Welcome! Check out our free B-School Guides to learn how you compare with other applicants.
Login or Register

Geometry: Perimeter of a triangle vs that of a square

This topic has 2 expert replies and 1 member reply
topspin360 Rising GMAT Star Default Avatar
Posted:
93 messages
Geometry: Perimeter of a triangle vs that of a square Post Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:32 pm
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    Can someone please explain how you'd go about tackling this question?

Question: Is the perimeter of a triangle T greater than the perimeter of square S?

1) The length of the longest side of T is twice the length of a side S.

2) T is isoceles.

I assume you start by picking a variable for either the side of S or T. How do you quickly deduce from there?

the answer is

A

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
    Param800 Rising GMAT Star Default Avatar
    Posted:
    65 messages
    Followed by:
    1 members
    Post Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:13 pm
    I did this way,

We know that " the sum of two sides of a triangle are always greater than the third side."

So, let the length of first, second and third sides of triangle be x, y and z respectively where z is the longest side.

So, we know that x + y >= z ... (i)

And for perimeter ... x + y + z >= 2 z ( from i )

OK Now, lets go to options..

St. 1 -- It says that the longest side is 2*a ( where a is the side of square )
    So.. from above analysis... we can say that permeter of triangle will be >= 2 ( 2 *a) >= 4*a

and we know that perimeter of square is 4*a...so this statement is sufficient.

St2 -- It does not say anything about square, so insufficient.

Hence, answer is A. Hope this clarifies your concern

topspin360 wrote:

Question: Is the perimeter of a triangle T greater than the perimeter of square S?

2) T is isoceles.

I assume you start by picking a variable for either the side of S or T. How do you quickly deduce from there?

the answer is

A

GMAT/MBA Expert

Whitney Garner GMAT Instructor
    Posted:
    273 messages
    Followed by:
    72 members
    GMAT Score:
    Post Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:15 pm
    Hi topspin360!

This is a tricky problem to do algebraically because of the various configurations for the triangle (is it right, isosceles, equilateral, nothing??). So maybe we just start making up some numbers that work. We are only asked about perimeters, so as long as we make the sides of the triangle "legal" (no side is longer than the sum of the other 2 sides), then we're good.

(1) The length of the longest side of T is twice the length of a side S.
    To be lazy here, I picked a well known right triangle: 3-4-5, perimeter=12. This means the side of the square is 1/2 of 5, or 2.5, perimeter=10. In this case, the perimeter of the triangle is LARGER than the perimeter of the square. Now I have to test something where the perimeter of the triangle would be LESS than the perimeter of the square....maybe if I make the sides of the triangle really small, and if I make the "longest" side as short as possible, or the same length as the other sides? What about an equilateral with all sides 1, perimeter=3. The square would have sides .5, perimeter 2...still smaller!! So let's think theory... the smallest "long" side for a triangle would be one where it was the same length as the other sides (equilateral), so if the triangle has side lengths t, perimeter 3t, the square would have sides .5T, perimeter 2t...always smaller than 3t!! So it looks like we were able to prove that under this constraint, the perimeter of the triangle is ALWAYS larger than that of the square! SUFFICIENT

(2) T is isoceles.
    So here, we don't have ANY relationship between the triangle and the square so we can make up whatever we want. Let's make the triangle 1-1-1 (because ALL equilateral triangles are also isosceles), and the square 2-2-2-2... Here the square has a LARGER perimeter than the triangle. But swap them, make the triangle 2-2-2 and the square 1-1-1-1... Now the square is only 4 while the triangle is 6, so the triangle has a LARGER perimeter. NOT SUFFICIENT

Therefore, the answer is A

Hope this helps!
    Smile
    Whit

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Math is a lot like love - a simple idea that can easily get complicated Smile

Free Manhattan GMAT online events - The first class of every online Manhattan GMAT course is free. Classes start every week.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:55 pm
    topspin360 wrote:

2) T is isoceles.

the answer is

A
    Statement 1: The length of the longest side of T is twice the length of a side pf S.
    Square S:
    Let each side = s.
    Then the perimeter = 4s.

Triangle T:
    Let triangle T be ∆ABC, whose longest side is AC.
    Then AC = 2s.
    Since the third side of a triangle must be LESS than the sum of the lengths of the other 2 sides, AC < AB+BC.
    Thus, AB+BC > AC, implying that AB+BC > 2s.
    Since AC = 2s, and AB+BC > 2s, AB+BC+AC > 4s.
    In other words, the perimeter of triangle T is GREATER than 4s.

Since the perimeter of triangle T > 4s, and the perimeter of square S = 4s, the perimeter of triangle T is greater than the perimeter of square S.
    SUFFICIENT.

Statement 2: T is isosceles.
    No information about square S.
    INSUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is A.

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
    Contact me about long distance tutoring!

Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.

Best Conversation Starters

1 lukaswelker 62 topics
    2 mukherjee.tanuj3@... 43 topics
    3 candygal79 30 topics
    4 shibsriz@gmail.com 25 topics
    5 gmattesttaker2 15 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

160 posts
    2 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow