General GMAT RC topics help please!!!

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

General GMAT RC topics help please!!!

by goelmohit2002 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:36 pm
Hi All,

During my practice of GMAT RC, I have observed that ETS's two of the favorite topics in humanities are:

1. African American History.
2. Rise of Women in America.

Since I am not a native American, so I do not have much knowledge about American history. It takes a lot of time for me to comprehend these type of passages.

Can somebody please point me to a good link where I can read the basic introduction about these above two topics. If there is some video documentary/power point presentation available on the internet for these topics, then it will be really great.

If somebody has a list of broad level of topics similar to these that ETS prefers to ask, then can he/she please share the same.

Thanks
Mohit

Legendary Member

by mals24 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:57 pm
Well the main RC topics that are tested in the GMAT are similar to the topics of RCs listed in the OG.
These topics broadly include: Science, History, Politics, Philosophy, Economics/Business or Social Science.
Plus the GMAT does not require you to have proficiency in any specific topic because you don't know what sort of RC passage you will be given in the exam.
If you want to do just a general reading on this topic to familiarize yourself with such topics you can use the following link.

https://literacynet.org/cnnsf/archives.html

The above link has passages from a variety of topics and are a good reading practice.

You can find this link in the GMAT resource section as well.

So Happy Reading :)

Legendary Member

by mals24 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:05 pm
Just want to add to the above post you can also refer to the 1000RC document. It has a huge variety of LSAT/GMAT/GRE RCs. You can pick a few RCs from the topics you feel you are weak at and practice. Its good for additional practice.

You can get this document from the following link.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/lsat-cr-and-rc-t26292.html

Caution: Practice from this document ONLY if you have sufficient preparation time. If your exam is in a few days/weeks time don't use it.
Also use this document AFTER you have completed OG and the Verbal Guide. This document is just additional practice to OG.

Legendary Member

by goelmohit2002 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:16 pm
Thanks Mals.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by hja379 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:01 pm
goelmohit2002 wrote:Hi All,

During my practice of GMAT RC, I have observed that ETS's two of the favorite topics in humanities are:

1. African American History.
2. Rise of Women in America.

Since I am not a native American, so I do not have much knowledge about American history. It takes a lot of time for me to comprehend these type of passages.

Can somebody please point me to a good link where I can read the basic introduction about these above two topics. If there is some video documentary/power point presentation available on the internet for these topics, then it will be really great.

If somebody has a list of broad level of topics similar to these that ETS prefers to ask, then can he/she please share the same.

Thanks
Mohit
Check out smithsonianmag.com One line below, but they have some very GMAT like passages.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-a ... ainst.html
Google "GMAT Pill"<--really helpful, worth checking out--especially for RC passages.
e-gmat SC: Never thought it would be fun learning SC.
India School Fund: Education through Innovation - A HBS start-up.