Gave gmat today

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Gave gmat today

by anksm22 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:26 am
I gave GMAT today scored 590(q48,v23). I prepared hard for 3 months but scored decent score in mock but screwed my verbal. In verbal I scored less that what I scored in my mocks. Should I retake the test in November? But the issue is I will . miss the R2 deadlines of most the top colleges.

I read manhattan sentence correction twice, lsat powerscore , did OG verbal and and OG 13 . my accuracy rate was approx. 75% in almost every verbal section but i don't know what happens when i do the same in mock under some time constraint. I dont understand where I went wrong . The more i studied the more confused I got.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:43 am
Hi anksm22,

While you're not happy about your score, you should remember that you can retake the GMAT and Business Schools won't mind. I'd suggest that you take a couple of days off before diving back into your studies. To help you put together a new plan though, I'd like to know a bit more about the work that you did:

1) How does your Official score compare to your practice CAT scores? Can you provide a list of your CAT scores? What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each?
2) Other than the books that you listed (and any practice CATs that you took), did you use any other GMAT resources?

Round 2 deadlines for many schools are not until December or January, so I don't think that you're going to miss many of them. What schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by anksm22 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:02 am
Hi Sir

I prepared for about 3 months. And the books that I referred were Manhattan Guides, OG 13, OG quant and verbal 2nd edition, Lsat powerscore , Kaplan verbal workbook , Kaplan 800 and some 700+ CR and quant pdf.

my scores:
Gmat prep 1: 540(q44,v21)
mgcat 1 : 540(q46,v19)
mgcat 2 : 440( this was because i missed a lot of quant questions)
mgcat 3 : 590(q44,v29)
veritas : 650(q49,v31)
mgcat 4 : 640(q47,v31)
mgcat 5 : 660(q46,v34)
Gmat prep 1:660
mgcat 6 : 590(q44,v27)
Gmat prep 2: 640(q49,v28)
GMAT : 590(q48,v23)

These are my scores. I planned for top colleges but now don't see any hope

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:13 am
Hi anksm22,

When you took your practice CATs, how often did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR)? Did you ever skip sections? Which CAT scores are complete CATs and which are those with skipped section(s)?

You mentioned wanting to apply to "top schools", so what is your score goal?

Rich

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:54 am
I think that you have studied too many verbal sources. They are probably giving you different techniques that are not needed. For example, PowerScore is for the LSAT and for some students it is too much to take in for the GMAT and can lead to confusion.

Ask yourself this, "Do you have a standard procedure for each type of question on the verbal section?" And if so does that procedure help you to FOCUS on the right portions of each question.

Great verbal techniques are about helping you to use your natural reasoning, reading, and grammar abilities while focusing you on the correct portion of the stimulus.

If you are trying to hard to remember a bunch of different procedures and are not allowing yourself to really focus on the question this can become a big problem.

I suggest that you write down the steps that you take to each type of question and analyze them in terms of how they can help focus you instead of confusing you (as often happens on the verbal section).

If you would like I can suggest some things to think about for each verbal type.

David
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by anksm22 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:08 pm
Sir, I gave my test with AWA and IR . My target score is 700+ .I want a good score for scholarship. Is it achievable in a month?

Sir i guess i have studied from various sources and hence, confused myself. Initially there was some improvement in the score but with time i got more and more confused. I may not have a standard procedure for each type. Your suggestions will be welcomed.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:55 pm
Hi anksm22,

Assuming that you took the ENTIRE practice CAT every time, there are still some issues with your consistency. Looking over the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores, there's a bit too much of a variation for you to expect that you would score 700+.

With a V23, your problems extended beyond just CR. It implies that you were inconsistent in how you approached questions, took notes, etc. Without knowing the exact nature of your studies, my guess would be that you "narrowed it down to 2 choices, then chose the one that 'sounded good'" way too often. That approach is something that many Test Takers who self-study from books tend to use - and it rarely leads to a 700+ performance.

There are methods to learn GMAT tactics quickly, so you might be ready to retest in a month and hit your goals. Receiving some "tips" won't be enough though. You have to be open to approaching the Verbal section in a different way, have time to practice a great deal and then remember your training (and do the work correctly) on Test Day.

Rich

by anksm22 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:31 am
Hi sir,
I guess that is the problem with me I reduce the choices to two and then take a guess.