sanchu Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
6 messages

Geometry and Angles (My weakness)

Post Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:25 pm
Elapsed Time: 00:00
  • Lap #[LAPCOUNT] ([LAPTIME])
    13th Edition Question Number 92.

A ladder of a fire truck is elevated to an angle of 60 degrees and extended to a length of 70 feet. If the base of the ladder is 7 feet above ground, how many feet above the ground does the ladder reach?

The answer set mentions that this is a 30-60-90 triangle. How would I have deduced this part? I visualized correctly, but I didn't know how to solve.

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!
    Post Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:34 pm
    sanchu wrote:

A ladder of a fire truck is elevated to an angle of 60 degrees and extended to a length of 70 feet. If the base of the ladder is 7 feet above ground, how many feet above the ground does the ladder reach?

The answer set mentions that this is a 30-60-90 triangle. How would I have deduced this part? I visualized correctly, but I didn't know how to solve.

When ladder BC is elevated to an angle of 60 degrees, the result is ∆ABC.
    Since AB is perpendicular to the ground, ∠BAC is a right angle.
    Thus, ∆ABC is a 30-60-90 triangle.

In a 30-60-90 triangle, the sides are in the following ratio:
    s : s√3 : 2s.
    In ∆ABC, 2s = 70, implying that s=35.
    Thus, the length of AB -- the middle side -- is 35√3.

Since the base of the ladder -- point C -- is 7 feet off the ground, the total distance between point B and the ground = 35√3 + 7.

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Thank" icon.
    Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
    For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.

Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
    Post Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:07 pm
    Hi sanchu,

Most geometry questions on the GMAT can be made easier to solve IF you draw a picture and fill in whatever information that you have. It's also worth noting that every question on the GMAT is very carefully designed, so you need to pay attention to the details and think about what those details remind you of.

In this question, the prompt tells us that a ladder is elevated to 60 DEGREES. Now WHY do you suppose that is? It's probably because this question is testing our knowledge of a 30-60-90 triangle (which is common enough on the GMAT that you're likely to see it).

So, try drawing a 30-60-90 triangle with a hypotenuse of 70 feet. If you know the rules of a 30-60-90 triangle, then you can calculate the other sides. Don't forget that the ladder is already 7 feet above ground, so that will factor into the solution.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
    Rich

mcdesty Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
    Posted:
    116 messages
    Followed by:
    11 members
    GMAT Score:
    Post Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:09 am
    Your scratch paper should look like the attachment below.
    Attachments

This post contains an attachment. You must be logged in to download/view this file. Please login or register as a user.

Thanked by: vickysan
    Post Thu May 21, 2015 10:27 am
    sanchu wrote:

A ladder of a fire truck is elevated to an angle of 60 degrees and extended to a length of 70 feet. If the base of the ladder is 7 feet above the ground, how many feet above the ground does the ladder reach?

A/ 35
    B/ 42
    C/ 35√3
    D/ 7 + 35√3
    E/ 7 + 42√3

Solution:

We are given that the ladder of a fire truck is elevated to an angle 60 degrees above the ground and that the ladder has a length of 70 feet. We are also given that the ladder is 7 feet above the ground. The best thing to do in this situation is to draw a diagram.

Notice that the resulting triangle in the sketch is a 30-60-90 right triangle. The ratio of the sides of a 30-60-90 right triangle is x : x√3 : 2x. We see that the hypotenuse length of 70 feet is equal to the "2x" from the 30-60-90 ratio. Thus, we can set up an equation and solve for x.

70 = 2x

x = 35

Because x = 35, we know that the side opposite the 60-degree angle or, in this case, the height of the ladder, is 35√3. The height of the ladder is 35√3 feet and the base of the ladder is 7 feet above the ground; thus, we know that the ladder reaches a total height above the ground of 35√3 + 7 feet.

The Answer is D

Post Fri May 22, 2015 6:34 am
    I worked through this problem yesterday and was conceptually fine on it -- i.e. recognized the 30-60-90 triangle, the fixed relationships for side lengths, and the need to add the 7 feet to the final answer -- but I ended up choosing the wrong answer because I didn't assign the 30 and 60 degree angles correctly, and obviously that gave me the wrong answer when I calculated the lengths via the fixed ratios for 30-60-90 triangles.

Reading back over this, the prompt seems to be really vague about where 60 degree angle is formed (i.e. between the ladder and the truck, or between the ladder and the building). Am I just misreading it when I think of it that way?

Post Fri May 22, 2015 9:45 am
    Hi outsidethelines,

Since the prompt tells us that the LADDER is elevated to an angle of 60 degrees, that angle is relative to the flat ground (or in this case, "parallel" to the ground).

It often helps to draw pictures when dealing with Geometry questions. Beyond the obvious utility (you can then put in the numbers and "see" how everything relates, you can translate wordier questions 'step by step' and not be overwhelmed by the information.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
    Rich

vickysan Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
    Posted:
    13 messages
    Followed by:
    2 members
    Target GMAT Score:
    Post Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:20 pm
    mcdesty wrote:
    Your scratch paper should look like the attachment below.
    Great visual. Thanks for providing the scratchwork, and Rich, thank you for the insight as well.

Best Conversation Starters

1 Vincen 132 topics
    2 lheiannie07 65 topics
    3 LUANDATO 54 topics
    4 Roland2rule 43 topics
    5 ardz24 40 topics
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

133 posts
    2 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

114 posts
    3 image description EconomistGMATTutor

The Economist GMAT Tutor

113 posts
    4 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

109 posts
    5 image description DavidG@VeritasPrep

Veritas Prep

72 posts
    See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts