking to see whether the statements "lock" a particular angle or length into having just one value. This concept is discussed in much greater detail in our free video: http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-data-sufficiency?id=1103

This technique can save a lot of time.

Target question: What is the length of line segment BD?

Given: For triangle ABC, angle ABC = 90 degrees, and side AC has a length of 15.

So, we have a shape that looks something like this . . .

. . . where the legs of the triangle can vary AND the location of point D can vary.

Statement 1: Triangle ABC is isosceles.
    Since there is ONLY ONE isosceles right triangle with hypotenuse 15, this statement LOCKS triangle ABC into having one and only one shape.

However, statement 1 does NOT lock in the location of point D.
    Since this statement does not lock in the location of point D, the length of BD is NOT LOCKED IN.
    Consider these two examples.

Notice the different lengths of line segment BD
    Since statement 1 does not lock in the length of line segment BD, it is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: Line segment BD is perpendicular to side AC.
    This statement locks in the location of point D (in relation to the triangle's hypotenuse), but it does NOT lock in the shape of the triangle.
    Consider these two examples:

Since statement 2 does not lock in the length of line segment BD, it is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statements 1 and 2 combined
    Statement 1 locks in the shape of triangle ABC.
    Statement 2 then locks in the location of point D as follows:

Since there's only one diagram that can be drawn with the given information, there can be ONLY ONE length of line segment BD
    Are we required to find this length? No. We need only recognize that there can be only one length.
    Since we can answer the target question with certainty, the combined statements are SUFFICIENT

Answer = C

Cheers,
    Brent

Enter our contest to win a free course.

GMAT Prep Now's comprehensive video course can be used in conjunction with Beat The GMAT’s FREE 60-Day Study Guide and reach your target score in 2 months!
    Posted:
    106 messages
    Post Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:52 am
    theCodeToGMAT wrote:
    Answer {C}
    Hi theCodeToGMAT,
    So, is it a rule that the perpendicular bisector drawn from the right angled vertex of any isosceles Right Triangle will always divide its hypotenuse into two equal parts?

Post Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:12 am
    buoyant wrote:
    theCodeToGMAT wrote:
    Answer {C}
    Hi theCodeToGMAT,
    So, is it a rule that the perpendicular bisector drawn from the right angled vertex of any isosceles Right Triangle will always divide its hypotenuse into two equal parts?
    In an isosceles right triangle, a line drawn from the right angle to the hypotenuse forms two congruent triangles.
    If you look at Brent's drawing when the statements are combined, ∆ABD and ∆BCD are both 45-45-90 triangles.
    In ∆ABD, AB=BD, since the opposite angles are equal.
    In ∆BCD, CD=BD, since the opposite angles are equal.
    Thus, AB=CD=BD, implying that BD bisects side AC.

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
    Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
    For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
    theCodeToGMAT GMAT Titan
    Posted:
    1556 messages
    Followed by:
    34 members
    Target GMAT Score:
    GMAT Score:
    Post Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:23 am
    buoyant wrote:
    theCodeToGMAT wrote:
    Answer {C}
    Hi theCodeToGMAT,
    Well, if you say "perpendicular bisector" then you yourself answered what you asked Wink

In general, for a right angled triangle:
    h = ab/c
    and h^2 = mn
    where,
    a, b and c are the measurement of sides.
    and, c = m + n

GMAT/MBA Expert

lunarpower GMAT Instructor
    Posted:
    3380 messages
    Followed by:
    1451 members
    GMAT Score:
    Post Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:14 am
    I received a private message about this thread.

I can see the problem, but, for some reason, your comments are entirely blacked out -- I can't see what you wrote at all. (I'm using a tablet, so perhaps that's the problem.)

If you still have questions, can you post them so that I can see them?
    Thanks.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
    Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
    On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
    Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Free Manhattan Prep online events - The first class of every online Manhattan Prep course is free. Classes start every week.
    Zach.J.Dragone Just gettin' started! Default Avatar
    Posted:
    29 messages
    Post Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:06 pm
    THAT is an awesome explanation. If you did these for tough 700 questions I would get a 700 no problem. Smile

Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:
    buoyant wrote:

IMPORTANT: For geometry DS questions, we are typically checking to see whether the statements "lock" a particular angle or length into having just one value. This concept is discussed in much greater detail in our free video: http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-data-sufficiency?id=1103

This technique can save a lot of time.

Target question: What is the length of line segment BD?

Given: For triangle ABC, angle ABC = 90 degrees, and side AC has a length of 15.

So, we have a shape that looks something like this . . .

. . . where the legs of the triangle can vary AND the location of point D can vary.

Statement 1: Triangle ABC is isosceles.
    Since there is ONLY ONE isosceles right triangle with hypotenuse 15, this statement LOCKS triangle ABC into having one and only one shape.

However, statement 1 does NOT lock in the location of point D.
    Since this statement does not lock in the location of point D, the length of BD is NOT LOCKED IN.
    Consider these two examples.

Since statement 1 does not lock in the length of line segment BD, it is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: Line segment BD is perpendicular to side AC.
    This statement locks in the location of point D (in relation to the triangle's hypotenuse), but it does NOT lock in the shape of the triangle.
    Consider these two examples:

Since statement 2 does not lock in the length of line segment BD, it is NOT SUFFICIENT

Statements 1 and 2 combined
    Statement 1 locks in the shape of triangle ABC.
    Statement 2 then locks in the location of point D as follows:

Since there's only one diagram that can be drawn with the given information, there can be ONLY ONE length of line segment BD
    Are we required to find this length? No. We need only recognize that there can be only one length.
    Since we can answer the target question with certainty, the combined statements are SUFFICIENT

Answer = C

Cheers,
    Brent

Posted:
    106 messages
    Post Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:42 am
    lunarpower wrote:
    I received a private message about this thread.

I can see the problem, but, for some reason, your comments are entirely blacked out -- I can't see what you wrote at all. (I'm using a tablet, so perhaps that's the problem.)

If you still have questions, can you post them so that I can see them?
    Thanks.
    Hi Ron,

I had a notion that any line drawn from the right angled vertex of a right triangle to the opposite side will be a perpendicular bisector. After all these explanations by other instructors, i took a note that such is the case in an isosceles right angle triangle, because we have two 45-45-90 triangles, which make the two bases equal.

I usually get confused in similar triangles and variations in right triangles.

Please add if there is anything that can be relevant to this discussion.

Thanks!

Best Conversation Starters

1 hazelnut01 61 topics
    2 NandishSS 22 topics
    3 rsarashi 16 topics
    4 GMATinsight 15 topics
    5 Hmna 14 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

114 posts
    2 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

102 posts
    3 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

86 posts
    4 image description Matt@VeritasPrep

Veritas Prep

69 posts
    5 image description DavidG@VeritasPrep

Veritas Prep

69 posts
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts