Geologists have found that streams in the Karoo basin of Sou

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740
Geologists have found that streams in the Karoo basin of South Africa changed suddenly at the end of the Permian period 250 million years ago, from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegitated zones to the braided pattern found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold the soil together.

(A) from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold

(B) from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern that they find in areas without deep-rooted vegetation for holding

(C) from the meandering shape typical in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas where it is without deep-rooted vegetation for holding

(D) shifting from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas where it is without deep-rooted vegetation for holding

(E) shifting from the meandering shape that is typical in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern being found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold

Source: GMAT Prep Question Pack 1.
OA: A
Last edited by richachampion on Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:57 am
The OA listed above is incorrect.
The OA is not C but A.
richachampion wrote:Geologists have found that streams in the Karoo basin of South Africa changed suddenly at the end of the Permian period 250 million years ago, from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegitated zones to the braided pattern found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold the soil together.

(A) from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold

(B) from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern that they find in areas without deep-rooted vegetation for holding

(C) from the meandering shape typical in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas where it is without deep-rooted vegetation for holding

(D) shifting from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas where it is without deep-rooted vegetation for holding

(E) shifting from the meandering shape that is typical in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern being found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold
In B, they lacks a clear referent.
Eliminate B.

In C, it lacks a clear referent.
Eliminate C.

D and E: streams changed suddenly, shifting from the meandering shape.
Here, changed and shifting are redundant.
Eliminate D and E.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:25 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:The OA listed above is incorrect.
The OA is not C but A.
richachampion wrote:Geologists have found that streams in the Karoo basin of South Africa changed suddenly at the end of the Permian period 250 million years ago, from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegitated zones to the braided pattern found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold the soil together.

Eliminate B.

Eliminate C.

Eliminate D and E.

The correct answer is A.
Thanks for replying, but my intention for posting was to discuss the uses of shifting here as verb+Ing Modifier.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:53 am
richachampion wrote:
Eliminate D and E.

The correct answer is A.
Thanks for replying, but my intention for posting was to discuss the uses of shifting here as verb+Ing Modifier.
In D and E, shifting serves to modify the preceding subject and verb -- streams changed -- implying that the streams were SHIFTING at the same time as they CHANGED.
As noted in my post, changed and shifting are redundant.
Eliminate D and E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:44 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
richachampion wrote:
Eliminate D and E.

The correct answer is A.
In D and E, shifting serves to modify the preceding subject and verb -- streams changed -- implying that the streams were SHIFTING at the same time as they CHANGED.
As noted in my post, changed and shifting are redundant.
Eliminate D and E.
Thanks MR. Hunt,

I have a question over the Idiom FROM X TO Y =

From X to Y, Here X and Y should be parallel.

X = The meandering shape [Noun]
Y = The braided patterns [Noun]

All the options are grammatically parallel here, but the ||'sm in Option A is a preferred version of ||'sm.

If A is preferred over B that doesn't means B is wrong, but A is better than B.

Here is my understanding -

In the Idiom
From X to Y -

Scope of Parallelism is limited to the laundry list i.e. the main items(whether that's a noun, noun phrase, adjective, clause etc. etc.) that are parallel . It doesn't care about the modifier attached to X or Y i.e. parallel structures do not need to have exactly the same kinds of modifiers attached to them(X or Y) as far as X and Y are same grammatically such as both X and Y are nouns or noun phrases then we do not need that the modifier attached to X or Y also needs to be of the same kind.

This is just common sense.
in real life, we don't always (or even usually) put exactly the same amount of description on parallel items.
I have a truck and a bicycle.
I have a rusty, beat-up old red truck, with over 500,000 miles on its original engine, and a bicycle.
(both OK sentences)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by rsarashi » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:03 pm
Eliminate B.

Hi GMATGuruNY ,

Can't they refer to Geologists.

Please explain.

Thanks..

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:204 members

by Ali Tariq » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:32 pm
Even in that case, note
-->ugly llism as compared with llism in A
-->change in meaning
-->the changed meaning assumes nonsensical connotation
-->incorrect usage of simple present tense (for an event that occured in past).(Further, no repeated action, no universal fact etc. In short, simple present tense is not justified at all)

Please develop the habit of relative reasoning as opposed to absolute reasoning.
Absolute reasoning is good in maths;however, in SC, it is beneficial only in errors related to SVA,sentence structure, or pronouns. For errors related to comparisons, ll-ism, tenses, modifiers, you are best advised to go relative.

Vertical scanning is an important area in SC!

Contact for drastic improvement in just a few days.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:26 am
rsarashi wrote:
Eliminate B.

Hi GMATGuruNY ,

Please explain.

Thanks..
B: Streams in the Karoo basin of South Africa changed suddenly at the end of the Permian period 250 million years ago, from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern that they find in areas without deep-rooted vegetation.

Here, the modifier in red is an ADVERB serving to modify the preceding clause in blue, expressing HOW streams in the Karoo basin CHANGED.
How did streams in the Karoo basin CHANGE?
They changed FROM THE MEANDERING SHAPE...TO THE BRAIDED PATTERN.
As a result, they (subject pronoun in the modifier in red) seems to refer to streams (the subject of modified clause in blue), conveying that STREAMS find the braided pattern.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate B.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:23 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:The OA listed above is incorrect.
The OA is not C but A.

Eliminate B.

Eliminate C.

Eliminate D and E.

The correct answer is A.
Dear GMATGuru,

In light of question above, when is the usage of 'for holding' or 'for VERBing' is true? Why is it incorrect in the question above? I know that 'To + Inf.' express intention. But 'for + Verbing' express intention too.

Thanks

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:31 pm
Mo2men wrote:Dear GMATGuru,

In light of question above, when is the usage of 'for holding' or 'for VERBing' is true? Why is it incorrect in the question above? I know that 'To + Inf.' express intention. But 'for + Verbing' express intention too.

Thanks
NOUN + for + VERBing:
In this construction, the VERBing action = the SOLE PURPOSE of the modified noun.

Correct: Company X manufacturers a camera for photographing killer whales.
Conveyed meaning:
The portion in blue = the sole purpose of the camera.
The camera is not suitable for photographing snakes.

Incorrect: Company X manufacturers a camera for photographing the new killer whales that will be on display at the aquarium next week.
Conveyed meaning:
The portion in red = the sole purpose of the camera.
Clearly, the sole purpose of the camera is not photographing the new killer whales that will be on display at the aquarium next week.
The camera must have uses beyond NEXT WEEK.

B, C and E:
deep-rooted vegetation for holding the soil together
Conveyed meaning:
The portion in red = the sole purpose of the vegetation.
Not likely.
Common sense tells us that the vegetation must serve other purposes (producing oxygen through photosynthesis, providing shade, etc.).
Eliminate B, C and E.

An OA with NOUN + for + VERBing:
Astronomers have developed a scale for rating the likelihood that a particular asteroid will collide with earth.
Conveyed meaning:
The portion in blue = the sole purpose of the scale.
This meaning makes sense.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:46 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Mo2men wrote:Dear GMATGuru,

Thanks
NOUN + for + VERBing:
In this construction, the VERBing action = the SOLE PURPOSE of the modified noun.

Correct: Company X manufacturers a camera for photographing killer whales.
Conveyed meaning:
The portion in blue = the sole purpose of the camera.
The camera is not suitable for photographing snakes.

Incorrect: Company X manufacturers a camera for photographing the new killer whales that will be on display at the aquarium next week.
Conveyed meaning:
The portion in red = the sole purpose of the camera.
Clearly, the sole purpose of the camera is not photographing the new killer whales that will be on display at the aquarium next week.
The camera must have uses beyond NEXT WEEK.

B, C and E:
deep-rooted vegetation for holding the soil together
Conveyed meaning:
The portion in red = the sole purpose of the vegetation.
Not likely.
Common sense tells us that the vegetation must serve other purposes (producing oxygen through photosynthesis, providing shade, etc.).
Eliminate B, C and E.

An OA with NOUN + for + VERBing:
Astronomers have developed a scale for rating the likelihood that a particular asteroid will collide with earth.
Conveyed meaning:
The portion in blue = the sole purpose of the scale.
This meaning makes sense.
Thanks Mitch. Strong explanation as always. :)